Is the game dying?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Did we really need to resurrect this thread?

As far as price comparison goes, you can probably get every card in this game for the cost of a single competitive MtG deck (unless the cost of a good mana base has come dramatically down in the year or so since I last played MtG). After that, it's certainly easier and cheaper to stay "current" with the LCG model than the TCG model. And again, that's to be able to build any deck you'd like versus having a single competitive deck.

#22 HooblaDGN

HooblaDGN

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

This game in its entirety (thus far) actually costs less than all but the cheapest of competitive MTG decks that I have seen. And the cheapest ones aren't really that competitive.

#23 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm pretty sure the game costs less the the mana base of the most expensive MtG deck I ever assembled (Wolf Run Ramp), not to mention the rest of the deck. At the time, the sum of the median values for the cards in the deck came out to several hundred dollars.
  • Toqtamish and JMCB like this

#24 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

Ok, so a couple months ago I found ONE of my old Pro-Tour MtG decks that had somehow been packed away when we moved overseas rather than sold with the rest of my collection.  I sold it to coolstuffinc.com.  With the money and credit I got, I purchased 4 of every X-Wing Miniature released to date, Zombicide with all of its expansions (about $300), a full competitive set of Netrunner (3 Core plus everything else), and a full set of Star Wars LCG (2 core, 2 EoD plus one of everything else, total $172).  I still have about $600 in credit at coolstuff, and cashed a check from them for $641.  When I sold my collection and got out of MtG  (about 10 years ago), I had enough money to buy a car with cash, and put a down payment on my house.  And this was a deck I played so rarely (because it wasn't all that competitive) that I forgot I had it and left it in storage for a decade.

So yes, this game is easier on the wallet.

Edited by KineticOperator, 07 February 2014 - 12:47 AM.

• Toqtamish, MarthWMaster, Keffisch and 1 other like this

#25 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:16 AM

^ great example hehe.

I too remember the pricy days of playing MtG, not to mention WH40K *shudder*.

• KineticOperator likes this

#26 zhentil

zhentil

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

The pricey days are still here gentleman. I too have just gotten out of MTG due to I don't make 90 grand a year. So i have sold all my stuff and got a full set of the Star Wars LCG and Netrunner. Also i now have 2 of each large ship for X-Wing.

• MarthWMaster and GroggyGolem like this

#27 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Ok, so a couple months ago I found ONE of my old Pro-Tour MtG decks that had somehow been packed away when we moved overseas rather than sold with the rest of my collection.  I sold it to coolstuffinc.com.  With the money and credit I got, I purchased 4 of every X-Wing Miniature released to date, Zombicide with all of its expansions (about $300), a full competitive set of Netrunner (3 Core plus everything else), and a full set of Star Wars LCG (2 core, 2 EoD plus one of everything else, total $172).  I still have about $600 in credit at coolstuff, and cashed a check from them for $641.  When I sold my collection and got out of MtG  (about 10 years ago), I had enough money to buy a car with cash, and put a down payment on my house.  And this was a deck I played so rarely (because it wasn't all that competitive) that I forgot I had it and left it in storage for a decade.

So yes, this game is easier on the wallet.

Good luck duplicating that success when you "cash out" of this game.
  • cetiken likes this

#28 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

LCG are not games you "Cash Out" of because they are not the ponzi sceme that CCGs are.

They are fun games based on Skill and deck building is on and even floor not the person who can buy the best deck

• JMCB likes this

#29 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Sadly, the already small player base here (EU) appears to be dwindling.

3 people signed up to the Store Championships and we have but two of those in the country.

(As opposed to X-Wing, which have had 5-6)

Edited by Keffisch, 28 March 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#30 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

I don't think it's dieing. Local metas definitely need a kick to get people attending, I'm hoping heroes and legends does that. Our local store has a subscription service for LCGs and we get a good 5-7 weekly for our game night. On Wednesday I picked up H&L and saw the subscription pile, well over 20 people subscribed. We just need to figure out how to get them all there weekly!

#31 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think a lot of it comes down to logistics, like several people have said.  I just don't have time to go to my LGS every week anymore, unfortunately.  That's the way it is for lots of folks.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS