Restoration spell vs the Reaper

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drweavil

drweavil

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hey all, first post here. Ill explain my question.

The other day me and 2 friends were playing Talisman, eventually the Reaper landed on me, and I rolled a 1 on a dice which if i do it says on the reaper card:

1. 'It is time.' Lose all lives, you are killed.

I thought to myself, "Oh this sucks." Everyone laughed at me ofcourse.

Then I remembered I had this spell card Restoration: "Cast as required, on any character or Follower, to prevent a character from losing a life or a Follower from being killed."

So I used it, but one of my mates who wanted me dead started arguing saying like "You cant use that, the reaper killed you", I said: "Why wouldn't I be able to? It says on the spell card that it will PREVENT ONE LIFE from being lost, and on the Grim reapers card it basically says "Lose all lives>you are killed(because you lost all your lives)"" But I PREVENTED ONE LIFE from being harmed, so I survived? it doesnt say anywhere in the rule book anything about this, we started arguing like crazy, my mate said "The reaper killed you man, you cant do anything" I continued to argue: "No, He took all my lives which led to my death, but I prevented one of my lifes from being lost, so I survived" We decided to make a post on this forum to get it settled, but it was down at that moment.

So, dear talisman players, what do you guys think about all this? to me it only sounds the most logical that I could use the spell card to prevent the loss of one life.(Please read the post carefully to fully understand both point of views)

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

I'm afraid you can't use the Restoration Spell to prevent the Reaper from killing you. You may only use the Spell to prevent the loss of 1 life, so you could use it to save 1 life from the Finger of Death but not when a card says lose all lives or you are killed!

Ell.

#3 drweavil

drweavil

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

I'm afraid you can't use the Restoration Spell to prevent the Reaper from killing you. You may only use the Spell to prevent the loss of 1 life, so you could use it to save 1 life from the Finger of Death but not when a card says lose all lives or you are killed!

Ell.

Alright, it still sounds logical to me that I would be able to use it to prevent one of the lives to go down the drain, but I guess not. thanks

#4 ososober

ososober

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Ell.

I disagree with you on this Ell, loose all lives (could be one could be 15 or more, the amount is arbitary), however, the spell clearly states, prevents the loss of one live,  so loose all lives, but 1, now means you are not dead,

now the second part of the live "you are dead" refers to loosing your last live i believe, but with the spell in question, you have not lost your last life and therefore you are not dead.

would love to get an official verdict on this

#5 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Ah, this is the thread I was looking for. However it is a different source but may contain the same problem: Phoenix potion.

Would the Phoenix potion save someone from the Reaper or something similar? Alternate end card is scepter is used in battle and a life is lost, character is killed.

#6 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

I cannot refind it on the internet. But I printed this Alternate Ending card:

Sceptre of Ruin

During any battle or Psychic combat where the scepter is present, any character losing any lives at all is killed outright.

There is more text but this is the heart of the question.

The Phoenix Potion:

You may discard this potion when you lose your last life to immediately heal all of your lives.

#7 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

I cannot refind it on the internet. But I printed this Alternate Ending card:

Sceptre of Ruin

During any battle or Psychic combat where the scepter is present, any character losing any lives at all is killed outright.

There is more text but this is the heart of the question.

The Phoenix Potion:

You may discard this potion when you lose your last life to immediately heal all of your lives.

I think nobody here can give an official answer about this, because it's a fan-made Alternative Ending.

However, the heart of the question is "can I use Phoenix Potion against "you are killed" effects"?

FFG answers only to direct questions, they do not participate in these forums, but I suspect they're reading them. You can only hope to see this included in a future FAQ document.

As for my personal opinion, any card that makes you gain lives, or heal lives, or prevents loss of lives, has nothing to do with the "you are killed" effects. Official answers may be completely different.

Edited by The_Warlock, 19 November 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#8 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

From the FAQ:

Healing
Q: Can a character cast the Healing Spell when he loses his
last life?
A: No. A character must have at least one life remaining in

order to heal or gain life.

Since the Healing spell is a cast as required, just as is Restoration, I would tend to think the Restoration isn't valid to prevent the insta-death effect of the Reaper or other similar situations. Tough question to really have answered though. I think  this bit from the FAQ is the closest to answering it, but it isn't entirely the same situation either.

#9 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

One problem not mentioned is the name "The Phoenix Potion". This name signifies life from ashes. Tho this may not effect rules, just "flavor".

#10 ososober

ososober

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

i see it as a simple trigger and effect clause

spell restoration trigger is losing life can not cast the resoration spell till the trigger effect has /will appen, 

ganme rules say you can not cast a spell with out a valid target so you cant cast restoration until the loss of life happens/trigger point to cast the spell

example i will use the reaper

reaper lose all lives -  lose of all remaining lives this activates the potential to cast resotation as the trigger of lose of life is now active for the spell to be legally cast (prior to this lose of life the spell can not be cast)

rule book states a spell can not be cast without an effect

cast restoration prevent the loss of one life, so the trigger lose all lives is now lose all lives but 1, if spell is not countered via counterspell then the result should be staying on 1 life

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS