Online RPG - SW Edge of the Empire

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I know this may get into a copyright issue here but is it possible to find someone running a campaing of this online? Perhaps via forum or chat feature?

I am in the massive number of people who love the SW RPG but cannot play alone.

• cvtheoman likes this

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#2 Rich J

Rich J

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

I have a couple of groups who run sessions over Skype. It works way better than I ever thought it would. 

Thinking of running the Free Rpg Day module over Skype very soon. 

A bad session of gaming is still better than a good day at work!

My Star Wars and general life blog for anyone bored enough:

http://zephyrcorpdreadball.weebly.com/

#3 Bravo McWilley

Bravo McWilley

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

Me and my group just began playing via a blog on wordpress. We got the idea from the triumphdespair blog, which is great, btw. Lots of good stuff on that site.

#4 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Are there any cheap tools online for playing live with voice chat, maps, die rollers, etc? I have been resistant to the concept but I am coming around.

"Over the line!"

#5 Aazlain

Aazlain

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Mark It Zero said:

Are there any cheap tools online for playing live with voice chat, maps, die rollers, etc? I have been resistant to the concept but I am coming around.

Try googling "Roll20".

I haven't tried it yet but I've read that there are scripts for the Edge of the Empire dices. It's free.

If you try it, make sure to report back and share your experience.

Homemade character sheet (v4) (One side for social interaction and one side for physical conflict - Work in progress)
EotE Symbols Font (Unofficial) and Character map

#6 wraith428

wraith428

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'm preparing to use Roll20 to run a Escape from Mos Shuuta and then Long Arm of the Hutt to try out the online concept.  Using it via google hangout which has and Edge of the Empire dice app you can download.  Looks like it has potential.

Wraith428

#7 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

I am intending on running an online, forum-based EotE game after I receive the rulebook. You'd be welcome to give that a look, if you like - just send me a private message that describes the concepts you have in mind, or would be interested in.

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#8 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

I managed to start a group here that will play face to face! Two scenarios in, and I think we'll be playing at least for a while longer. They seem to be enjoying themselves quite a bit.

Once I have the book, I might be interested in playing in a game online though, it'll give me a chance to try out forum, or online client based play.
"Over the line!"

#9 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Check out this thread for a Google+ add-on that has all the right dice and everything!

-EF

#10 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

I'm not savvy about online TTRPGs but I did see this video on YouTube. So these guys seem to have all the tech the OP is asking for.

#11 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Whoa, it embedded? That's new. I was just expecting a text link.

#12 GM Chris

GM Chris

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

I HIGHLY recommend roll20.net.  I've run dozens of EotE games on it, at this point, and it gives me nearly everything I need.  I haven't used any integrated EotE dice scripts for it (my players have just rolled using their own dice, or with the mobile app), but aside from that, roll 20 lets you add maps and tokens (as well as "turning off" the grid lines and snap-to's to support "abstract" movement and ranges).  Integrated chat and voice/video.  Oh - and FREE.

A few tips I've gleaned if you're going to use roll20:

- Destiny Points:  Create black/white tokens for use in roll20.  You can add half a dozen dark & light side destiny point tokens to the GM Layer of your first screen/map on roll20.  When your players roll to determine the DP allocation, simply move the appropriate tokens "up" from the GM layer to the map layer (now "visible" to your players).  As play continues, and DPs are spent, you simply have to right-click and move them back down to the GM layer, or up to the map layer.  Works beautifully, and really replicates the "feel" of the destiny point tokens on the table.  When you move to a new map/page, you simply drag and highlight all your current DP tokens, and copy them over to the new map/page.

- Initiative:  As we all know, initiative works very differently in EotE.  The problem with using roll20.net's innate initiative tracker (which is pretty slick) is that each PC or NPC doesn't have "their own" initiative order in EotE.  So... you create a pair of small tokens, and label them "PC" and "NPC".  But them at the bottom of any map/page you create in roll20.  When it comes time to roll initiative, and you want to "show it", don't click on the character tokens to add them to initiative - instead click on the little "PC" and "NPC" tokens you created, and add THEM to initiative as many times as you need to.  This will display in the appropriate fashion for you and your players.

- Tokens:  Creating tokens (such as the aforementioned) really helps in an online game.  Don't forget about this awesome free resource, http://www.rptools.n...loads#TokenTool.  TokenTool was created by the guys who made MapTool (one of the original online map/play applications), and is a standalone app you can install on a memory stick, and run it.  It lets you drag images directly onto it, re-size, move, and create unique borders, then quickly save the file as a jpeg token.  The token will look good, be just the size you need, and can be dragged onto your roll20 map/page easily.

• Lorne and jimmylogan0916 like this

Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66

#13 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am trying to get into an online game myself.  Would like to use Skype for voice chat.  This game is played very well over Goggle + Hangouts and there is a dice app available for it for the specialized dice and Roll 20 can be used through it too.

#14 DeathSparrow

DeathSparrow

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

Looking to play some EotE if anyone needs players contact me please

#15 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hope you all have met with success. :) My own game's going nicely: seven players, with another nineteen applying for places (should I ever lose any current players to RL circumstances).

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#16 jimmylogan0916

jimmylogan0916

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

I HIGHLY recommend roll20.net. <snip>

Thank you for listing these tips! We have been using roll20.net for another RPG and I'm getting ready to use it to GM EotE and most of these I did NOT know or think of. :-)

#17 Tassedar

Tassedar

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

yes online eote through roll 20 on google hangouts is all you need google hangouts even has a dice app that makes it just perfect.

#18 Lord Zack

Lord Zack

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'd love to run a game on roll20.net if I can find some players.

#19 jimmylogan0916

jimmylogan0916

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

I have a campaign getting ready to start with a group of friends, but I would be willing to play in someone else's campaign as well!

#20 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

i've played a bit on rpol.net, and roll20 looks good.  anyone have experience on both that can compare them?  or any other options for online rp?

The Rule of Cool trumps.  Math is such a tool.

Remember to have fun.  After all, this is a game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS