So It's Really $75 to Play?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

I see that the cost of the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook is $60 (which seems like an awful lot, given that I can buy the incredibly complex Arkham Horror for that amount). However, the unique dice don't come with the core rulebook but are necessary to play and those are an additional $15 (assuming you're all going to share one set, which I'm guessing most won't).

Am I right that the base cost to play Edge of the Empire is actually $75?

Edited by Thunderforge, 02 July 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#2 Nashable

Nashable

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

No - You can convert normal D6s, D8s and D12s to this system also: https://www.dropbox.... Dice Chart.jpg

Alternatively you can utilize a smartphone or tablet if you wish for $5 in place of the dice with the dice rolling app.

Also certain online retailers (Coolstuffinc and Miniature Market) are currently running promotions with the game and dice well below the MSRP. So allowing you to get a set of dice and book for less than the MSRP on the book.

Edited by Nashable, 02 July 2013 - 08:47 PM.

Member of the Brick Vader fan-club (NSFW)
Author of the award winning Ship Repair for GMs (Detailed | Simple)

#3 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Is the dice chart difficult to use? Just by looking at it, it seems like it would really slow things down when you've got a whole pool of dice. Besides, the book uses the symbols, so you'd have to back-convert as well, no? No smartphone unfortunately, so that's out (even if it wasn't, then the price would really be $65 to play).

It's a pity that the recommendation is to get it online; I really want to support my Friendly Local Gaming Store.

#4 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Is the dice chart difficult to use? Just by looking at it, it seems like it would really slow things down when you've got a whole pool of dice. Besides, the book uses the symbols, so you'd have to back-convert as well, no? No smartphone unfortunately, so that's out (even if it wasn't, then the price would really be $65 to play).

It's a pity that the recommendation is to get it online; I really want to support my Friendly Local Gaming Store.

Grab the sticker sheet, print it on label paper, and convert some dice.

http://www.fantasyfl... (high-res).pdf

#5 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

It cost me $50 to play... $40 for the book, and $10 for the dice.  Lots of good deals if you take the time to look (i.e., miniaturemarket.com and coolstuffinc.com).  Most places ship free for $100, and they sell lots of games at discount prices... so if you can arrange that it would be an especially good deal.

• Raistlinrox likes this

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#6 bkirchhoff

bkirchhoff

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Picked up my copy of the book tonight.  It is beautiful - Artwork, Layout, Content....  On of the coolest Star Wars items I have at the moment and well worth the price.

#7 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

And 75$ is not really that much to begin with, to be honest.  DnD books can run 40 bucks a pop, and you need AT LEAST two of them, though probably more when push comes to shove. For a system that literally gives you endless possibilities, I think 75 bucks is completely reasonable.

Especially if you get your 5 or 6 friends that are typically going to play it to help chip in!  Joint purchases make it even cheaper.

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

#8 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

Gotta ask, but have you bought an RPG before? There is a bit of a difference between an RPG and a boardgame. I enjoy boardgames too, but I could buy Risk or Monopoly for less than either Star Wars or Arkham Horror. The fact that both run about the same doesn't denote their value one way or another as their value is going to be relative. I would get much more value out of an RPG that I spend $60 on than I would out of a boardgame. If it is the cost, as others have already noted, there are less expensive options. What is the issue?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#9 Madcap

Madcap

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

In modern terms, $75 isn't bad.  You could look at alternatives:

• Dungeons & Dragons: 3 core books @ $35 plus dice at $5 = $110.
  • Pathfinder: core rulebook for $50 plus bestiary for $40 plus dice at $5 = $95.
  • Shadowrun 5th Edition: core rulebook for $60 plus dice $5 = $65.
  • Any Warhammer 40K Setting: core rulebook $60 plus dice $5 = $65.
  • GURPS: Characters book $40 plus Campaign cook $35 = $75 (if you loot your board games for D6s, otherwise add about $5).
  • Savage Worlds: Explorer Edtion rulebook $10 plus dice $5 = $15.

So $75 really isn't that much in comparison to closely equivalent systems.  Before you decide to go by Savage Worlds as the cheapest, remember you won't have any source material for Star Wars... so add costs/time for that.  If you purchased all the generic splat books (ex. Droids, Starships, Species, etc.), well, you are right back at $75 plus.

Just my 2 credits...

STAR WARS COLLECTOR

X-WING-Rebels: X-Wing [3], Y-Wing [1], B-Wing [1], YT-1300 [1]. Empire: TIE/ln[4], Firespray [2].

RPG: AoR, EotE, SoF, JoY, EtU, DC.

#10 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

It's been discussed before (elsewhere at least), people will pay $$$ when going to the theatre/cinema, for videogames, themeparks, whatnot... often quite a lot for much less entertainment and for a shorter amount of time than a session playing a roleplaying game. I guess its priorities and some constructed notion of how much $XX is in one context compared to another.

It's not cheap as a one time expense no, but considering how many hours of fun you (most likely) will have, compared to videogames, movies or even board games, I think its pretty ok, perhaps even cheap... in the long run.

But in respons to your question, yes its $75 to get the game with proper dice.

Edited by Jegergryte, 03 July 2013 - 05:44 AM.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#11 bandersnee

bandersnee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Gotta ask, but have you bought an RPG before? There is a bit of a difference between an RPG and a boardgame. I enjoy boardgames too, but I could buy Risk or Monopoly for less than either Star Wars or Arkham Horror. The fact that both run about the same doesn't denote their value one way or another as their value is going to be relative. I would get much more value out of an RPG that I spend $60 on than I would out of a boardgame. If it is the cost, as others have already noted, there are less expensive options. What is the issue?

Heh... and you're not even bringing in board games like Small World ($60 MSRP) and Agricola ($70 MSRP).  Once you get outside the game isle at Target or Walmart, then you're in the domain of an expensive hobby.

And yeah, granted, I'm looking at the RPG books on my shelf, and my beloved D6 Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded was only $30 cover price... but some things have changed since 1996.

I did a price per page evaluation and after accounting for inflation it's still more expensive, but not that much more expensive.

#12 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

And 75$ is not really that much to begin with, to be honest.  DnD books can run 40 bucks a pop, and you need AT LEAST two of them, though probably more when push comes to shove. For a system that literally gives you endless possibilities, I think 75 bucks is completely reasonable.

Especially if you get your 5 or 6 friends that are typically going to play it to help chip in!  Joint purchases make it even cheaper.

Truth!

Much was made about FFG selling the Warhammer 3E boxed set at 100$, but that one box is the only thing the entire campaign needs. It had materials for all the players, the GM, and lots of tokens and cards and the custom dice. With D&D, you often have hundreds of dollars worth of books and materials around the table, but since you buy that stuff piecemeal nobody nobotices the total price.

I realize there's a bit of sticker shock with some of FFG's products, but look at the big picture and you'll find is not that expensive at all compared to other popular RPG products,

#13 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

With D&D, you often have hundreds of dollars worth of books and materials around the table, but since you buy that stuff piecemeal nobody nobotices the total price.

To be fair, one only needs the Player's Handbook, DMs Guide and Monster Manual for D&D. I spent much of my youth using just those books to run my campaigns. But that still amounts to more than $60.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#14 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

To me it boils down to thinking of it as an investment rather than an expense... if that makes sense. I think its the most sensible approach. :ph34r:

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#15 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

With D&D, you often have hundreds of dollars worth of books and materials around the table, but since you buy that stuff piecemeal nobody nobotices the total price.

To be fair, one only needs the Player's Handbook, DMs Guide and Monster Manual for D&D. I spent much of my youth using just those books to run my campaigns. But that still amounts to more than $60.

$90 if we're talking actual cover price.
"Over the line!"

#16 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

$75 got me a Core Book, GM kit, and 3 extra sets of dice. Compared to the money I dropped into WHFR and Shadowrun over the last year that's an outstanding bargin for a game I plan on running for several years. I know there will be additional supplement costs, but really if you take a moment to dig around you can get in the door relatively inexpensively. 

#17 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Also, it should be noted that you should not pay full price for this game unless you don't know how the internet works. I gotrule book for $38 + shipping at Miniature Market.

#18 bandersnee

bandersnee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Some may certainly choose to pay full price, particularly as some will steadfastly support their FLGS rather than pay a cheaper price online.  I often do so... but with so much money on the table I probably won't in this instance.

#19 bobfrankly

bobfrankly

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Also, it should be noted that you should not pay full price for this game unless you don't know how the internet works. I gotrule book for $38 + shipping at Miniature Market.

Which is why many people don't have a FLGS. Don't forget to support your Friendly Local Gaming Store, nothing like being able to add a last minute set of dice or map.

#20 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'll be getting mine through my FLGS. The least I can do as I play there and he saves stuff like the free adventure for me.

George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS