Photo

Enemies of the Imperium… My BC Dark Apostle looks soooo weak now.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

I picked this up today and have just started looking through it. Love what I've seen so far. Thread title refers to the Master-level bad guy Dark Apostle. He'd murder my PC Dark Apostle without effort despite having a much inferior version of the Crozius. Funny enough, his special field rules mean that hitting him lots of paper cuts (like say everyone opening up with lasguns) will whittle him down since every hit has a 10% chance to do 1d5 damage unreduced by anything.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

How is the book, is it worth picking up? also could you tell us what new enemies are actually in the book. I am skeptical to pick it up since one of the things it claimed to have in it was meganobz which are already in the Final testimate campaign so Is it just a collecton of enemies in different campaign books or are there new things also?

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

In all, it feels somewhat lacking to me. Too many high-powered bad guys that will absolutely shred Guardsmen. Do we really need stats for DE Archons, Daemon Princes, and Dark Apostles? I'd rather have had more examples of the lower end of things - give me several different subtypes of Severan Dominate troops or something instead. Unlike Deathwatch and Black Crusade, I just don't find Master opponents to be a good idea here.

#4 Hordeoverseer

Hordeoverseer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I liked it, it's a neat read and the book does exactly what it's supposed to do. That said, a lot of the stats seem lifted from Deathwatch. A lot of these guys are massively powerful with enough damage to shread a Chimera alone, so it would be daughting to have them agaisnt even a squad of guardsman. It could have used some under powered enemies to make more use of it, it feels more like a big boss/villian type of book. The first chapter came as a very plesant surprise though, details on the Severan Dominate and even regiment stats!

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Since I consider vehicles to be the heart of the IG, I'd have liked to see some more vehicles for the xenos (we get a couple), but I'm willing to bet that vehicles are going to feature in another product.

I'm not entirely happy with what they did with the Hellbrute. Here it's statted like a vehicle while in BC's Tome of Excess it's statted like a creature. I hate the lack of consistancy between game lines.

#6 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well in game terms it makes it a bit easier for guardsmen with the right equipment to kill if it is a walker and it does kind of make sense, I guess if you were to combine a few games together then you could pick which one would be more fitting to the characters.

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#7 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

I like the way they have made Helbrute like amalgam (what it essentially is) of Character & Vehicle.

But one thing I have been in love in this book is Dark Eldars. I don't know what Chaos God(s) has listened my feverish dreams and thoughts but they have included Persons & Vehicles I felt were missing from the OW Corebook.

Now my Archon shall ride into War accompanies by his (mis)trusted Lhamaean Mistress, personal Incubi bodyguards and Sslyth mercenaries aboard Tantalus flanked by two Ravagers as Scourges, Hellions and Reavers swoop and dash hunting those mewling mon-keighs.

My players shall not know what hit them as even shadows shall not give them respite as from there Mandrakes shall come fort.

Edited by Routa-maa, 03 July 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#8 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Since I consider vehicles to be the heart of the IG, I'd have liked to see some more vehicles for the xenos (we get a couple), but I'm willing to bet that vehicles are going to feature in another product.

I'm not entirely happy with what they did with the Hellbrute. Here it's statted like a vehicle while in BC's Tome of Excess it's statted like a creature. I hate the lack of consistancy between game lines.

Black Crusade doesn't have vehicle rules, which is why the Helbrute has non-vehicle stats.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#9 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

How is the book, is it worth picking up? also could you tell us what new enemies are actually in the book. I am skeptical to pick it up since one of the things it claimed to have in it was meganobz which are already in the Final testimate campaign so Is it just a collecton of enemies in different campaign books or are there new things also?

The thing about this book is that it isn't a Bestiary. This isn't Only War's version of Mark of the Xenos or The Koronus Bestiary. It's far more than that, and this book is more akin to The Jericho Reach in that it contains lots of background and a number of player options as well as multiple profiles for various adversaries. Each section goes over the relationships between the various factions, new rules for the GM in how to use those factions, and various rewards and abilities players can get for defeating enemies from those factions.

It's a useful book for GMs and players alike.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#10 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Black Crusade doesn't have vehicle rules, which is why the Helbrute has non-vehicle stats.

BYE

Well, I guess that's a big case of lack across the game lines then. I'd think that some Chaos Warband or another would want a Rhino or some such transport and actually have rules for using it. Maybe in the Nurgle book... (but I strongly doubt it).

#11 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

What you say makes sense HappyDaze, but don't you think it would be a bad form to put a vehicle profile in for a unit in a set of rules that doesn't yet have vehicle rules?

BYE

#12 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

Dunno how I have missed that. Just looked up all deamon engines (Defiler, Blood Slaughterer, Brass Scorpion etc. etc.) and yes they have characterics like anyother NPC. No wonder they left Triarch Stalker & Monolith out from Tome of Fate.

Hmmm. Just have to make few crosschecks with these two differend Helbrutes to get little own modified Helldrake before FFG releases (hopefully) tank & aeronautical book for Only War.

#13 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

What you say makes sense HappyDaze, but don't you think it would be a bad form to put a vehicle profile in for a unit in a set of rules that doesn't yet have vehicle rules?
BYE

Its too bad someone couldn't convince them to put out BC vehicle rules before now. Even a PDF with them would have been fine and would prevent the oddity that will come up with those units once (if?) BC gets vehicle rules.

And it's not like they couldn't have just cut & pasted most of the vehicle rules straight out of OW anyways.

#14 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

As the person who wrote said vehicle rules I'd love them to do that, but I don't control policy. I just do as I'm asked.  :) 

BYE

#15 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

How much repetition of 'monsters' is there between this book and other WH40KRP books currently available? Would it be worth getting to loot stats to use in the other game systems?

#16 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

There's a guy at Dakka who I believe either has access to a time machine or his FLGS has access to a time machine, because they always seem to get the books before everyone else. He posted the full contents there, so here it is:

Only War: Enemies of the Imperium Table of Contents 

Chapter 1: The Traitor 
The Revolution 
Road to Secession 
Worlds of the Severan Dominate 
Severan Diplomacy 
- Dark Eldar 
- Waagh Grimtoof 
- Imperial Guard 
Sustaining a Secession 
Forces of the Severan Dominate 
- S.D. Soldier 
- S.D. Sergeant 
- S.D. Lieutenent 
- S.D. Commander 
- Ducal Legate 

Chapter 2: The Beast 
Areas of Activity 
Waagh! Grimtoof and Other Factions 
- Human Forces 
- Servants of the Ruinous Powers 
- Dark Eldar 
- Other Factions 
Waagh! Grimtoof Order of Battle 
Ork Strategies in the Spinward Front 
Ork Battlefield Tactics 
Ork Forces 
- Warboss 
- Mekboy 
- Nobz 
- Killa Kan 
- Deff Dread 
- Squiggoth/Gargantuan Squiggoth 
Ork Clans 

Chapter 3: The Shadow Walkers 
The Dark Eldar 
Areas of Activity in the Front 
Interactions with Other Factions 
Strategy in the Front 
Battlefield Tactics 
Forces of the Kabal 
- Archons 
- Kabelite Trueborn 
- The Archon's Court 
- Succubus 
- Hekatrix Bloodbride 
- Haemonculus 
- Scourge 
- Hellion 
- Incubus 
- Reaver 
- Mandrake 
Dark Eldar Vehicles 
The Kroot 
Kroot Kindreds of the Spindrift Front 
Kroot Forces 
- Kroot Shaper 
- Kroot Mercenary 
- Kroot Hound 
- Krootox 
- Knarloc 
- Great Knarloc 
Traitors and Heretics 
Areas of Activity 
Interactions with Other Factions 
Battlefield Strategies 
Forces of Chaos 
- Dark Apostles 
- Chaos Space Marine 
- Helbrute 
- Chaos Spawn 
- Daemon Prince 
Marks of Chaos 
Chaos Rewards 

Chapter 4: Veterans of the Front 
Formations 
- Commands 
Surviving the Front 
Veteran Talents 
Medals and Honours of the Front 
- Kill Markers 
- Distinguished Service Medals

Lot more in there than just adversary profiles.

BYE

#17 Lucius Valerius

Lucius Valerius

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:23 AM

I'm more interested in CSM then anything else. How different are they from BC ?? Is it possible to RE to pay an astartes type of game ? 

#18 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

I'm more interested in CSM then anything else. How different are they from BC ?? Is it possible to RE to pay an astartes type of game ?

Very similar. Playing with one as a character would be very easy. The hard part would be in figuring out advancement costs (Aptitudes), but most Astartes would have many.

#19 SwiftFox

SwiftFox

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

HBMC: Am I correct in assuming that "Veteran Talents" in Chapter 4 refers to talents that augment comrades and are not just another slice of new talents a la Hammer of the Emperor?

#20 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

@SwiftFox

Sorry no talents that augment Comrades, still have to wait those. Would have been nice though
These "Veteran Talents" have in addition of normal Prerequisition, a specific Battlefield Requirement that must be gained before they can be purchased.
Example:
"Armour-Breaker talent": If the Squad destroy 3 or more enemy vehicles in single mission they gain access to this talent.
Benefit: add +2 to critical damage when firing upon Vehicles.

Now reading through Formations and IMHO I like it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS