I was right about the PS 7 TIE Bomber pilot

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I know for a fact now that the PS 7 TIE Bomber pilot is Major Rhymer, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rhymer. I was at a local gaming store and the wave 3 ships are on the cover of a GTM they had at the counter. With it being a clear picture and not a digital net pic you can easily read Rhymer on the base tile.

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 (3)YT-1300 (3) 2400 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90 (6)Rebel Aces

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces (2)VT-49 Decimator

SOONtir - (6)Most Wanted (7)M3-A (4)StarViper (3)Aggressor

#2 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

So what would his ability be?   According to the article he is good at fleeing, I mean evacuating.  So maybe he can exit off the board and not count as being destroyed.

Nerfherder in Training

#3 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

On the wiki said that his Bomber has an advanced targeting system... so maybe something related wit target lock new rules?

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#4 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

On the wiki said that his Bomber has an advanced targeting system... so maybe something related wit target lock new rules?

If they wanted that, then a system upgrade slot. Problem solved.

#5 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

If they wanted that, then a system upgrade slot. Problem solved.

Maybe his Pilot Ability will be something along the lines of "Dead Eye" where you can focus instead of target lock. Or maybe not need a target lock to fire. Or...maybe ignore all the range restrictions from torps and missiles..?

#6 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

maybe ignore all the range restrictions from torps and missiles..?

Way too overpowered. I would load him up with cluster missiles and adv torps with the PS shuttle and just nuke a ship all day long. No fun.

#7 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Way too overpowered. I would load him up with cluster missiles and adv torps with the PS shuttle and just nuke a ship all day long. No fun.

Yes, but also an expensive loss..

#8 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

I don't suppose you'd like to try again. I win!

#9 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

He doesn't ignore range restrictions (ie. fire at any range including clear across the board) but being able to shift a long range secondary in for close work and a short range secondary out makes it pretty interesting.  Getting nailed by an Advanced Torpedo at range two...ouch.  Get close enough he can't fire that Assault Missile at use...  not going to work.

#10 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Get close enough he can't fire that Assault Missile at use...  not going to work.

Well, he may be ABLE to fire the Assault Missile at Range 1, but that doesn't make it a good idea... :)

#11 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Get close enough he can't fire that Assault Missile at use...  not going to work.

Well, he may be ABLE to fire the Assault Missile at Range 1, but that doesn't make it a good idea... :)

Hey, if firing that Assault Missile at point blank range happens to deal a point of damage to my ship but also hit a half dozen enemy ships at the same time I'd consider that a VERY successful attack.

#12 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

That's what I meant by "ignore range restrictions". Not that it can fire anywhere on the table, but has to at least be in range 3 to fire a range 1-2 missile and visa-versa.

#13 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

The thing about "ignoring range restrictions" is that you have the ST-321 card which allows you to do just that when it comes to acquiring target locks.  

Eventually the game will probably get something that can shoot clear across the board but Wave 3 in not that time.

#14 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

The thing about "ignoring range restrictions" is that you have the ST-321 card which allows you to do just that when it comes to acquiring target locks.  

Eventually the game will probably get something that can shoot clear across the board but Wave 3 in not that time.

Long Range Missiles, I'm guessing. Attack: (Target Lock) - Attack any opposing ship in your forward firing arc. 3 damage dice.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters, 1 Lambda

25 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 76 kills versus 48 losses

#15 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Long Range Missiles, I'm guessing. Attack: (Target Lock) - Attack any opposing ship in your forward firing arc. 3 damage dice.

No way.

Target locking from unlimited range helps fix a problem wtih secondary weapons - you lock at Range 3, and then you're at Range 1 and they can't fire.  It also helps fix the problem that 4 dice wtihout focus is about the same as 3 with focus, so unless you can double up the actions, missiles are wasted points for one-shot weapons that don't actually improve anything.

But being able to attack from all the way across the board, with such a huge firing arc your opponent literally cannot avoid the shot?  Stacking those would mean 3-4 attacks, probably resulting in a dead ship the opponent can respond.  One of the truisms of CCG-like games is that the only solution to speed is more speed.  The only possible counter to that would be other weapons that can respond from that range.

<shudder>  Such a weapon would absolutely destroy the game.

#16 TheKestrel

TheKestrel

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Not if the price is high enough that it may not be worth the gamble. Would you take that weapon if it cost 4 points? Probably. How about 5?  6?

#17 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

Something like that although getting a Target Lock to shoot beyond range 3 may be challenging unless you had help of course.  Pricing could be tricky but one should keep in mind there aren't any fancy dice tricks involved her so its these dice against the target's Defense Dice and possibly Evasion/Focus tokens.  At 4 points it could be useful, at 6 I'm not so sure.

A key restriction to this is the Target Lock (which would be "spent" to fire this missile but that should be a given) as it would do nothing to increase the range the lock could be obtained unless someone hands it to you.

#18 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not if the price is high enough that it may not be worth the gamble. Would you take that weapon if it cost 4 points? Probably. How about 5?  6?

Yes.  Yes.  And Yes.

I might very well take them at 8 points.  Three such weapons would have a 42% chance of killing an X-wing.  Another 45% of the time it would strip the shields and leave it with either 2 or 1 hull left.  And those odds are based solely on hits - factoring criticals into the mix will do nothing but increase them.

X-wings run from 21-29 points.  3 of them with about a 50/50 chance to kill, and almost guaranteed to tear it up?  That's worth the gamble at 8 points, which means they'd probably need to be closer to 10.  What's more, they'd be almost impossible to avoid - at that range, the wedge for the firing arc would cover almost the entire board.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why anyone would want them.  It sounds like a hand of god weapon that's completely un-fun and does nothing but take away from the actual game of X-wing.  You might as well at "Capital Ship Support: Before the game starts, roll 6 attack dice and allocate the damage to your opponent's ships as you see fit."

#19 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yes.  Yes.  And Yes.

I might very well take them at 8 points.  Three such weapons would have a 42% chance of killing an X-wing.  Another 45% of the time it would strip the shields and leave it with either 2 or 1 hull left.  And those odds are based solely on hits - factoring criticals into the mix will do nothing but increase them.

X-wings run from 21-29 points.  3 of them with about a 50/50 chance to kill, and almost guaranteed to tear it up?  That's worth the gamble at 8 points, which means they'd probably need to be closer to 10.  What's more, they'd be almost impossible to avoid - at that range, the wedge for the firing arc would cover almost the entire board.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why anyone would want them.  It sounds like a hand of god weapon that's completely un-fun and does nothing but take away from the actual game of X-wing.  You might as well at "Capital Ship Support: Before the game starts, roll 6 attack dice and allocate the damage to your opponent's ships as you see fit."

I think the cost of a bomber with such an expensive long range missile would make it so that it wouldn't be that devastating. A schimtar bomber with a 6 point long range missile would cost 22 points. 3 of them that would be needed to have the statistical chance to destroy an x-wing as you describe (42% chance) would cost 66 pts.

So lets say someone does try this tactic  and manages to destroy or severely damage an x-wing. Ok, that stinks. But all that you have left  in this list is room for more missiles or torps for your bombers or a couple of academy pilots or something. At most the imp player could have a 5 ship build with these three bombers. And once they spend their payload they are sub par fighters that can't maneuver well (at least as far as we can anticipate). I think even a weakened rebel squad has a decent chance against 3 bombers and one or two other ships. And of course, A-wings and yts can take missiles too, so rebs could employ the same tactic to a certain degree to even the playing field and soften up those bombers before they get in range for standard attacks. And i don't know if your cited statistics include the fact that the defending pilot could use a focus to increase their odds of dodging the missile

I'm kind of sick of the first round of play having all my ships move forward and do nothing. It would be fun to have the option to lob a shot or two across the board before we really mix it up.

As far as the need to have a target lock to shoot a long range missile, it could say spend your focus token to fire this weapon. Problem solved. It would be thematic in the sense of "I'm out of range for a target lock, but if i focus hard enough maybe i can land a lucky shot with this long range missile." Plus focus couldn't then be used to make this missile too devastating.

#20 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

With this hypothetical long range missile you can't forget the Target Lock requirement that was mentioned.  Perhaps I'm just dense but it seem to me that getting target lock beyond range three against a single ship by three different ships is currently beyond anyone's reach.  Now I guess the long range missile would need something to stop Determination from simply allowing a ship to focus and fire but by the time you could get those three target locks an X-Wing should have little trouble getting within range of Bombers.

In some ways the long range missile we're discussing could be a better "second pass" weapon assuming you can blow by the enemy the first pass and then turn around on them after getting out of range.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS