Photo

Damaged miniatures, recommended glue to fix?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 futurewolfie

futurewolfie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

I accidentally broke one of the guns off an X-Wing model, and a wing game off a TIE Advanced model.  It seems simple enough to glue back together but I don't want to use a glue that will make things worse.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a glue that will work, make a good strong bond, and won't damage the plastic or paint further? Is normal superglue okay?

-wolfie

#2 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

Loctite Super Glue Gel is what I use.  I have repaired both TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor wings with it.  It only goes where you want it and it takes very little to stick parts together.  No running or mess either.

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 Headhunter (3)YT-1300 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces

SOONtir -  (6) Rebel Aces

#3 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

Zap (Zip?) from the hobby store is a great product.  If you have troubles getting small parts to bind quickly, you can also get zip-kicker to make it bond faster.  Excellent applicator, just don't overuse it.  A very little amount takes care of it, and adding more actually makes it stick worse (the same as all other super-glue types).

#4 Aridia 97th

Aridia 97th

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Zap with kicker is great!  Been using both for years.  One warning if you've never used it before.  Don't have any glue on your fingers and then get the accelerant on top of it.  It cures your glue instantly, but the chemical reaction creates a lot of heat, so you'll be screaming phrases that will surely turn you to the dark side.

#5 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

I wouldn't use Zap-a-gap on these. For one thing it is very liquidy which means it could run into places you don't want. Secondly I never understood what the point of the kicker is, 20 seconds is too long to wait for it to hold securely?

I would reccomend something that is a gel, like this

http://www.rchut.co....ages/bsi112.jpg

It is incredibly strong, I use it to bond medal mini's together, something Zap-a-gap is norotoriously bad for and have never had one break from normal use.

Regardless of what you decide, remember this. When using any cyanoacrylite glue (which both of the above are) use as little as possible to bond the model.  Too much and they will leave a white residue on the surrounding paint as the gasses from the curing glue expand.

#6 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

zip kicker also desolves some paint and gets everywhere if you are using the aersol version. The "gel control" super glue works really well. easy application bottle too, AND the tip doesnt get clogged…  

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#7 TRamsey

TRamsey

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

The best glue to use for repairs is Plastsruct Bondene, I have used this product to rebuild all my Y-wing models. It actually welds the plastic together for a stronger bond. The set time is good only about 20 minutes.

#8 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

kind of off topic but i was wondering how TRamsey managed to break all his Y-wings? as they seem to be the most robust of all the ships? 

#9 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Based on mine, he quite likely broke off the thrust vectrals and re-glued them on straight. I'm considering doing that myself.

#10 TRamsey

TRamsey

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

I disassembled mine on purpose the engines were crooked on all three I purchased, I also scratch-built new turrets out of plastic stock. I decided to make improvements while I scratch-built 3 McQuarrie concept A-wings.

#11 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

Ah, thanks.. just wondering..lol just figured if folks manged to bust up Y-wings than surly Ties and  X wings don't have a chance!! 

#12 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

I disassembled mine on purpose the engines were crooked on all three I purchased, I also scratch-built new turrets out of plastic stock. I decided to make improvements while I scratch-built 3 McQuarrie concept A-wings.

How did you disassemble them? Just carefully breaking them apart or did you use something to dissolve the glue?

#13 TRamsey

TRamsey

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Y-wings are pretty tough Hombres I was not gentle in disassembly but I was careful in the placement of my jewelers saw and checked my cutting progress often to ensure I did not stray off course. With light sanding I trued the rear engine assembly  and re-glued with Plastruct Bondene cement in the white labeled bottle.  I cut the raised detail of the turret with an exacto blade, I then cut styrene plastic disks with a punch set for the turret and added styrene tube for the guns.

#14 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Nice. I hadn't thought about replacing the turrets, but now I am. Thanks.

#15 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Sound like a lot off work... could you please show us some pics? :)

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#16 TRamsey

TRamsey

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

I posted A few of my other stuff I will get better pictures of rebuilds and repaints too I guess.

http://www.flickr.co...s/98392983@N05/

#17 TRamsey

TRamsey

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Added close up of Y-wing with far engine corrected and close engine to be corrected.

http://www.flickr.co...s/98392983@N05/

#18 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Looks nice... congrats

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#19 coffeetable

coffeetable

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

TRamsey, where'd you get that modified Imperial Customs Frigate? I want a modified Imperial Customs Frigate/Counter Puncher?

Did you make that? Do you have plans or a guide to making it?

#20 TRamsey

TRamsey

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

The customs ship was scatchbuilt from plasticard and spare parts from old aircraft kits. I used the 2-D plans as templates and used a scale converter to get the size correct.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS