Many Questions for Clarification!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bdubgnarkill

bdubgnarkill

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Played Talisman 2 weeks ago, and fell in love with it. I bought the game as well as the Reaper expansion. But I need some clarification on some things we came across. 

The spell "Shatter" allows me to destroy an OBJECT of another player. Does this also include MAGIC OBJECTS (for example, a talisman)?

If you lose your talisman on the Crown of Command, are you returned to the Plain of Peril? Or does that not matter? And a follow up with that, if you do battle on the Crown of Command, can you take the opponents talisman (assuming the first part of this question sends you to the Plain of Peril)?

The "Fountain of Wisdom" is a place. You put 4 craft on it when it reveals. Whenever you land on it, you get to take one. Does this also include the person who just barely revealed the card this turn, would they get to draw a Craft?

"Fairy" says the first good character to land here will get one wish (health, str, craft, ect). If I am good, and I just revealed the card this round, do I use it right away, or do I need to return to this spot.

Dark Cultist is an awesome character, but we had a few questions about her ability. Whenever she kills an enemy or defeats another character, she gets an ability increase. Does killing an enemy also include the sentinel to cross the bridge, a drunk farmer from the tavern, and pitfiends in the inner region? Basically, I know that if you kill an enemy on a card, you get this bonus. But what about defeating enemies that do not have cards that are involved on the board?

The Monk allows you to add your CRAFT VALUE to your Strength during battle. Is the Craft Value ever modified (for example if you gain more craft thru trophies or items), or is it just the printed value and will never increase? So basically, the max you can achieve with the Monk is an additional 3.

When there are multiple items and followers in a space, can I collect them all? Or just one at a time?

If there is multiple gold in an area, and I land on it, can I collect it all? Or just one at a time?

I understand that if an adventure card is drawn and its a PLACE, that it is left there. And if its in a "Draw One Card" space, that you no longer draw cards when visiting this area. But, what about if an item was left in the area? Can you grab the item AND draw a card? Or just obtain the item?

I know that is a lot for now, but these all came up while playing. Likely going to get another expansion soon... I already have The Reaper, so which one should I pick up next?

Edited by bdubgnarkill, 03 July 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Played Talisman 2 weeks ago, and fell in love with it. I bought the game as well as the Reaper expansion. But I need some clarification on some things we came across. 

The spell "Shatter" allows me to destroy an OBJECT of another player. Does this also include MAGIC OBJECTS (for example, a talisman)?

Yes

If you lose your talisman on the Crown of Command, are you returned to the Plain of Peril? Or does that not matter? And a follow up with that, if you do battle on the Crown of Command, can you take the opponents talisman (assuming the first part of this question sends you to the Plain of Peril)?

No, you only need a Talisman on the Valley of Fire

The "Fountain of Wisdom" is a place. You put 4 craft on it when it reveals. Whenever you land on it, you get to take one. Does this also include the person who just barely revealed the card this turn, would they get to draw a Craft?

Yes

"Fairy" says the first good character to land here will get one wish (health, str, craft, ect). If I am good, and I just revealed the card this round, do I use it right away, or do I need to return to this spot.

As above, right away

Dark Cultist is an awesome character, but we had a few questions about her ability. Whenever she kills an enemy or defeats another character, she gets an ability increase. Does killing an enemy also include the sentinel to cross the bridge, a drunk farmer from the tavern, and pitfiends in the inner region? Basically, I know that if you kill an enemy on a card, you get this bonus. But what about defeating enemies that do not have cards that are involved on the board?

No, those are classed as "creatures"

The Monk allows you to add your CRAFT VALUE to your Strength during battle. Is the Craft Value ever modified (for example if you gain more craft thru trophies or items), or is it just the printed value and will never increase? So basically, the max you can achieve with the Monk is an additional 3.

Indeed, though there may be effects that adjust your Craft Value.

When there are multiple items and followers in a space, can I collect them all? Or just one at a time?

Any and all that you are able to take at the time, dependent on Alignment, Object limits etc.

If there is multiple gold in an area, and I land on it, can I collect it all? Or just one at a time?

All.

I understand that if an adventure card is drawn and its a PLACE, that it is left there. And if its in a "Draw One Card" space, that you no longer draw cards when visiting this area. But, what about if an item was left in the area? Can you grab the item AND draw a card? Or just obtain the item?

The item IS the card for that encounter. A spell in the space (e.g. Hex) would also count as the card in the space

I know that is a lot for now, but these all came up while playing. Likely going to get another expansion soon... I already have The Reaper, so which one should I pick up next?

I'd probably plump for the Frostmarch or Sacred Pool for more cards, or the Dungeon if you want to ramp up the difficulty

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#3 bdubgnarkill

bdubgnarkill

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hey, thanks a bunch talismanisland!

Most of my questions I asked, I was pretty sure I knew the answer to, but I had to make sure and clarify.

Also, one more question that I forgot to ask...

Warlock quests thru the Reaper Expansion, are now cards. It says that when you land there, the player selects the quest? So he looks thru the cards and selects the one he wants to do? Or he selects the quest card while face down?

#4 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

If you look in the rule sheet for The Reaper, it states that when you visit the Warlock's Cave, you can freely choose from the quests there.

I prefer a random draw however...

#5 bdubgnarkill

bdubgnarkill

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Again, I thought that was the case. And I also prefer the random draw, so thats how we have been playing it.

Anyway, just got The Dungeon. I'll give this new expansion a go!

Edited by bdubgnarkill, 03 July 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#6 bdubgnarkill

bdubgnarkill

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Indeed, though there may be effects that adjust your Craft Value.

I took a look thru some cards, and there were followers and a few items that added "Craft". So I don't think this counts towards craft value. What are some instances where you can gain "Craft Value"?

#7 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

Just for an example, the Brainwave Spell from The Frostmarch expansion doubles your Craft Value until the end of your turn and the Chant of Wisdom Quest Reward from The Sacred Pool increases your Craft Value by 1. 

#8 bdubgnarkill

bdubgnarkill

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Another question popped up last night. 

Thief has max items (4 items), and he steals another item from another player... just to drop it to be mean. Is this allowed?

Same scenario... Thief has max items, steals another item from another player and keeps it, but must ditch an item. Is this allowed?

Also, is it just me, or is the Dark Cultist outrageously powerful?

#9 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Page 12 of the rulebook covers both of these -

Any character acquiring more than four Objects must decide which to keep. The remainder are immediately placed faceup on the character’s space.

...and though the Dark Cultist is powerful, assured victory depends on an awful lot of factors. :D

Edited by talismanisland, 05 July 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#10 Froman

Froman

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Also, is it just me, or is the Dark Cultist outrageously powerful?

It is one of the more powerful characters, but I have lost miserably a few times with her. If you keep getting life/spells when you roll for her reward, or gold (before the city) then her one main ability does nothing for you.

#11 bdubgnarkill

bdubgnarkill

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

There are cards in "The City" expansion that say... Take a Card from the Shop Deck. What is the shop deck? Is it any card from any deck including the armory, magic and potions?

You encounter two creatures, a Strength and a Craft. First you fight the strength and lose. Do you have to fight the second creature? Or are you done because you already lost combat?

There is an object in the adventure deck that says "When you encounter an ENEMY, you may defeat it automatically" (basically sums it up). Is an enemy a creature only? Or can an enemy also be a character?

The Barmaid, her special power seems way too good. Say she is positioned 1 space away from the Thief. And she rolls a 5, so she begins her move by approaching the Thief, and decides to finish her move there and punish the Thief. Is this really how it works? Or do you have to land on the Thief?

#12 Grand Moff Terra

Grand Moff Terra

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Yes, she can end her move in any space along her route that contains a character, but she has to pour them a drink if she does, which means she cannot encounter the space.

#13 bdubgnarkill

bdubgnarkill

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Still looking for help for the other 3 questions I have.

#14 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

When it says "any shop deck", it refers to the Armoury, Emporium, Pet decks etc.

If you lose the battle against the Strength Enemy then your turn ends immediately.

Anything that refers to Enemy means only Enemy cards, not creatures.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS