Photo

Staying on an asteroid over multiple turns...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

In my last game my "Dark Curse" spent THREE consecutive turns on the same asteroid because a traffic jam of ships kept moving in front of him and prevented him from moving off said asteroid.

So, in that game, my opponent and I agreed that he didn't need to roll for damage each turn because the rules seem to indicate that you don't roll for asteroid damage for leaving the asteroid you are already on, which "Dark Curse" was trying to do.

However, does it say anywhere anything about staying on the same asteroid over multiple turns? Maybe this needs to be FAQed because with large ships I can see this happening more often.   

The Imperial 7th Fleet - waiting for Armada

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 2 VT-49 Decimators, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters, 1 Lambda - 26 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 79 kills versus 49 losses

The 721st Imperial Assault Regiment - 2 Victories, 1 Defeat

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

You actually can roll for damage on asteroids that you're already on. You roll for damage any time you end your move on an asteroid or your movement template overlaps an asteroid. In the example you gave, you actually should have rolled for damage each turn. That said, actually getting stuck on an asteroid like that either takes a lot of skill from your opponent, a lack of skill planning movements from you, or a crazy bit of luck.

#3 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

That said, actually getting stuck on an asteroid like that either takes a lot of skill from your opponent, a lack of skill planning movements from you, or a crazy bit of luck.

Well, I was using an 8 TIE swarm and my opponent had a Firespray and two fighters and the furball was right in front of "Dark Curse", who was on the asteroid and for the next two turns I just couldn't move off because there was no room in front of the asteroid.

I guess I could have done a hard 3 to the right or left but I didn't foresee the furball of fighters swirling and churning like that for several turns in a row right in my "Dark Curse"'s desired flight path.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 2 VT-49 Decimators, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters, 1 Lambda - 26 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 79 kills versus 49 losses

#4 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

The FAQ on this issue is a little more confusing than I'd like.

It says you don't AUTOMATICALLY collide with the asteroid if you start on top of it.  But all the normal rules still apply, so if you're in a position where your template overlaps it, or (as in your case) blocked ships end up landing on top of it agian, you still have to deal with all the fun of the obstacle.

#5 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Yep, the stuck ship would end up rolling for coll1ision damage every turn it is stuck on teh asteroid.  You don't roll because you start on teh rock, but rather because you ended up on it again.

Enimo Et Fide

#6 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yep, the stuck ship would end up rolling for coll1ision damage every turn it is stuck on teh asteroid.  You don't roll because you start on teh rock, but rather because you ended up on it again.

Makes sense. I'll know how to play it when it comes up again, which I'm sure it will.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS