Arvel Crendel is he useful?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Arrr

Captain_Arrr

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

I don't see him on many lists, but his ability to shoot at ships in his arc that he is touching seems like a useful ability.  Especially against TIE builds that like to jam up enemy ships.

#2 saiharris

saiharris

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

With wave three having options to look at enemy dials too he got a lot better as now he can generally move and if needs be boost into a position where an enemy will crash

#3 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

The real problem is that his PS is too high. You really want other pilots to crash into him. That way he gets his actions. But at PS6 he moves after the majority of opponents.

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 70,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· Currently, I'm backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we've got to: Travels With Triplets.

#4 Tusken Raider

Tusken Raider

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

In the development of The Breakneck Boys, my all A-wing squad, I tried Arvel Crynyd a few times. I know there are people who disagree with this but I think he's the worst pilot in the whole game - possibly worse even than Maarek Stele.

Certainly having the ability to shoot another ship involved in a crash with Crynyd is helpful in theory but it turns out not half as helpful as we might have thought. Why? Because his PS is so high that it's usually him crashing into an opponent as opposed to the other way round and this means he doesn't get an action. So he gets to shoot at range 1 but because he then becomes an obvious target for all other opposing ships. This is especially problematic because his move is so obvious - to activate his ability he's going to try to crash. Arvel Crynyd essentially gives an Intelligence Officer to your opponent!

Added to this, Crynyd has no Elite Pilot Talent. This makes sense - he didn't get shot down and crash into a Star Destroyer because he was a good pilot, after all! But it means that the usual Push the Limit which I recommend for all A-wings can't even be put on him.

Long and short of it, you may get one or two crashes from him before he's destroyed by enemy fire. I don't think that makes him worth the points at all. I'd rather take a GSP and kit it out.

#5 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I would put Arvel Crynyd in a "fun" squad -- nothing competitive.  I haven't seen him in any competitive squads.  Arvel might be useless now, with the upcoming Anti-pursuit Laser upgrade.

As for A-wings, I would prefer Green Squadron Pilot (with Push the Limit).

#6 Klaus Kewerkly

Klaus Kewerkly

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

The real problem is that his PS is too high. You really want other pilots to crash into him. That way he gets his actions. But at PS6 he moves after the majority of opponents.

Another victim of this game's ridiculous action-loss collision rule.

#7 executor

executor

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

i don't find it a fault in the game at all.. it gives opportunities to low pilot skill lists to exploit.. otherwise everyone would just bring high pilot skills to the table and the game would lose a lot of diversity and flavor

i enjoy bringing swarm style lists from time to time and denying my opponent of his actions

• voidstate likes this

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've toyed with him as part of a anti-Falcon list, but it hasn't actually seen play yet.

#9 Klaus Kewerkly

Klaus Kewerkly

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

i don't find it a fault in the game at all.. it gives opportunities to low pilot skill lists to exploit.. otherwise everyone would just bring high pilot skills to the table and the game would lose a lot of diversity and flavor

i enjoy bringing swarm style lists from time to time and denying my opponent of his actions

Low skill pilots cost less, so there would be no problem with them being ignored in list-building.  Your swarm list would still gum up enemy positioning (I have no problem with the rule that you have to move your base back on collision, because that's unavoidable reality of 2d tabletop play, only the action loss rule), and you'd still be benefiting from having tons of hull points and so many firing arcs that the enemy probably can't dodge them all.  

#10 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

I had a situation where we were left with one ship apience on the board: Arvel in the Awing vs a bounty hunter in Firespray.  Arvel got on my 6 and kept ramming me, making it impossible for me to target him while he picked away at my shields and hull.  It seemed rather effective but alas did not save him.

Enimo Et Fide

#11 executor

executor

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

Arvel has his moments.. he's not a ship that you should be looking at to use to exploit his ability and use it as often as possible.. because it's just going to get him shot down.

but i certainly wouldn't go as far as saying he's one of the worst named pilots out there, because he's not.. he sits about in the middle of the pack for me.. though if i could change anything about the card it would be the ability to put an elite pilot talent on the card

look at it more as a passive ability for the times where you do bump due to unforeseen circumstances (and those do happen more than we want to)

when i first played with him i was always trying to get him to bump.. but when you undershoot your prediction, you're now stuck at range 1 of whatever you tried to bump.. and that generally leads to getting shot hard in the face

you're better off playing with him like you would with any other A-wing and keep him as a flanker

Edited by executor, 07 July 2013 - 09:37 AM.

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#12 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

though if i could change anything about the card it would be the ability to put an elite pilot talent on the card

That's be nice. Or it would be good if his ability got erratad to allow him to boost ino a collision. That'd make him much more useful.

• executor likes this

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 70,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· Currently, I'm backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we've got to: Travels With Triplets.

#13 Rogue Nine

Rogue Nine

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

I've found that I usually just get him into trouble if I try the blocking game; even if I manage to bump one tie another has me at range one with no focus or evade to protect myself.

Arvel's PS6 does mean it's easier to get the most out of his boost action, getting him in and out of firing arcs as required. That said you can get a PS5 Green Squadron Pilot for three points cheaper through veteran instincts....

Edited by Rogue Nine, 08 July 2013 - 07:53 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS