Photo

What other books/accessories do you think will come out?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 fuelstaind

fuelstaind

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

I just got the Beginner Game and it says that the Core Rulebook is the first in a line of items to be coming out for this AMAZING game. What else do you think will be/ should be coming out? I would think there would have to be some sort of Players Handbook to go along with the Core book. Also, I could see additional maps and token, but those may be included in the adventures. I certainly look forward to a lot of time playing this game.

#2 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

No idea, but I would like to see:

* A cardboard token pack, and more maps like the Beginner's Game. No grid, just nice tools for simple representation, that fit well with the narrative style of the game.

* Adversaries Book, this seems like an obvious addition.

"Over the line!"

#3 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

A book on adversaries is a given. After that, I think a book on alien races (or maybe they could fold the two together). Gear and starships is another given.

#4 Lickintoad

Lickintoad

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

I would like to see a tactical combat option in a supplement for those who enjoy that.  I'd also like to see more weapons (especially melee weapons like vibroknucklers, polearms and the like) with some more granularity in the differences between them.  I'd like to see a difference between a DL-44 and a DH-17.

I'd like to see more maps that would fit the 1" grid scale of WotC's games so that I can use my minis again.

#5 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

More modules would be great

#6 $hamrock

$hamrock

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Jshock said:

A book on adversaries is a given. After that, I think a book on alien races (or maybe they could fold the two together). Gear and starships is another given.

Thus far, in the announced products they are following the same path Dark Heresy and the 40K line followed. To a "T".  Core book, GM screen, (dice, needed to play, wasn't in the 40K line), a big adventure.  The next announcement should be a "players options", which should include a handful of new species, a totally new class or two, and some different sublevel classes for existing classes.  More equipment and some more ships. 

Eventually we should see a ships book, too.

Adversaries is a given, as a “monsters manual” kinda helps the GM with on the fly adventures, a great deal.

A species book- I personally think we have seen the last of those in the D20 games.  I would love, love, love, one of them, but SAGA's business model proved too successful for it not to be followed.  On more then one occation Rodney (Star Wars head for SAGA/wotc) made it abundantly clear that "species sold books".  In both d20, and Rd20, the inappropriately titled "Alien Anthology"  (there are no "aliens in Star Wars), were the highest selling books next to the core books.  So with SAGA they put out a handful of species in each book, and all books sold better.  

That said, they are going to hold species back for the future versions of the game as well.  Rebels book is going to get Mon Cals (educated guess, don’t know this for sure), and others generally associated to the rebellion, and Jedi will get the "jedi" identified species.  If for no other reason then the players of one game will want all the books to have the total species options.  At least that’s how I would do it.

If we do see a species anthology, it would be like the last book they put out, kind of a last bump.

I wonder, with the Disney buy out and all that, there has been a ton of EU that isn't sitting well, any longer (or about to get the donkey punch, due to the new movies).. almost all of the future stuff, as the casting call doesn’t have Han and Leia slated for 3 kids, and Luke looks to have learned from the mistakes of the father and not established a relationship, thus no kids.  (Another educated guess based on the casting call papers and J.J. opinions on the new Jedi order).  I have to question if we're ever going to see the likes of Squibs, and Verpines in this iteration of the game.    Anyway, being as the new movies will be out before the Jedi book will, I guess we shall see what J.J. and Disney are bringing to the table before it's too late to incorporate them. 

That’s my .02,

#7 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

I think $hamrock's on the money in regards to a "species" book.  FFG might even extend that approach to new starships and equipment, in that rather than separate books for each, such new material will be included in sourcebooks detailing other systems, or even included with published adventures.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing something akin to WEG's Galaxy Guide series, most of which detailed certain regions or aspects of the galaxy, such as bounty hunters, scouts, tramp freighter captains, specific areas of the galaxy (Bespin, Tatooine, Corellia, new planet/systems created by FFG).  Probably a pipe dream, but I think it'd be pretty neat.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#8 Farsox

Farsox

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

I think $hamrock's on the money in regards to a "species" book.  FFG might even extend that approach to new starships and equipment, in that rather than separate books for each, such new material will be included in sourcebooks detailing other systems, or even included with published adventures.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing something akin to WEG's Galaxy Guide series, most of which detailed certain regions or aspects of the galaxy, such as bounty hunters, scouts, tramp freighter captains, specific areas of the galaxy (Bespin, Tatooine, Corellia, new planet/systems created by FFG).  Probably a pipe dream, but I think it'd be pretty neat.

Here is an excerpt from the new article, "Climactic Confrontations," on the EotE main page:

Once you dream up the main plot points and villains of your campaign, you’ll need to flesh in some of the details. Fortunately, the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook contains nearly one-hundred pages of setting and background information about the galaxy and its laws and societies.

While 100 pages isn't enough to be all-inclusive, it is encouraging that the Core Book will contain that much content on Galaxy settings.  I hope that it is an indication that there will be more of the same in future books.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

Specialization Trees

#9 DVeight

DVeight

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

The core book about to be release is 468 pages. Correct me if I am wrong but pretty sure its about there. Thats a lot of content in one book so surely some of those elements are being covered off so all you really need to do is gather a group and start having some good fun with that triumph and despair.

#10 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

Farsox said:

Here is an excerpt from the new article, "Climactic Confrontations," on the EotE main page:

Once you dream up the main plot points and villains of your campaign, you’ll need to flesh in some of the details. Fortunately, the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook contains nearly one-hundred pages of setting and background information about the galaxy and its laws and societies.

While 100 pages isn't enough to be all-inclusive, it is encouraging that the Core Book will contain that much content on Galaxy settings.  I hope that it is an indication that there will be more of the same in future books.

Except that if following the Galaxy Guide example, it wouldn't just be setting info.  It'd also be NPCs, new species/starships/equipment, new rules subsets, and adventure seeds/scenarios.

The Galaxy Guides for Tramp Freighters (#6), Scouts (#8), and Bounty Hunters (#10) provided a bevy of info outside of just setting material, such as NPCs, new ships, rules for modifying your ship, and new tech.  Said GG's also had a full adventure (hell, GG#6 had a full-blown campaign) as well as the listed "crunch" material.

#11 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

I think they will follow the 40K pattern they have established:

• They start with a Core book and GM Kit (check)
  • Then they do an adventure - usually 3 parter (check)
  • Next is a players options book
  • Then an antagonist/location book
  • Somewhere in there they throw in a bigger adventure set
  • After that they start branching out

There are some variation, especially after those inital books come out, but they always start the same.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#12 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Doc, the Weasel said:

I think they will follow the 40K pattern they have established:

• They start with a Core book and GM Kit (check)
  • Then they do an adventure - usually 3 parter (check)
  • Next is a players options book
  • Then an antagonist/location book
  • Somewhere in there they throw in a bigger adventure set
  • After that they start branching out

There are some variation, especially after those inital books come out, but they always start the same.

Since it seems the 40K pattern has worked out in FFG's favor, and they've already set-up their Star Wars line to follow a similar model (3 core rulebooks, each detailing a different aspect of the overall setting), you're probably on the mark as to how FFG will proceed in terms of supplments.

Who knows, maybe they'll start touching upon expanded Force-usage in the player's option book as a means of getting additional feedback from the players on what does and doesn't work when it comes to Force-users in general.  Be handy to have before they plunge full-bore into the nest of gundarks that are Jedi and/or Sith.

#13 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

I've said it before (and why not repeat it?! :D), but what I'd love to see is a boxed 'sandbox-style' campaign setting: planets, locations, NPCs, creatures, equipment, starships, all supported by a few fold-out maps and tokens of some of the major NPCs and vehicles. Along with this could come a little booklet of adventure hooks, and maybe a campaign 'skeleton' that GMs could build on.

To the fellow who said he wants grid maps to use his minis on: I think this game would work great with minis, even without the grid: just plonk 'em on the table within their various range bands, and enjoy the 'ooh-ahh!' factor. :)

• Darth Hideous likes this

#14 Ken on Cape

Ken on Cape

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Anyone else think FFG will come out with a way to convert stats from this so you can use the x wing mini game for ship combat?

#15 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

I've said it before (and why not repeat it?! :D), but what I'd love to see is a boxed 'sandbox-style' campaign setting: planets, locations, NPCs, creatures, equipment, starships, all supported by a few fold-out maps and tokens of some of the major NPCs and vehicles. Along with this could come a little booklet of adventure hooks, and maybe a campaign 'skeleton' that GMs could build on.

To the fellow who said he wants grid maps to use his minis on: I think this game would work great with minis, even without the grid: just plonk 'em on the table within their various range bands, and enjoy the 'ooh-ahh!' factor. :)

RPGs definitely need more boxed sets!

"Over the line!"

#16 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Ken on Cape said:

Anyone else think FFG will come out with a way to convert stats from this so you can use the x wing mini game for ship combat?

Personally, I don't really see the need for this.  I will definitely use the minis to help represent ship to ship combat, but I wouldn't want any conversion.  The dice mechanic for X-Wing does a good job for a tactical minis game, but the dice mechanic for Edge of the Empire does a GREAT job for roleplaying. The options available to players of the RPG are so much greater than those in the mini game.

#17 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

Ken on Cape said:

Possible, but if done it won't be right away.

If anything, we might see something like this (if at all) around the time that "Age of Rebellion" is due to hit shelves next year.

#18 Wulfgar22

Wulfgar22

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

* A cardboard token pack, and more maps like the Beginner's Game. No grid, just nice tools for simple representation, that fit well with the narrative style of the game.

This! I'd definitely like to see more character/npc tokens.

#19 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

I'd like to see a book focusing on spaceships and space combat, with more options and scenarios to spice that part of the game up.

#20 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I would gladly pick up boxed adventure/campaign sets complete with tokens, maps, and bits ala WHFR. With almost 35 years of Star Wars under my belt I'm not sure what kind of sourcebooks would be beneficial but let's be honest, I'm going to grab whatever they throw out for this title. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS