• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Fellow-Arkhamites,

Sometimes, even the most intrepid set of Investigators are doomed to failure when the Mythos cards conspire against them.  Take the last game I played, which had Tony Morgan, Dexter Drake, Trish Scarborough, and Leo Anderson against Yog-Sothoth.  For those of you who are familiar with my Variants, you'll know that we often have some time during the first few rounds to get accostomed to the board, establish a strategy, and look to win by Sealing Gates.  This time, it was not meant to be…

During the first four Turns, only two Gates had appeared…one from a Mythos card and the second from an encounter Trish had in Dunwich where she had traveled ostensibly for some easy Clue tokens.  Tony and Dexter had picked-up a few Clue tokens and after Leo did the same, he hopped a boat bound for Falcon Point.  Things were looking-up, as even Trish could manage to get the Vision Quest spell from Dexter upon her return from the Abyss.

The next four rounds proved our undoing…and moreover, we knew what awaited us.  Dexter's encounter at the Science Building allowed him to view the next three Mythos cards and place them in any order…the three cards included an Intermission card, which would raise the Terror Level and two separate Rumor cards.  We had the Intermission card first, which Dexter and Leo discarded their Tomes to keep the Terror Track in check, and even the Rumor Plans in Motion wasn't that difficult, as Leo, now in Innsmouth certainly had enough time and Clue tokens to Pass it.  What was worse for our fabulous four Investigators…each of those Rumors were accompanied by two Doom Tokens…for those of you familiar with Yog-Sothoth, that's 1/3 of the Doom Track in two cards.  Julia…even you, my dear, would be hard-pressed to counter such malign indifference from the Mythos deck.

The last four Turns were a successive wave of new Gates opening faster than we could close and seal the existing ones.  When Yog-Sothoth woke from slumber, Leo was immediately devoured and the others, with their pitiful weapons were no match for the awesome power unleashed by the Great Old OneArkham ceased to be…

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

:laughter: Aye, four doomers in two rounds are quite nasty, and Yoggie is not the slowest to awaken. Sorry you lost the game, Joe!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Okay, is it just me or did FFG take a marginally useful forum and bollocks it even more. And what on earth are "Warning Points?"

Edited by The Professor, 03 July 2013 - 08:21 PM.

The Professor

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I guess "warning points" are for when you do nasty things and receive a warning from a mod.

Agreed on the new forum...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Nice...just what we need...

The Professor

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well, so long as you keep yer head down and nose clean it should be fine, right?

Anyway, sorry about your game. I have to admit, I'm one of those guys that, in a solo game, prefers to cut my losses and just end it if I know I'm not gonna make it. I have won one time in combat with Shubby-Shubs but that was it, and I don't want to press my luck!

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

I agree wholeheartedly ~ there are some games that when it's time for the Final Battle...if it's hopeless, I simply start the "set the game up for the next play" activity! :D

The Professor

#8 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thoughts give shape to the world...or at least what you read in the forums gives shape to your next Arkham game. Let me explain :)

I set up today's game this way: Shub-Niggurath, with Mother Hydra and IH, MH, BGotW and LatT expansions in play. When I consider an expansion in "play" I count as valid all the Mythos cards showing the expansion symbol (they are always shuffled up all together). All other Mythos cards are discarded. Investigator cards, encounters and cult encounters/corruptions are always "in play", except encounters that cannot be resolved because their expansion is not in play. Amazingly, a corruption came in play during this game, through an encounter at the Dark Cave. I hadn't seen one since 15-20 games ago. Hmm.

Anyway, the game started with the Yuggoth endless gate appearing in the Witch House and a split Kadath gate in the Woods. I spent the first 2 turns gathering clues to try sealing both, but turn 3 was a surge. So, 5 monsters due to Hydra. Limit reached, Jenny already sent to the Hospital while trying to fight a Goat Spawn. A 3-toughness Goat Spawn is nothing to laugh of when you only have an Axe, but Jenny didn't. She had Ibn-Ghazi's dust AND Holy Water. Unfortunately, both were used without killing the damn Spawn. So, a bad start...

Over the few next turns, a gate to Carcosa appeared in the Square, a couple more surges happened and then, after having sealed the Witch House and the Woods, clearing a lot of monsters, the Endlessly Breeding rumor was drawn. It lasted one turn because Norman paid $10 on the very next turn, leaving just 2 monsters on the board, but it brought the Doom Track at 6, triggering Martial Law in Innsmouth (which thus far hadn't seen any action at all). Another surge, and then a new rumor: Plans in Motion :P. Two more doom tokens, yay! On the next six turns, more monster surges, 2 gates opening in Innsmouth another 2-doom card, Miskatonic Launches Reasearch Ship and me rolling a 1 or 2 (Plans in Motion) 5 out of 6 times. That means a full Deep Ones Rising track, and my investigator's undoing at the hands, or tentacles....claws, hooves of Shu-Niggurath. Considering the only means of hurting her available to them was an Enchant Weapon/Tommy Gun combo and a Fist of Yog-Shothoth they did well enough to drop her to 8 Doom Tokens (she even healed one with a Plot).

So, I drew not two, but three 2-doom cards in the space of 5-6 Mythos turns. And that is why I am now setting up a new game, to get my revenge :P

#9 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Okay, is it just me or did FFG take a marginally useful forum and bollocks it even more. And what on earth are "Warning Points?"

It is now even worse :(

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

to Tox:  Yes, those Double-Doomer Mythos cards are absolutely painful.

to Shub-Niggurath:  I know they're trying to make it better, but they could have asked us and we would have provided some useful feedback.

The Professor

#11 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

The lack of a "when was this forum post last updated" field is a killer. Why can they use standard forum software?

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

to Shub-Niggurath:  I know they're trying to make it better, but they could have asked us and we would have provided some useful feedback.

TOTALLY...

#13 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

At least the content is still useful :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS