Nanok overpowered??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hasharin

Hasharin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Nanok of the blade seems really OP to me, an automatic surge and a black dice? Never played a campaign with him but he seems almost unfair to me. Is he OP?

Edited by Hasharin, 03 July 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#2 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have played both with and against Nanok.  I don't feel he is over powered at all.

Keep in mind that he only gets a free surge IF he does not have armor equipped.  This is a fairly significant IF,

In addition, he is the only hero (I am pretty sure this is true) that has a black defense die.  This is because of how they chose to convert his character from D1.  In D1, his default armor was *, meaning that his armor was actually based on the number of black power dice he rolled.  By default this was 2, but could grow if you purchased additional trait dice.

It is still, however, possible (1 in 6) to roll no shields on a black power die.  If you choose to have no armor equipped (in order to get a free surge), this could be devastating.

Just my two cents worth.

#3 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

One other thing ...

The vast majority of heroes (all but 2 I think) use a silver defense die by default.  If you assume that a blank is never rolled, the silver defense provides an average of 1.6 shields.

Nanok uses a black defense die.  If you assume that a blank is never rolled, the black defense provides an average of 2.6 shields.  This is only 1 extra shield on average.  While not insignificant, it is not so over the top to make playing with or against Nanok unreasonable.

#4 Sym

Sym

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I would say Nanok is absolutely overpowered.  A single black defense die may not be that powerful when placed in the face of act two monsters, but Nanok is built to totally overcome his already-flimsy disadvantage of being unable to wear armor, in exchange for limitless power.

He has great movement and stamina as far as warriors are concerned, his health is in the average category, his stats are configured to grant him a strong resistance to trapping, and he has an "enemy misses" feat that he can use after an attack is determined to be too powerful or his defense was rolled too poorly.  Defense that is already slightly higher to compensate for his lack of interest in wearing armor (sorry Eliam, I guess you're just the wrong kind of nimble).

As a whole, I feel he slips through a lot of situations and does a fantastic job of totally disincentivizing spending actions to attack him - On top of almost completely negating the drawback of the powerful but risky red power die weapons (Zorek help you if he gets his muscles on the Grinding Axe).  All while maintaining decent defensive beef in act 1, and passable beef in act 2.

He rattles my jackies harder than Elder Mok, Lindel and Truthseer Kel combined.

#5 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

@Sym:

I do agree with many of your points in general ... but I think you have to remember that some of the stuff you mention are one time things (for the given encounter).  Such as his Heroic Feat. Yes, it is nice for him to be able to consider a powerful successful attack a miss, but once he does, that ability is gone.

I actually have not had a hard time playing against him as an OL.  You just need to compensate your strategies accordingly.

#6 JohnMill

JohnMill

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

I've both played with and against Nanok. He is one of our faforite heroes as it comes to doing damage (Always as the Beserker).

As the OL it's terrifying to see Nanok with "Weapon Mastery" (exhaust for extra surge) and a weapon like "Iron Battleaxe" (surges for damage) or "Grinding Axe" (surges for many damage). And see him attack somewhere between 7-14 damage.

As the Hero it always sucks when the OL throws a "Dark Charm" on Nanok (to test his willpower of 2) and see him attack one of your heroes or Nanok himself with that same damage (once bashed Avric KO in one blast). Or being sabotaged with a stream of pittraps and tripwires so Nanok can't even begin to attack.

I believe Nanok is the strongest Hero in the game, with the right weapon. We played a campaign without proper weapons for Nanok and he didn't do anything. And we tried him as a Knight and Champion, both didn't work for us. Other than that he always dit the most damage. Thereby we always chose heroes to 'go with Nanok' and support him. A champion to give him 1 extra damage on his attack each turn and a deciple to heal and give him an extra yellow dice on an attack.

As the OL you have to adapt to the heroes you play against and choose your OL cards accordingly. I always found that the Heroes (myself included when I play as Hero) sacrifice a lot to get Nanok the right weapon, resulting in lesser companion Heroes, use your cards to distract Nanok and your monsters to deal with the rest.

To sum it up, Nanok is powerfull, but not overpowered.

Ps: Nanok, beserker, act II Lightning strike. You're welcome.

#7 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Nanok is not the only character to have a black defense die, Hugo the Glorious has one too, and is also powerfull.

#8 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Having played alongside him i found him to be a glass cannon, sure if he gets the chance to start swinging then monster limbs will be flying all over the place. He makes a miss or the OL pounces on him first and his black die isnt enough to keep him ticking over, especially i act 2.

• Kunzite likes this

#9 ZombieKnowledge

ZombieKnowledge

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

I've dealt with Nanok in a campaign, and I too found him to be OP. 

You have to remember that this is a team game, and his presence alone forces the OL to approach the Heroes differently.

In Act 1, where virtually all enemies are squishy and cannot mete out serious damage, Nanok doesn't have to fear death.  If he has a good healer backing him up (which he will in 3-4 Hero games), he will not die. 

The OL has to overextend himself in order to damage/down Nanok.  This means he has to ignore the rest of the Heroes, who in turn get to search for loots, kill the rest of the mobs, and accomplish their quest goals.  But Nanok is out in front, as a Warrior should be, so that means crossing his path in order to get at the rest of the party.  Nanok will get at you.  It's just a matter of time. 

Come Act 2, the OL will be stronger, but he'll still need to throw a ton of mobs/cards at Nanok to hurt him, and once per Encounter he gets to no-sell your strongest assault.  So that forces you to pick away at him instead of blowing your biggest resources, which means that the Healer will just restore his health.  Or, you force him to blow his feat so that you can attack him without fear, but then you've blown your load and have to chip away at him.  Either way, Nanok doesn't care about your mobs or cards.  Nanok remains unconcerned.

I know that makes it sound more bleak than it actually is, but that's how it feels.  Rather, that's how it felt for me.

#10 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have only done a few epic quests with him. As the OL, I find ways of getting around him. With an ice wyrm and kobolds, I nearly took him down (no OL cards to help. I was saving them). I agree, he is a glass cannon. Once I had him to low life and separated from everyone else, he became a chicken. It was beautiful.

I have yet to play a campaign with him. We start ours with LoR either tonight or tomorrow. I am more concerned about healers then I am with attackers. As the OL, the only time the attackers really mean too much to me is the final. Monsters are expendable and we normally get SOMETHING back to replace the ones they took down.

I agree with JohnMill. We, as OL, need to adapt to what the heroes throw at us. We have more tools on us to do so then they do. There are ways of getting around powerful beasts like that. Dark Charm is a beautiful example. If we can do that then they will fear every step they take.

Well, more times then not, my heroes do.

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#11 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm not sure if he is OP but he is definitely in the top tier of heroes.  He is one of the reasons we do randomized picks since if he shows up with some of the other high tiers it's very unfun for the overlord.

#12 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'm not sure if he is OP but he is definitely in the top tier of heroes.  He is one of the reasons we do randomized picks since if he shows up with some of the other high tiers it's very unfun for the overlord.

which hero would you put in the high tiers, and for the second and the final tiers ?

#13 KAKITA

KAKITA

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Not bragging First me and my play group have every piece descent E1 and E2 (- Nara the fang )

Just my opinion

Teir 1 HEALER : Ashrian, Runehand, & Albright

MAGE: Tarha, Astarra, Truthseer kel, Quellen & Jaes

SCOUT : Fairwood, Tatianna, Farslayer, Silhouette & Kirga

WARRIOR: Nanok, Hawthorne & Karnon

Runners up: Steel Horn, Tahlia,  Master Thorn, Synalrael & Glyr

What i do not like Warrior's with Brown die Eliam and Mages Landrec.Health under 10 / speed Under 4 unlike E1 not alot of items help you gain movement. what i learned about 2nd you do alot of moving. You can have Stamina at 3 but most Hero's on my list have great Ability's/ Feat's. Hero"s Attributes should add up to be 11 going to be weak at something.

Even are group the other day Had a Nanok (Feat pop already) and another hero locked (sweep & stun) with 1 giant. When we had to get ontop some tomb the other hero's a full double movement away.

• Kunzite likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS