So It's Really $75 to Play?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#61 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Haters gonna hate. My shelf is packed with FFG stuff that proves I can trust them. I'm happy knowing my buying decision is sound.

So that's what that crayon was for? Well, there's that mystery solved.

I ate mine.

Ralph Wiggum: "I don't have a red crayon."
Mrs. Hoover: "Why not?"
Ralph Wiggum: "I ate it."
"Over the line!"

#62 jamat

jamat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

The fact that the jedi don't take centre stage in this version of star wars is one of the main thins that drew me to the game in the first place.

I've played a bit of Saga star wars and although I like it I found the main stars in the group were the jedi and the other PCs became supporting actors in the adventure.

With only a basic force user / jedi class to choose to my way of thinking gives the game a level playing field for all PCs.

You all know my views on the dice so I won't harp on but I have no problem with other core books being produced over time, christ I've got most of the books in all five 40K ranges so that part isn't an issue and as long as the character balance is kept and all careers get an even billing this will be a great game to play over a long period.

#63 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

I will simply answer with: "Yes. It is the slickest set of rules I have seen in years."

• Mark It Zero and Kager like this

#64 cosman76

cosman76

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

I will admit to some sticker shock when I saw what the price for the book was gonna be. But when you tally up that each sourcebook is both players handbook and dm guide in One, and just how much you get, it seems worth it. And the incidentals....dice, dm screen or kit are things you would eventually buy amyway, its not too bad for a hobby you enjoy. If I was not broke and broke I'd be all about picking these items up. Do research and try to find a good deal. Me, I like going to a store and buying this stuff to have in hand.....I May end up trying to trade in some old stuff to do that.

#65 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

You could always make your own dice. I did not want to use the stickers they offered during beta so I made my own.

The "Good dice" all had black symbols, the "Bad dice" all had red

Successes were plus signs (+) and Failures were minus signs (-)

Advantages were Circles, Disadvantages were triangles

Triumphs and Despairs were two symbols on top of each other (see photo near top center).

SW_Dice.jpg

• Mark It Zero and 5sola like this

#66 azato

azato

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Regarding the pricing of the book I think there are some things to consider:

1. Full Color on Nice Paper

2. Excellent artwork

3. Lots of pages

4. Well documented game.

5. A well-tested novel dice mechanic

6. It is a licensed product.

All these cost $$.

Also, comparing an RPG to an Boardgame is unfair since there generally is nowhere near the expense in development and making of the game...that is why so many companies are going to board, and especially card, games..Much better margins and much less money tied up in inventory.  

While I would probably have been happy with a $25 PDF... that ain't a happenin! So ,while I spent more than I would have liked, it is easy to appreciate the amount of man-hours put into creating this work.

While I can understand people not being happy with the lack of Jedi material....consider the effect on the book if one carved out the needed page count to make room for all that Jedi stuff? Personally, I think the book would have suffered significantly if that would have happened. Isn't it much better to get a fully dedicated book to the Jedi? When you finally get to go Jedi, it will be built on top of a system that has been thoroughly play-tested. 

I think starting out basic and working out in complexity is a good idea. Also, not everybody will necessarily be buying all the books. While it is possible that I may....most likely this is where I will stay. 

#67 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Compared to the industry standard, $60 for a 400 page, full-color book is a great price. There are a lot of $40–$50, 286 pagers out there. Even considering the per-page price break you get for larger books, it's a value. They must be producing a metric ton of these (from RPG volume standards) to have the price where it is. 

We are getting a lot of material for the money.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#68 gilbur

gilbur

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

there is other ways to get the stuff like what I do is I look around to see if I have anything that I am not using anymore like old games just collecting dust that I can trade with Noble Knight Games as they sell everything old and new and is willing to trade old stuff for new stuff and I highly recommend them since the owner is good with trade offers.

Miniature Market is buying Miniatures that you can get store credit for their merchandise as well. I also recommend them as well since they are cheaper than the FLG which to me they are my local FLG since they are not that far from my work. Bad thing is you have to have at least $50 in Miniatures for a sale which I unfortunate do not have with my D and D miniatures.

#69 Darkin

Darkin

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

No...this game is free to play.  You'll probably want your own dice though. A player doesn't ever really need their own rulebook.  Read a fellow player's and your GM will always have everything the part needs. 

What was it Robert Heinleain said in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress: TANSTAAFL

#70 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

For me its not the price that annoyed me, and before anyone says it was well known that the dice came separately, it is the fact the dice, which are a major element to the game, are not sold with the rule book.

Don't get me wrong I love the game I think the production values are fantastic and I will be buying more of the books when they come out.

It is the fact that a game that hangs its whole mechanics on a special set of dice doesn't have a starter set as part of it. People round the table will buy there own sets as time goes by so there is a need for them to be sold separately but to not include a set with the rules just seems a bit off centre to me.

Its like spending £20,000 on a car then having to spend an extra £5,000 to get the engine. The rules rely on the dice to make it work without them the book is next to useless. OK I understand there are tables in the book that let you convert using normal dice or you can download an APP but that to me is a fudge and a copout.

No, it's like spending $20k on a car, and spending $5k on gas over the lifetime of that car.  In otherwords, it's nothing even remotely unusual.

Yes, it's something to factor in when you make a decision to buy, but its not like they left out a crucial piece that you can't play the game without.  (Remember, the rule book has conversion charts for 'normal' polyhedral dice on page 12.)

#71 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

If the dice were packaged in, it would cost $75. (Maybe even more thanks to the extra packaging necessary to ship each one as a single unit.)

So...I fail to see what all this huffing and puffing is about. See consumers make the mistaken assumption that if they pack an accessory in with a product, that it won't kick the price up a notch, but it will. Nothing included in a package is free, someone somewhere crunches the numbers and decides on price that will turn a profit.

So, do you want a $75 dollar purchase for a seperate book ($60) and package of dice ($15), or the $80 option that includes a nice (but ultimately useless) box/slipcover with more art, which is designed to safely transport a book and the accompanying set of dice?

Edited by Mark It Zero, 06 July 2013 - 05:27 PM.

"Over the line!"

#72 azato

azato

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

If the dice were packaged in, it would cost $75. (Maybe even more thanks to the extra packaging necessary to ship each one as a single unit.)

So...I fail to see what all this huffing and puffing is about. See consumers make the mistaken assumption that if they pack an accessory in with a product, that it won't kick the price up a notch, but it will. Nothing included in a package is free, someone somewhere crunches the numbers and decides on price that will turn a profit.

So, do you want a $75 dollar purchase for a seperate book and package of dice, or the $80 option that includes a nice box/slipcover with more art, which is designed to safely transport a book and the accompanying set of dice?

The other problem is how to distribute a book WITH the dice. If it needs to be in a boxed...that adds extra costs.

• Mark It Zero likes this

#73 bandersnee

bandersnee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

And for those of us who have already bought the EotE Beginner set, we may not want another set of dice.

• aljovin likes this

#74 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

And for those of us who have already bought the EotE Beginner set, we may not want another set of dice.

That's crazy talk! Moar dices! :P Though a solid point none the less.

The other problem is how to distribute a book WITH the dice. If it needs to be in a boxed...that adds extra costs.

Exactly what I was getting at although my mini rant was a little poorly worded so I tweaked it a little for clarity.

Truthfully they would end up about the same in cost, maybe a buck or two different, because the dice packaging has a cost too even when seperate. However, the whole package is $75, together or seperate, of that you can be sure. :)

Edited by Mark It Zero, 06 July 2013 - 05:33 PM.

• bandersnee likes this
"Over the line!"

#75 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Been playtesting it since before the Beta, and even now, with the full core book on my desk... I don't have any of the special dice, I've never needed them. I might get some, because I love collecting dice, but the game has no intrinsic need for them.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#76 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

I've also read on other sites that a book has a different tax than a game in some countries that might be so and adding dice to the book could make it a game instead.... well technically it is a game in a book format ....I understand that argument as well but to not sell the book with a starter set of dice is a bit of an over sight for a game that I believe will have a good future going for it.

That is entirely correct. In a fair chunk of Europe, books attract no additional Value Added Tax, or only a small amount, where as games attract a higher level of tax. For instance, where I got my copy (the UK), books have no VAT added, but if dice were packaged with it, it would count as a game, and therefore have VAT of 20% added, meaning that, not only would it cost more because of just having the dice (it'd probably be between £45-50 with the dice, rather than RRP of £40), but 20% tax would have been added, taking it from, say £50, to £60.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#77 Inquisitor Tremayne

Inquisitor Tremayne

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

$62 bucks got me the core book, GM kit, and a set of dice, since it was such a good deal I opted for priority shipping bringing the total to $77 bucks.  That is a deal. 

#78 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

$62 bucks got me the core book, GM kit, and a set of dice, since it was such a good deal I opted for priority shipping bringing the total to $77 bucks.  That is a deal. 

That's a heck of a deal!  

#79 Inquisitor Tremayne

Inquisitor Tremayne

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

That's a heck of a deal!  

All from Miniature Market.

#80 Tassedar

Tassedar

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Is the dice chart difficult to use? Just by looking at it, it seems like it would really slow things down when you've got a whole pool of dice. Besides, the book uses the symbols, so you'd have to back-convert as well, no? No smartphone unfortunately, so that's out (even if it wasn't, then the price would really be $65 to play).

It's a pity that the recommendation is to get it online; I really want to support my Friendly Local Gaming Store.

after one game my players were understanding the dice quite well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS