Encounter at Amon Din

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hey so how about the quest?  What's it like? Location Heavy? Enemy Heavy? big boss like the last 2 AP? Super easy? Super hard? Glaurung and I really want to know.....

#42 chrsjxn

chrsjxn

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Ithilien Pit seems so niche. Especially since most enemies that are really big can't have attachments.

The standout card in the pack definitely seems to be Lord of Mothrond, though.

#43 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Ithilien Pit seems so niche. Especially since most enemies that are really big can't have attachments.

Hmm, I think the Pit is meant for any (legal) enemy really, it is always better to have the chance to strike them first...

#44 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'm really excited to use ithilien pit with low threat decks. For example it's going to be excellent in a Denthor/Spirfindel/Mirlonde I was using before so that I can exclusively use Denethor to scry the deck and avoid using him to defend. Anborn will make all these better too

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#45 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Just picked up Amon Din today and found that the attachment "Lord of Morthond" only allows you to draw a card when you play Lore, Spirit, or Tactics allies (not Leadership allies as was previously mentioned in this thread!). To me, this limits the card a bit, seeing how Errand Riders, Snowbourn Scouts, and the leadership Outlands allies (Forlong & Warrior of Lossarnach) will not trigger the card's response (neither will Envoy's of Pelargir for that matter).

This does not inspire me enough to take out Beravor from my hero line-up of the Outlands Deck to go mono-leadership...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#46 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

Just picked up Amon Din today and found that the attachment "Lord of Morthond" only allows you to draw a card when you play Lore, Spirit, or Tactics allies (not Leadership allies as was previously mentioned in this thread!). To me, this limits the card a bit, seeing how Errand Riders, Snowbourn Scouts, and the leadership Outlands allies (Forlong & Warrior of Lossarnach) will not trigger the card's response (neither will Envoy's of Pelargir for that matter).

This does not inspire me enough to take out Beravor from my hero line-up of the Outlands Deck to go mono-leadership...

It makes the card much more interesting; and inspires me to try harder for the mono-Leadership Outlands deck.

#47 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

Wow, that's a big difference.  Then it really only is good for Hurluin/outlands.  I can't imagine any other mono-leadership deck using it.  Unless aragorn with the stone or songs are used.  This really limits the usefulness of the card.  Bummed.

But, I guess it still has a chance of triggering at most 12 times with non-leadership outlands allies.  It's better than nothing, but not enough to remove Beravor from an outland deck. Maybe there will be more outlands allies coming too.

• kyrie likes this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#48 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Yes all this new cards is really cool but what about a quest? This is most important cose if quest is not good doesn matter how good a players cards since it will be boring anyway.

Please tell us about the encounter deck and quest! Thank you

• karagh likes this
Wizard is never late.......

#49 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

wow lord of morthond is a complete bummer. maybe once the mono leadership booster faramir we all know is coming is out he will be good enough to potentially drop Berevor and make a leadership outlands deck with Hirluin, Theodred, and Faramir...

#50 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

wow lord of morthond is a complete bummer. maybe once the mono leadership booster faramir we all know is coming is out he will be good enough to potentially drop Berevor and make a leadership outlands deck with Hirluin, Theodred, and Faramir...

do we actually know for sure faramir will be a mono booster? maybe he will like his adventures multi-sphered?

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#51 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

no we dont know but it seems like a pretty strong assumption; i personally would prefer if he wasnt but the speculation based on theodan and mirlonde's abilities makes sense

#52 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

indeed i agree, though ffg do have a habit of surprising us.

rich

#53 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

Just took my first attempt at the new quest. The mechanics are pretty interesting, as you need to find the right balance of Rescued Villagers to Dead Villagers. The second stage allows you to take undefended attacks in the form of removing rescued villagers, i.e., save your heroes but let the people be slaughtered (real funny btw). It's quite easy to save Villagers because they give you Lord Alcaron at the beginning as an objective ally (1 WP, 2 AT, 2 DF, 3 HP, w/ ability to exhaust to save a villager).

There seemed to be a balance of locations and enemies and there is a final Orc Boss (Ghulat) at the end whose attack is equal to number of dead villagers (real powerful towards the end).

I tried playing with a Hobbit Secrecy deck and did ok until a double enemy surge and a shadow card which increased my threat by 9 and then I threated out. I was able to Elbereth Githonial the boss enemy quite easily but my little hobbits just couldn't get enough willpower to power through the end (Protector of Lorian worked well for the most part with lots of card draw from Peace, and Thought, but it could only do so much).

The quest seems like it would be pretty easy though with an Outlands deck or Dwarf deck or Elf deck in solo mode. It seems like it would be similar to Druadan Forest quest in that with more players it becomes more difficult due to the synergy among the encounter deck.

I am really happy with it overall, especially the theme in saving villagers or just letting the orcs slaughter them as you stand by safely watching the people die and the village burn  :lol:. This will be a good quest to try more hobbits and other fun theme decks due to the average difficulty level (5).

Edited by kyrie, 04 July 2013 - 11:25 AM.

• Gizlivadi likes this

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#54 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

I kinda prefer him being a mono leadership booster, but that somehow can also work with rangers/lore.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#55 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

true like ally Denethor breaking the sphere tradition

#56 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Just took my first attempt at the new quest. The mechanics are pretty interesting, as you need to find the right balance of Rescued Villagers to Dead Villagers. The second stage allows you to take undefended attacks in the form of removing rescued villagers, i.e., save your heroes but let the people be slaughtered (real funny btw). It's quite easy to save Villagers because they give you Lord Alcaron at the beginning as an objective ally (1 WP, 2 AT, 2 DF, 3 HP, w/ ability to exhaust to save a villager).

There seemed to be a balance of locations and enemies and there is a final Orc Boss (Ghulat) at the end whose attack is equal to number of dead villagers (real powerful towards the end).

I tried playing with a Hobbit Secrecy deck and did ok until a double enemy surge and a shadow card which increased my threat by 9 and then I threated out. I was able to Elbereth Githonial the boss enemy quite easily but my little hobbits just couldn't get enough willpower to power through the end (Protector of Lorian worked well for the most part with lots of card draw from Peace, and Thought, but it could only do so much).

The quest seems like it would be pretty easy though with an Outlands deck or Dwarf deck or Elf deck in solo mode. It seems like it would be similar to Druadan Forest quest in that with more players it becomes more difficult due to the synergy among the encounter deck.

I am really happy with it overall, especially the theme in saving villagers or just letting the orcs slaughter them as you stand by safely watching the people die and the village burn  :lol:. This will be a good quest to try more hobbits and other fun theme decks due to the average difficulty level (5).

Sound like against one more easy quest......
Looks like they give us very powerful outlands and after give us some snacks to eat it. And now need to wait for another year to play nihtmare mode easy mode and standart we gor straight away. Why not got a nightmare too. Since Hon i start to get more and more disappointed
Wizard is never late.......

#57 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

Sound like against one more easy quest......
Looks like they give us very powerful outlands and after give us some snacks to eat it. And now need to wait for another year to play nihtmare mode easy mode and standart we gor straight away. Why not got a nightmare too. Since Hon i start to get more and more disappointed

It is pretty easy. Just tried another attempt (#2) with Hobbit Secrecy deck FFG put up (with a few modifications, added in Faramir and the new Denethor to improve questing power). I just quested heavily, did not attack a single enemy, only engaged one because of super low hobbit threat (ended game with 14 threat!). Used Gandalf to put damage on Boss Enemy and just heavy quested with all three Hobbits, Arwen, Faramir, and Denethor for easy victory. I am beginning to like the Hobbits a bit more and think I will explore more combinations with them. The deck FFG posted with the Hobbits which everyone complained about is actually pretty good, but could use a few adjustments to increase questing power since. Hobbits are good for any traditional types of questing, but it would be crushed against Battle questing obviously.

I am just excited for the new cards and quest (it's like Christmas morning comes once every month these days). I hope you can get your new pack soon so you can try out the new Hobbit synergy and encounter deck!

#58 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

Sounds like they tailored this quest for a hobbit themed deck. I'm hopping hobbit decks wii be able to stand up to tough scenarios, and that ffg does not just start to make easy quests so this trait can be successful.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#59 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

im really trying hard not to look at the quest details on this thread, so forgive me if this has been addressed, but are there any picture spoilers about yet of the player cards?

rich

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS