I have Labyrinth of Ruin ... Questions?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 tadkil

tadkil

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

One other interesting thing I noted when going through some of the cards.  As you probably are aware, there are both new Lieutenant cards and Ally cards in this expansion.  What is interesting is that 1 lieutenant has both Act I and Act II cards, and 1 Lieutenant has only an Act II card.  The book explicitly states that this is the case, so I know I am not missing anything.

As for the Ally cards, this is very strange indeed.  The Act II Ally cards explicitly have the standard II on the card indicating that it is an Act II card.  The Act I cards do not have the I on them.  I don't really know if this is intentional, or a mistake in printing.  It made it rather confusing when I went through the deck.

I guess it is time the RTFM.  :P

Okay.  Now this is really not right, especially for us aged folks.

There are actually 2 Ally cards included (those that do not have an Act I/Act II indicator on them).  The names of the Allies are Serena and Raythen.

There is 1 Lieutenant with both an Act I and Act II card.  It's name is Ariad.

There is 1 Lieutenant with just an Act II card.  It's name is Queen Ariad.

And then, get this, there are 2 more Lieutenants with just an Act II card, and their names are .... wait for it ... wait for it ... THE SAME DAMN NAMES as the Ally cards ...  Serena and Raythen.  Obviously, you can understand my confusion.

I guess it is time once again to RTFM ... some more.  :blink:

The promo text says that allies could be corrupted.  It sounds like there is a chance that the allies end up switching sides and working for the overlord based on how his deck plays and how the narrative plays out.   

#42 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Eager to get this. I'm really hoping to get in on the ground floor with this game and get every related item I can. I got lucky and was able to get  most (minus only the Sea Of Blood board and Quest Compendium and the LT minis) for  the 1st edition before it ll went OOP, hoping to get it all for 2E.

Edited by BatHead, 07 July 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#43 tadkil

tadkil

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Okay, my first attempt to provide access to a document.  It should be a spreadsheet which includes the stats for all monsters from D2e the base game, the conversion kit, Lair of the Wyrm, and Labyrinth of Ruin.  I found that having all of this information in one place made it easy for the OL when determining what open groups to employ in given encounters.

Anyway, spent a bunch of time on it, and thought I would share.  If this works, and you can view/save it, it is best printed on legal paper.

Here is the link: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Very useful.  Thanks!

#44 Zaibazu

Zaibazu

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

Thank you so much for this! You are a beast on the keyboard!

Nah, I should say a Volucrix Reaver

Edited by Zaibazu, 08 July 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#45 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Also, have you tried putting these components into the base game box? I keep my minis separate, so I'm hoping I can get the new map tiles into the main box without much difficulty.

We have EVERYTHING for Descent: Second Edition.

First off, we took out all the nice dividers. they are nice, but they take up valuable room. We ended up putting all the token pieces into a small craft box (one of those that you can make sections to keep everything divided? yah). All the board pieces and that craft box fit in the base set box. Everything else fits into Labyrinth box. Any unused class cards and characters where put into the conversion kit box, leaving Layer box empty for my art supplies... Because I am the overlord and I get to draw everyone being throted by my evil plans >}

Hope that helps. We took a while to come up with that simple plan x.x

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#46 Cipheron

Cipheron

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

well, thx for all the infos. i really like the new items. as far as i can see right now without having the expansion on my table, there are some neat mechnicas depending on which class do you play. cool stuff. hope the scenarios are balanced. greetz!

#47 Zaibazu

Zaibazu

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Hey any2cards, I am still hungry for more information. When you have the time it would be so great to read about the beastmaster, apothecary and hexer skills as well!

#48 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hey any2cards, I am still hungry for more information. When you have the time it would be so great to read about the beastmaster, apothecary and hexer skills as well!

Just like a drug dealer, the first taste is free.  Now you have to pay ... :P   All right ... just kidding ...

/BEGIN MY HUMBLE OPINION

After typing in all of the class information previously and below, and WITHOUT having played LOR yet, at first blush it certainly seems that these new classes are more powerful and flexible than those included in the base game.

END MY HUMBLE OPINION/

Beastmaster

Hunting Spear: Melee, Exotic, One Handed, Blue Red

Reach

Surge: Pierce 1

Skinning Knife: Melee, Blade, One Handed, Blue Green

If the target has any number of damage tokens, this attack gains: Surge: +3H

Wolf: Familiar: Melee, Speed: 4, Hearts: 3, Defense: None, Attack: Blue Red

This familiar is treated as a figure.  It may perform 1 attack action during its activation.

Each attack made by this familiar gains: Surge: Pierce 1

Bound By The Hunt: XP Cost: 0, Fatigue Cost: 1

Action: Place your Wolf familiar token in an empty space adjacent to you.

You may only control 1 Wolf at a time.  You may discard your Wolf familiar

token at any time during your turn.

Survivalist: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 0

You gain +2 Health.

Each hero adjacent to your Wolf adds 1 additional brown die to his defense pool.

While your Wolf is adjacent to a hero, your Wolf adds 1 additional brown die to its

defense pool.

Stalker: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 0

Immediately after declaring the target of your attack, you may move your Wolf 1 space.

Additionally, a monster cannot declare your Wolf as the target of an attack if it could

legally target a hero figure instead.

Bestial Rage: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 2

Action: Perform an attack.  If you are adjacent to your Wolf, you may reroll 1 attack die.

This attack gains: Surge: Roll 1 red power die and add the Hearts rolled to your attack

results.

Savagery: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 0

Each time a hero performs an attack that targets a monster adjacent to your Wolf, he

may add 1 additional green power die to his attack pool,  Each time your Wolf performs

an attack that targets a monster adjacent to a hero figure, your Wolf may add 1 additional

green power die to its attack pool.

Shadow Hunter: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 0

Your Wolf adds 1 additional Gray die to its defense pool.

Before activating your Wolf, you may choose to perform an attack with it, rolling the dice

shown below.  Then your Wolf is defeated.  Dice: Melee: Red Red Green Green

Feral Frenzy: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 2

Action: Exhaust this card to perform an attack.  After resolving the attack, your Wolf may

immediately perform an attack.

While this card is exhausted, each hero attacking a monster adjacent to you or your

Wolf may add 1 green power die to his attack pool.

Predator: XP Cost: 3, Fatigue Cost: 0

You and your Wolf each gain +4 Health.

Whenever you stand up or are revived by another hero, you recover 2 additional hearts.

Your Wolf's attacks gain:

Surge: +1H

Surge: You recover 1 fatigue

Changing Skins

Action: Exhaust this card to perform an attack as if you occupied your Wolf's space.

While this card is exhausted, each attack you or your Wolf perform gains:

Surge: Pierce 2

Surge Surge: +5H

Apothecary

Smoking Vials: Range, Exotic, One Handed, Blue Green

Surge Surge: +3H

Surge: Poison

Brew Elixir: XP Cost: 0, Fatigue Cost: 1

Exhaust this card during your turn.  Choose yourself or an adjacent hero to gain 1

elixir token.

Once during his turn, a hero may discard 1 elixir token to roll 1 red power die and

recover Hearts equal to the Hearts rolled.

Herbal Lore: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 0

Exhaust this card when a hero discards 1 elixir token.  In addition to any other effect

from the discarded elixir token, the hero may also discard 1 of his Condition cards.

Concoction: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 1

Action: Perform an attack.  If you have at least 1 elixir token, add 1 Surge to the

results.  This attack gains:

Pierce 1

Surge: +1H

Inky Substance: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 1

Exhaust this card to choose 1 monster within 3 spaces of you and place an elixir

token on it.

A hero targeting that monster with an attack may discard the elixir token, before

his attack roll, to add 1 additional green power die to his attack pool.

Secret Formula: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 1

You gain +2 Health, even while this card is exhausted.

Exhaust this card when a hero with an elixir token declares the target for an attack.

He may add 1 additional green power die to his attack pool and the attack gains:

Surge: +2H

Protective Tonic: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 1

Exhaust this card immediately after a hero discards an elixir token to place 1 of his

hero tokens on this card.

A hero may discard 1 of his hero tokens from this card, before rolling defense dice,

to add 1 gray die to his defense pool.

Bottled Courage: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 2

Exhaust this card during your turn to perform an attack.  This attack does not require

an action.

If you deal at least 1 Heart (after rolling defense dice), choose yourself or an adjacent

hero to gain 1 elixir token.

Potent Remedies: XP Cost: 3, Fatigue Cost: 0

When a hero discards an elixir token, he may roll 1 additional green power die and

recover fatigue equal to the Surges rolled, in addition to any Hearts recovered (even if

this card is exhausted).

You may exhaust this card to revive an adjacent hero without using an action.

Hidden Stash: XP Cost: 3, Fatigue Cost: 2

Action: Exhaust this card.  You and each adjacent hero gain 1 elixir token.

Hexer

Staff Of The Grave: Range, Magic & Staff, Two Handed, Blue Green

Surge: +1R

Surge: +1H & Recover 1H

Enfeebling Hex: XP Cost: 0, Fatigue Cost: 0

While you have a Magic weapon equipped, each of your attacks gains:

Surge: Hex 1 monster within 3 spaces of your target.

When performing an attack targeting a hexed monster, a hero may discard any number

of hex tokens before spending Surges.  The attack gains +1H for each hex token

discarded.

Viral Hex: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 1

Exhaust this card during your turn to take a number of hex tokens equal to the number

of hexed monsters within 3 spaces of you.  You may place each hex token on a monster

of your choice within 3 spaces of you.

Affliction: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 1

Exhaust this card when a hexed monster declares a move action and discard 1 hex

token from that monster.  That monster immediately suffers 1 Heart.  In addition, that

monster suffers 1 additional Heart for each space it moves during its activation.

Plague Spasm: XP Cost: 1, Fatigue Cost: 1

Exhaust this card when a hexed monster declares an attack, before dice are rolled,

and discard 1 hex token from that monster.  The target of its attack may add 1 black

die to his defense pool.

Internal Rot: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 0

Each time a monster becomes hexed, you may place 1 additional hex token on that

monster.

Each of your attacks with a Magic weapon targeting a hexed monster gains Pierce 2.

Fel Command: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 2

Exhaust this card when the overlord choose a hexed monster to activate.  Discard 1

hex token from that monster to immediately perform an attack with it.  You make all

choice during the attack.  After the attack is resolved, the monster activates as normal.

Crippling Curse: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 2

Action: Exhaust this card to choose any number of hexed monsters.  For each monster

chosen, test Knowledge.  For each test you pass, you may choose 1 condition

for the corresponding monster to suffer.

Accursed Arms: XP Cost: 3, Fatigue Cost: 2

Exhaust this card during your turn to choose 1 hero adjacent to a hexed monster.  The

chosen hero may immediately perform 1 attack targeting a hexed monster.

Plagued Cloud: XP Cost: 3, Fatigue Cost: 3

Action: Perform an attack with a Magic weapon.  This attack targets each hexed monster

in your line of sight and ignores range.  Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

Before rolling dice for the attack, each monster adjacent to a target monster is

hexed.

#49 Sym

Sym

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yeah these classes are really scary compared to some of the old ones.  I don't think many of them would be very safe or stable in advanced play.

What kind of Relics other than the Sun's Fury are there?  I saw some pretty evil looking gauntlets somewhere, I think.

#50 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

What kind of Relics other than the Sun's Fury are there?  I saw some pretty evil looking gauntlets somewhere, I think.

The other two Relics are:

Gauntlets of Power: Ring, Trinket

Exhaust this card to cancel 1 Surge from an attack targeting you.  Then place

1 fatigue on this card.  You may discard 1 fatigue from this card when attacking

to gain 1 Surge.

vs.

Gauntlets of Spite:

Exhaust this card to cancel 1 Surge from an attack targeting this lieutenant.  Then

place 1 fatigue on his card.  You may discard 1 fatigue from this card when thi

lieutenant is attacking to gain 1 Surge.

Living Heart: Ring, Trinket

Exhaust this card to revive all heroes within 3 spaces of you.  Each revived hero

rolls 3 red power dice instead of 2.  Limit once per encounter.

vs.

Fallen Heart:

Exhaust this card when a minion or master monster is defeated.  Roll 1 red power

die, the monster immediately recovers Hearts equal to the Hearts rolled.  Limit

once per encounter.

#51 JBouthietteJr

JBouthietteJr

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

Also, have you tried putting these components into the base game box? I keep my minis separate, so I'm hoping I can get the new map tiles into the main box without much difficulty.

We have EVERYTHING for Descent: Second Edition.

First off, we took out all the nice dividers. they are nice, but they take up valuable room. We ended up putting all the token pieces into a small craft box (one of those that you can make sections to keep everything divided? yah). All the board pieces and that craft box fit in the base set box. Everything else fits into Labyrinth box. Any unused class cards and characters where put into the conversion kit box, leaving Layer box empty for my art supplies... Because I am the overlord and I get to draw everyone being throted by my evil plans >}

Hope that helps. We took a while to come up with that simple plan x.x

Not a bad system for sure! I was actually also using a small plastic craft container for my Descent pieces, and just updated it today to a larger one: too big for the box now, unfortunately.

So my current plan is base box will hold map tiles and cards; Labyrinth box (when it arrives tomorrow!) will hold all minis (currently in giant plastic bag just begging to be broken); and my big craft divider for all the bits and pieces and tokens (with a matching one for Arkham Horror!). I tossed the Lair of the Wyrm box day 1 of having it, since everything fit in the base box minus minis, which I keep separate anyways. Already know I won't have that luxury with Labyrinth!

edit: I don't own the conversion kit, but I do plan on piece-mealing it together via ebay purchases, and those will just be stored according to the current system: cards in base box, minis in Labyrinth! (because I don't believe in proxies. Yuck).

Edited by JBouthietteJr, 11 July 2013 - 12:54 AM.

TIE Fighter x7 / TIE Advanced x1 / TIE Bomber x3 / TIE Interceptor x8 / TIE Defender x3 / TIE Phantom x2 / Lambda-Class Shuttle x2 / Firespray-31 x1
X-Wing x3 / A-Wing x3 / B-Wing x1 / HWK-290 x1 / YT-1300 x1

#52 Zaibazu

Zaibazu

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Jeez... the Hexer looks really, really strong in my eyes. But time will show if that's true.

Thx again for your effort!

Edited by Zaibazu, 11 July 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#53 eloy79

eloy79

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

What about treasure cards ? Are there any new ?

Thank you a lot !!

#54 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

edit: I don't own the conversion kit, but I do plan on piece-mealing it together via ebay purchases, and those will just be stored according to the current system: cards in base box, minis in Labyrinth! (because I don't believe in proxies. Yuck).

Getting all the figures for the conversion kit is around 800$ the last I checked, so we only proxy the monsters for that. I'm pretty skilled with Gimp and a few other artist tools on the computer. If I really wanted to I could draw all the monsters. I might do that with time. But as an artist, I don't have the money for the figures. It's sad. I am a sad OL. Only 2D monsters for me.

But I agree. I don't really like proxes unless need be. I am glad they came out with the conversion kit!

I like your set up with your boxes as well! You can fit all your Arkham peices into a craft box?! We have this HUGE tool box to fit most of our Arkham stuff in and let the base box hold all the rule books and boards. You truely impress me! You must be a boss at Tetris!

~Count of Monte Cristo

#55 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Jeez... the Hexer looks really, really strong in my eyes. But time will show if that's true.

Thx again for your effort!

It is. ~.~ We did an act two epic quest. though I chose a really weak monster group (Kobolds) because of their LOL factor, they still steam rolled my larger beasts and almost took out all my 7 Kobolds in two moves. One to hex them all twice and next to use a blast weapon to finsh them off. As OL, I give them what is due. A truely beautiful move for the Heroes. Beautiful bit of teamwork as well.

~Count of Monte Cristo

#56 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

What about treasure cards ? Are there any new ?

Thank you a lot !!

No, nothing new.

#57 monadir

monadir

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would like to know how the quests of LOR compares to the original? In the game I played, the heroes always had it too easy no matter who was the overlord. One thing that was problematic is that the heroes knew which quests to do in which order to garantee wins and they would always wipe out a group on the first turn due to the way the monsters were forced to be placed. The quests were also short enough that the OL couldnt react.

#58 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I would like to know how the quests of LOR compares to the original? In the game I played, the heroes always had it too easy no matter who was the overlord. One thing that was problematic is that the heroes knew which quests to do in which order to garantee wins and they would always wipe out a group on the first turn due to the way the monsters were forced to be placed. The quests were also short enough that the OL couldnt react.

I have only read the quests, not played them (which is a HUGE difference), so I only know from reading. In Shadow Rune, game play was 50/50 win condition for OL and heroes. My heroes' main difficulty was the 'run away' quests where I, the OL, would grab something and run. It was very hard for them to keep up. My hardest to deal with quests where the beat down ones where we had to beat each other up.

In LoR, it seems that many of the quests are a little more equal. There aren't many "run away" quests but there are allot more beat-em-up and race quests (where both of you need to accomplish something before the other. Or heroes need to accomplish something and therefore the OL sabotages everything).

I have only read it, but it FEELS more balanced in the regrades that the quests are enough alike that the OL can plan his deck a little better. But there is enough verity to make it NOT feel like the same quest over and over again. I really like it.

In the grand villain is ten times more evil then Zackerith was. No joke. Makes me feel bad for Splig.

• monadir likes this

~Count of Monte Cristo

#59 monadir

monadir

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I have only read the quests, not played them (which is a HUGE difference), so I only know from reading. In Shadow Rune, game play was 50/50 win condition for OL and heroes. My heroes' main difficulty was the 'run away' quests where I, the OL, would grab something and run. It was very hard for them to keep up. My hardest to deal with quests where the beat down ones where we had to beat each other up.

In LoR, it seems that many of the quests are a little more equal. There aren't many "run away" quests but there are allot more beat-em-up and race quests (where both of you need to accomplish something before the other. Or heroes need to accomplish something and therefore the OL sabotages everything).

I have only read it, but it FEELS more balanced in the regrades that the quests are enough alike that the OL can plan his deck a little better. But there is enough verity to make it NOT feel like the same quest over and over again. I really like it.

In the grand villain is ten times more evil then Zackerith was. No joke. Makes me feel bad for Splig.

Thanks for the answer, what about the size of the encounters? Are there more big maps like the interlude? In shadow rune, some games felt pretty short.

#60 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the answer, what about the size of the encounters? Are there more big maps like the interlude? In shadow rune, some games felt pretty short.

YES and YES. Since there are some straight up beat 'em up quests, there are large maps that help with that feel of the quest. A very nice fit. There are three act two quests in which there is only one encounter due to the size of the map and the quest requirement. One quest requires the OL to stall out/smite the heroes for 13 turns. 13!! The results is a killer prize for the OL if he can pull it off! Sadly, I was never good with stall, but I am willing to give it a shot. ^.~

• monadir likes this

~Count of Monte Cristo

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS