Photo

What Star Wars minis do you think you'll use most in EotE?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

I've been trawling ebay for the 25mm West End Games/Grenadier lead minis I wanted but couldn't afford at the time.

And if FFG does do a minis game, may the Great Maker save us from the curse of floppy prepainted plastic miniatures!

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#42 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

I've been trawling ebay for the 25mm West End Games/Grenadier lead minis I wanted but couldn't afford at the time.

And if FFG does do a minis game, may the Great Maker save us from the curse of floppy prepainted plastic miniatures!

Well, the X-Wing miniatures are pre-painted, but they're of very high quality and not at all floppy like the WotC starship minis could sometimes be. Hopefully any sort of character miniatures would be of a similar quality.

#43 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

There was/is a SW miniature game with painted miniatures. Anyone know where I can find those?

The WOTC game? If so, I would imagine their license ran out and they no longer make them. NobleKnight sells them still, as do other sites.
"Over the line!"

#44 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'd like some sort of standups. For WFRP we use the card board standups and they're just fine. But it seems FFG won't include that kind of stuff with this game.

#45 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'd like some sort of standups. For WFRP we use the card board standups and they're just fine. But it seems FFG won't include that kind of stuff with this game.

Cardboard standups might fall within the realm of 'board game', which FFG don't have the rights to.

Still, they're easy enough to make on one's own!

#46 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

One potential resource for minis if folks are looking to find something useable without paying a lot of money is the site "Paper Friends."

http://www.seven-won...iendsindex.html

Skip down to the Film section, and he's got about a 100 files for Star Wars that can be used.  You've got to download them from Rapidshare, which I've found can be... touchy at times about downloading files.

• Mark It Zero and aljovin like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#47 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

One potential resource for minis if folks are looking to find something useable without paying a lot of money is the site "Paper Friends."

Skip down to the Film section, and he's got about a 100 files for Star Wars that can be used.  You've got to download them from Rapidshare, which I've found can be... touchy at times about downloading files.

Oh hey. I can see a couple of my pieces from SWAG there, like the ones marked "Alderaanian Sith", "Jodaka Sith" and "Gungan Jedi" in the Page 01.

#48 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

Oh hey. I can see a couple of my pieces from SWAG there, like the ones marked "Alderaanian Sith", "Jodaka Sith" and "Gungan Jedi" in the Page 01.

Yeah, I noticed quite a bit of artwork was taken from other sources without any sort of credit to the original artist, and not just the Star Wars ones either.

Still, for a GM with a limited budget, they're a viable option, and the guy isn't charging anything for them.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#49 bandersnee

bandersnee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Ooooo.... Sorry, Hish.  Nobody likes to have their work ripped especially without credit.  And I know how hard you work on what you do.

#50 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

It's okay, I guess. We'd like to have some attribution, but hey, as long as it helps other enjoy playing Star Wars, right? It's what SWAG was created for. :)

I'll see about making more paper minis for you guys after my workload slows down in the near future.

Ooooo.... Sorry, Hish.  Nobody likes to have their work ripped especially without credit.  And I know how hard you work on what you do.

#51 gilbur

gilbur

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

i will be using all my minis in my game as I did for my SAGA game. There are places out there still taking and selling star wars mini as I just did a complete inventory for Miniature Market who is buying and selling the miniatures as is Noble Knight games as well, which noble knight games would even look into trading for other miniatures as well.

#52 bandersnee

bandersnee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'll see about making more paper minis for you guys after my workload slows down in the near future.

With as many paper minis as there are out there, it surprises me that there are so many more niches left to be filled.  For example, I don't think I've ever seen a Rancor to scale.  And as much as I've used AT-PTs when I run the Pirates of Praxear scenario (which I've run I don't know how many times), I've never really had a good mini that I'm satisfied for that.

#53 strongarm85

strongarm85

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

I've been building up a collection of random miniatures for about a month now. I'm up to about 40 right now with a wide range of miniatures.

I've been toying with the idea of using X-wing Miniatures for Space Combat. Strip out the actual combat mechanics of X-wing and use the mechanics and stats listed in Edge of the Empire. Use the same range bands used in the Miniatures game. Use the movement dials for each ship and the guiders.

#54 Darkin

Darkin

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

I probably went way overboard on SW minis.  When an old WotC player posted to those forums about the old WEG Star Wars Miniatures Battles ruleset, it only contributed to my addiction for Star Wars mini stuff.  Apparantly West End Games had put out a ruleset to play Star Wars Miniatures tabletop like Warhammer or 40k back the D6 days.  I couldn't believe it and finding that out I went nuts acquiring WotC minis, sci-fi terrain and the like.  Thousands of minis. 

What will I use the most?   I'm not sure.  However, I'm a huge fan of playing Edge of the Empire on the fringes, so lots and lots of fringers of course.  Hopefully some day we get supplements or rules for Old Republic or Clone Wars era characters.  Otherwise that's hundreds and hundreds of minis just sitting getting unused.  I'll probably be seeking about a way to trade away a lot of the VRs and Rs I accumulated over the years.  I don't need a hundred Vaders or a ten Boba Fetts.  Just one iconic pose for each. 

One of the things I'm most excited about is incorporating FFG X-Wing into the RPG campaign.  Player skills pretty easily translate to the ship game.  I like acting out ship combat in its own system.  It rewards players for dumping skills into Piloting and the like.  I guess the idea is that if someone in the group is going to end up supporting the party by being a pilot, they should have aspects in the campaign that reward that.  Often times just the combat skills seem to get rewarded.  I want to change that in my game.

Anyone looking to play near Boulder/Longmont Colorado reach out to me.

#55 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I'm not entirely sure how you'd use miniatures in the game, to be honest, considering the abstract ranges, etc.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#56 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm not entirely sure how you'd use miniatures in the game, to be honest, considering the abstract ranges, etc.

I find that having at least a rough map and indications of positioning thereon goes a long way toward removing confusion about who is where relative to whom.  In turn, that goes a long way toward minimizing the amount of:

P1: "Wait... He's where?  I thought you said he was over by the ship!"

GM: "He is.  He's by the freighter."

P1: "But I'm by the freighter."

GM: "No.  You're over by the *other* freighter."

P1: "There's two freighters?!"

GM: "There's three.  I told you that."

P2: "I don't think so.  Where am I relative to those freighters."

GM: "You're in hallway leading to the control room."

P2: "How the heck did I get there?"

#57 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

I find that having at least a rough map and indications of positioning thereon goes a long way toward removing confusion about who is where relative to whom.  In turn, that goes a long way toward minimizing the amount of:

P1: "Wait... He's where?  I thought you said he was over by the ship!"

GM: "He is.  He's by the freighter."

P1: "But I'm by the freighter."

GM: "No.  You're over by the *other* freighter."

P1: "There's two freighters?!"

GM: "There's three.  I told you that."

P2: "I don't think so.  Where am I relative to those freighters."

GM: "You're in hallway leading to the control room."

P2: "How the heck did I get there?"

I guess I've just never had those sorts of issues with my group. We've never used minis, and never used maps, and our combats have worked fine.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#58 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

To tell you the truth this works just as fine and this was how I ran my Star Wars games 90% of the time since '89. The game probably goes faster too.

I guess I've just never had those sorts of issues with my group. We've never used minis, and never used maps, and our combats have worked fine.

#59 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

To tell you the truth this works just as fine and this was how I ran my Star Wars games 90% of the time since '89. The game probably goes faster too.

It's probably because, in most games I run/play, combat isn't the main focus, so my groups tend to go through them quite quickly, so they can get onto other things.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS