Photo

What Star Wars minis do you think you'll use most in EotE?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Anywhere still selling SW minis?

Definitely check out coolstuffinc.com. They ship any nuber of minis for 99 cents.  The cool thing about the RPG is that there is lots of use for less expensive commons and uncommons, and less use for rares and very rares.  I think you could build up a nice base of humans, rodians, droids, and even a few stormtroopers from the later sets for a small investment.

Also check out abprices.com... they will tell you what the minis are selling for on multiple sites.  But, coolstuffinc has the best shipping and a great selection.

I would like to see some more cardboard tokens, as much as I would love to, I am too cheap to stock up on the WotC minis.

I also might make my own. I would scan the beginner game tokens, print more on regular cardstock, and glue them to 1 inch wooden discs made from sawing up wooden rods from a craft store.

One thing I did is take some of the Star Wars minis images (also found on coolstuffinc) and put them in a table in Word.  Then I cut them out to make my own tokens.  This would be an inexpensive option.

I would like to see some more cardboard tokens, as much as I would love to, I am too cheap to stock up on the WotC minis.

I also might make my own. I would scan the beginner game tokens, print more on regular cardstock, and glue them to 1 inch wooden discs made from sawing up wooden rods from a craft store.

If you're planning on doing a lot, something like this might save you a lot of effort. A little more expensive than a wood rod but much more easier. (Haven't tried it myself)

This would be a great way to do it. But, since the table I create leads to square segments, even an exacto knife and a metal ruler would work.

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  3 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  3 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#22 Gamerunner

Gamerunner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

I've been running the Beta for a few months and always use figs from the Bounty Hunter set. Multiple alien minions, speeder bikes, human thugs, etc... and a few troops and the Hutt from Rebel Storm.

#23 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

The WotC collection was really VERY comprehensive; there were only a handful remaining that truly needed to be done, and I can't think of any conspicuously absent Rebellion era types. I'll be using those.

HOWEVER: there's one other interestin' alternative - those new Fighter Pods guys. Okay, laugh it up, fuzzball!! They're currently on clearance @ Target, and they're a better fit for the few maps we've already seen than the big 30mm Wizards minis. It's a thought! MUCH less variety, though.

#24 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

lets keep the hope that FFG will bring us some new miniature game in the future and expand our colections.
but with the way they design the narrative combat system make this a little distant future.

I may be the only one, but I'm really hoping FFG comes out with a squad based minis game that is a mixture of X-Wing and Dust Tactics.

#25 Chimaera

Chimaera

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

lets keep the hope that FFG will bring us some new miniature game in the future and expand our colections.
but with the way they design the narrative combat system make this a little distant future.

I may be the only one, but I'm really hoping FFG comes out with a squad based minis game that is a mixture of X-Wing and Dust Tactics.

Totally back this one.

FFG could have a very successful minis game that could run along side and support the RPG.

It's a shame Dust tactics is moving to another distributor because their minis design was excellent. If FFG does move forward with a minis game (or even minis to support the RPG) they should commission Dust studios to do the design. One thing Wizards got wrong was quality control and quite often they would produce minis slightly out of scale, low detail and sloppy paint jobs, basically consistency was an issue. I couldn't see Dust studios making the same errors. Using the Dust model of offering unpainted and premium painted minis options would also be an excellent delivery method..

#26 The Whacko

The Whacko

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

I fully intend to use my old minis as much as possible. Namely the Rodian Blaster-For-Hire.

Edited by The Whacko, 04 July 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#27 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

If you're planning on doing a lot, something like this might save you a lot of effort. A little more expensive than a wood rod but much more easier. (Haven't tried it myself)
Ooh, I had forgotten about that thing! Thanks, I might have to order me one. I was mostly just looking for an excuse to fire up a a saw. I might still, I was also thinking some spray paint would let me color the discs differently for identification purposes. It'd be nice to have a few variations for commonly used enemies to help identify different minion groups for instance.

Anyway, the one inch hole punch will be a huge help, and they sell that for $9, so I will scout the cost of making my own tokens to glue them to, and see what sounds more affordable. :)

Edited by Mark It Zero, 04 July 2013 - 10:25 PM.

"Over the line!"

#28 ShadowStar

ShadowStar

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm confused...  You can use minis with this game?

I mean, I guess you can use them with any game, but there had been so much talk about EotE from the story-only/anti-grid-tactics folks that I just kind of thought that this game was written in a way where there would be no functional, rules-based use for them.

#29 Lickintoad

Lickintoad

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

I mean, I guess you can use them with any game, but there had been so much talk about EotE from the story-only/anti-grid-tactics folks that I just kind of thought that this game was written in a way where there would be no functional, rules-based use for them.

There's not a huge tactical part of the rules, no.  But people love maps.  And people love minis, even in "Theater of the mind" games.  Even the beginner game included tokens to use on maps to give visual references for distances and the like.

#30 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

There's not a huge tactical part of the rules, no.  But people love maps.  And people love minis, even in "Theater of the mind" games.  Even the beginner game included tokens to use on maps to give visual references for distances and the like.

Yeah, having played Edge in person and online several times, I can say that having maps and markers at least helps keep the 'theater of the mind' straight. Saying something like 'the Twi'lek thug runs to the back corner' works a lot better when you and your players can see which corner you mean and know where it is in reference to the minibar.

#31 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

I don't use mini's, we're more of a pure imagination group.

#32 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

I am playing with 2 new players, and having a map, even using abstract distances, allowed for them to really surprise me with their descriptions. For instance, in the Cantina, the Bounty Hunter kept from the stage and ran across the table tops to try and get a clear shot (and look kinda awesome in the process.) The smuggler (also new) during the same encounter said, "I run over and leap behind the bar, taking a shot at the Gamorrean as I do so. Even tallied his own strain loss.

Not having some sort of visual representation would have probably made her resistant to getting so descriptive in their very first ever gaming encounter. Not just game, but literally the second time they picked up dice! (The first were hilarious attempts at hiding.) That is what sold me!

I'm still using abstract everything else, but this game blends really well with minis despite the grid free movement. You just lay down a map, scale can even be a tiny bit off, because then you just tell them how far it is from one side to the other, and they will know how many maneuvers it will take to get where they want to go. They won't have to spend time counting squares. If it'll take two maneuvers to cross the cantina and hop the bar, they will just say they are doing so.
"Over the line!"

#33 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

I make my own paper minis! :)

papermini-fringer-aliens-03.jpg

papermini-eote-beginner-game-01.jpg

• Mark It Zero, aljovin and Farsox like this

#34 Farsox

Farsox

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I make my own paper minis! :)

papermini-fringer-aliens-03.jpg

papermini-eote-beginner-game-01.jpg

I downloaded some of these from your blog a little while back.  They definitely have more appeal for me than tokens, and are a cheaper option than buying the WotC miniatures.  Plus, you can make a paper miniature to fit any character.

Thank you for putting these together.

• Hishgraphics likes this

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

Specialization Trees

#35 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

I downloaded some of these from your blog a little while back.  They definitely have more appeal for me than tokens, and are a cheaper option than buying the WotC miniatures.  Plus, you can make a paper miniature to fit any character.

Thank you for putting these together.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy them. It'd be great to see photos of other groups using these for game some day. I'll try to make some more when I have the time. Maybe more bounty hunters or people in Rebel Alliance uniforms and such. Time's always the problem. ;-)

• Farsox likes this

#36 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

WotC Star Wars minis are fantastic but so are the WotC Dungeons & Dragons minis for alien species and monster encounters.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#37 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Last I checked you can get some of the Star Wars minis of common rarity, like stormtroopers and alien thugs, pretty dirt cheap on sites like Strike Zone.

#38 Dublindawg

Dublindawg

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I will chime in and also say that CoolStuffInc has a great selection of miniatures.  Just don't buy them all up before I can buy what I need over the next couple of weeks.  I was able to locate my original Star Wars miniatures map of a town setting on Tattooine (not sure which product it came with) and plan to use it in my campaign for when/if the party goes exploring in Mos Shuuta and run afoul with the storm troopers. 

Which reminds me, if others are using the beginner boxset adventure as the leapfrog into the mechanics of this great new RPG setting, has anyone consider turning Lt. Herkin into a rival that harries the party on and off in future adventures?  I am considering making him someone that they have to contend with if they kill Teemo later on.  He is after them for killing one of his black market connections and as such might be after them to bring them to justice or use them to help him make a new connection and work some type of obligation in. 

#39 Naglareph

Naglareph

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Juste downloaded your mini's from your blog.

Looks awsome on a bit of cardboard. Cheers!

May the Force be with you.

I II III IV V VI

#40 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

There was/is a SW miniature game with painted miniatures. Anyone know where I can find those?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS