Photo

What other books/accessories do you think will come out?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Farsox

Farsox

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Ken on Cape said:

Anyone else think FFG will come out with a way to convert stats from this so you can use the x wing mini game for ship combat?

Possible, but if done it won't be right away.

If anything, we might see something like this (if at all) around the time that "Age of Rebellion" is due to hit shelves next year.

I have been working on a homebrew solution for this.  It's going to be difficult to make it work well, but I don't think it will be too hard to make it fun for my group.

I don't know if FFG will see a need for it, since EotE already has a mechanic for space combat;  however, I agree with Donovan that if it does happen, it will mostly likely be when "Age of Rebellion" is released.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

Specialization Trees

#22 gwek

gwek

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

I can't wait for all the Firefly supplements.

#23 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

I want to see a TON of adventures and sourcebooks for the different eras of Star Wars like the old republic, rise of the empire, rebellion era, legacy, clone wars, episode VII era, etc.

#24 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Actually yeah, an Old Republic book would be a cool thing to have someday.

#25 Protege

Protege

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

I want to see a TON of adventures and sourcebooks for the different eras of Star Wars like the old republic, rise of the empire, rebellion era, legacy, clone wars, episode VII era, etc.

I would also love to see this but my gut feeling tells me that FFG is going to focus on the OT timeline and not stray much from it. I think it would be great to see Thrawn Trilogy books and an expanded EU book list. I would even like to see a New Jedi Order book.

#26 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

I note that the content of the Core Rulebook seems almost to not acknowledge the existence of the prequels. Probably just a by-product of the game being set in the GCW era. Still, interesting...

#27 Shane

Shane

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think if we see other eras or the like it'll come after the three planned and announced games in the way that stuff like Black Crusade followed the other 40K games.

Shane

#28 fuelstaind

fuelstaind

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

I think if we see other eras or the like it'll come after the three planned and announced games in the way that stuff like Black Crusade followed the other 40K games.

Shane

What are the three announced games? Any link to this info?

Edited by fuelstaind, 03 July 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#29 Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Shane

What are the three announced games? Any link to this info?

The two remaining games after Edge of the Empire will be Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny. Some basic information here: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3496.

"Mr. Flibble is very cross."

--Arnold J. Rimmer

#30 fuelstaind

fuelstaind

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Thank you. I guess if I had just waited a couple hours, I could have just watched the video and gotten the info.

#31 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

The other 2/3rd of the core rules would be great.

#32 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

Shane

Agreed.

Once FFG has gotten the books for core of their "Star Wars experience" finished, then I'd imagine they'd start looking at other eras.  Personally, I'm thinking KOTOR/SWTOR and New Movie eras would be the big ones.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#33 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

Shane

Agreed.

Once FFG has gotten the books for core of their "Star Wars experience" finished, then I'd imagine they'd start looking at other eras.  Personally, I'm thinking KOTOR/SWTOR and New Movie eras would be the big ones.

Honestly, there's no way I'm waiting that long.  Old Republic era happens to be my favorite era, and the game I'm running in it now is going to be in it.  The rules are so malleable that you can easily just reskin the different things they give you in this book and use them in the Old Republic era, since the technology is only so different.  The sky is the limit!

However, if they do put out alternative era books in the future, you'd best believe I am going to get them.

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

#34 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Honestly, there's no way I'm waiting that long.  Old Republic era happens to be my favorite era, and the game I'm running in it now is going to be in it.  The rules are so malleable that you can easily just reskin the different things they give you in this book and use them in the Old Republic era, since the technology is only so different.  The sky is the limit!

However, if they do put out alternative era books in the future, you'd best believe I am going to get them.

Well, nobody said you had to wait for official sourcebooks on eras outside that of the Rebellion Era.  I know for the WotC versions, folks were playing campaigns in the KOTOR era long before the Saga Edition sourcebook came out, and I know there's at least a few Play-by-Post games over on d20 Radio that take place outside the time frame that FFG is currently focusing on.

• Endrik Tenebris likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#35 Hunterindarkness

Hunterindarkness

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

I want to see the Legacy Era source book, New republic and onward would be nice as well.

#36 Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

The other 2/3rd of the core rules would be great.

*sigh*

I only agree in the sense that releasing the other two big books now would spare the rest of us two years of this kind of bellyaching.

"Mr. Flibble is very cross."

--Arnold J. Rimmer

#37 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

As excited as I am to get my hands on the Core Rules, and as jazzed as the new video from FFG about the product line made me, there are some things I'm a little concerned about.:

1. I've now heard from multiple people who went to the FFG Launch event on the 2nd that FFG employees kind of downplayed other eras of Star Wars gaming suggesting that most people want to play in the Rebellion era.  While that may be true for old-schoolers like myself and my friends, I can say with 100% certitude that my daughter and most of her friends are far more interested in playing during the Clone Wars era. 

I ran a few sessions for this group which involved a lot of late teens, and to a person they wanted to know if I could run something set during the Clone Wars.  Of course that's no big deal and I'll make some conversions and probably use the excellent "Edge of the Jedi" fan supplement.  However, I hope those statements by FFG were misconstrued, as there are plenty of great gaming opportunities outside of the Rebellion Era (e.g., Clone Wars, Legacy Era, Old Republic).

2. So the intent for Force users is to play a Force Adept in Edge of the Empire, a more powerful Force user in Age of Rebellion, and a full blown Jedi in Force & Destiny?  I state this as a question because this brings up a "canon" issue.  Technically large numbers of new Jedi aren't trained until some 11 years after the Battle of Yavin with Luke opening of the Jedi Praxeum.  How exactly does this book fit in with that "continuity?" Or is "Force & Destiny" more or less just a big Force book which can cover the post-ROTJ era, Republic era or even the Old Republic?

Yancy

Edited by Gallandro, 04 July 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#38 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

1.  Yea, I think because of the mid-production switch of Lucasarts into Disney's hands, they are going to focus purely on the Rebellion and immediately post-Rebellion era.  I doubt we'll see a lot of stuff from other eras, even if we say so.  They might not have the rights to it.  That means homebrewing rules is our only (and a very easy) option.

2.  I honestly have no idea.  If nothing else, it might have cool rules for Holocrons and other cool things that you could find and use to strengthen your own skills.  Considering how rare Jedi are in this particular era, I too am very interested to see what they do for that book.  Regardless, I'm excited to see it!

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

#39 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

@Yancy  Coming to you as a guy who can find something awesome to like about practically any era...

1. Of course the younger demographic loves Clone Wars. They've been raised on the prequels no different than we were raised on the classic trilogy. It's their Star Wars. Since the Disney buyout though you can pretty much look across all the project lines and see a massive shift back towards the classic trilogy, wether this be in the form of the upcoming animation, Battlefront 3, the new card, minis, and board games, even episode 7... all of it. Old Republic era has been rockin' strong since the early 90's and it seems apparent that the creators behind the scenes are are ready to shift to a different era rather than continue to beat one particular one to death. This isn't a right/wrong kind of thing, it just seems like a deliberate set of steps, and honestly it's probably smart business. I'm not much of a homebrew guy unless I'm creating something with Fate or some other open system, but coming up with a custom era setting may be the way out for folks that have to play in other eras, and really all the tools are there so why not do it?

2. Take a moment to consider this. You're Force sensitive. You've been born in the back end of space and are pretty much removed from the "classic trilogy" events so you're not even aware of the fact of what that is or what that even means. Over the course of your adventures you not only discover more about yourself and the strange things you can do, but you also start discovering this galactic history that takes you on a quest to discover what it all means. In the past the Jedi were either farmed from the youth, or we saw the frayed ends and beginnings of lines. There's a really cool opportunity here for a new kind of "Jedi" journey for the right player with a creative mind, and to me at least that seems pretty exciting.

I think "canon" as we know it, especially if you're looking at the EU book and graphic novel lines, is probably going to get bumped around a bit over the next few years. The few of us diehards who have read Zahn will no doubt twitch and a few of us will probably fly into an online fit of Butthurtery. But in the end this epic story and franchise will not only be fine but outlive all of us. Why not see it change and grow? Just imagine the New Kids in a few short years that will have 7-9 as "their" Star Wars. What kind of fan community do we want to have waiting for them? Wise Jedi Masters or a bunch of whiny moisture farmers?

Let's see what FFG comes up with and not worry about Clone Wars product line #5467. I think it will be awesome, myself. And I think the kids will get into it as soon as JJ is done doing his thing.

Cheers

#40 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I note that the content of the Core Rulebook seems almost to not acknowledge the existence of the prequels. Probably just a by-product of the game being set in the GCW era. Still, interesting...

This pleases me greatly.  I hope they keep the 3 primary core rulebooks OT based.  The  Supplements can reach into other aspects of the Star Wars mythos but keep the core rulebooks focused on what made Star Wars the cultural phenom it is today. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS