WFRP at Metagames Convention 6th of July 2013 Peterborough UK

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

I will be running a game of WFRP 3rd Ed at the Metagames Convention on the 6th of July 2013. This is being held at the Milifield Community centre in Peterborough (United Kingdom not Ontario). I understand that game sign up will be on the day (I am running a game not the convention).

More details can be found here:-

www.metagamescon.webs.com/

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#2 Bobus X

Bobus X

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

Damn, this is the first I have heard of this.  I live in Oundle and would totally go, but I work that day.  Well GL!

#3 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

For the first attempt at a small town convention this went pretty well.  Whilst there were card, war and board games being played it was the roleplaying community that made up most of the attendance with about 5 or 6 full tables in every slot. Pathfinder dominated the games but Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, 7th Seas and, of course, WFRP were also played.

I ran an adventure called The Filthy Five which had been my submission to the scenario writing contest lat year. I had five players including 4 regular roleplayers (although all new to WFRP) and 1 trying out roleplaying for the first time in 10+ years.  The players all seemed to get the hang of the dice and where building their own dice pools afer the first encounter.  The fact that most of the rules were presented on the cards in front on them seemed to help.  All in all it was a success for my first game ran at a convention.

The scenario held up pretty well.  I had written it to last 4 hours and despite starting half and hour late we managed to finish satisfactorily in about 3.5. The adventure features a noble sending prisoners into the woods to steal a sword from a bandit to earn their freedom. As they story progresses they learn that the 'bandit' leader is in fact just trying to save his village from beastmen and he has been forced into banditry to steal money and weapons to help fortify the town.  The characters figured this element of the story out pretty well and then, in the final siege of the village, they stole the sword and ran for it leaving the village to die at the hands of a beastman herd.  One day I will learn by lesson and stop trying to put moral dilemmas into roleplaying adventures. 

The organisers are apparently looking to run this again later in the year and I will certainly be looking to run again.

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I enjoyed reading that adventure btw.  It is perfect for a convention.

My players do the same thing in our adventures.  False Pretenses; The Pig, the Witch and Her Lover; Karl's & Scents,  and many other village adventures were left to rot and burn, considered overtaken by the forces of Chaos.

Now, I hand out Corruption Points (no resistance) when they leave innocents to die (or if they decide to burn down an orphanage to chase out a mutant).   Guilt has a heavy weight now in my campaigns, as do "evil actions."  I don't reward them with being "marked" by chaos anymore either.  I go right to mutations and insanities (or both at the same time when they find out they have a mutation).

jh

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

duplicate post

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 07 July 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#6 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Now, I hand out Corruption Points (no resistance) when they leave innocents to die (or if they decide to burn down an orphanage to chase out a mutant).   Guilt has a heavy weight now in my campaigns, as do "evil actions."  I don't reward them with being "marked" by chaos anymore either.  I go right to mutations and insanities (or both at the same time when they find out they have a mutation).

jh

That strikes me as a step too far.  I think there should be a difference between chaos and evil.  The innocent mutant is a bit of WFRP standard and linking mutation to evil actions takes away that option.  It also takes away the option of having a straight forward evil, but not chaotic, NPC. I tend to find chaos can become a bit too ubiquitous in WFRP so it is good to swap it out for a more everyday type of bad guy on a regular basis. Also I am not sure that running to save you life is really is evil action. Granted it is clearly not heroic but I am not sure it is evil.  It wasn't them burning the village afterall.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS