Photo

First game of 4th Revised Edition… Comments and questions which arose.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spectrum

Spectrum

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

So today, my wife and I had our first go at our brand new 4th Revised Edition Talisman and decided to include only the City Expansion and the Warlock quests. Wanted to share with you our experiences of this first 'battle'. We enjoyed it so much more than the 2nd Edition version of Talisman and i must say that the game was interesting all along and ended up in an epic finale battle of the two of us on the Crown of Command space. My wife drew the Elf character and i drew the Conjurer character so i would say there was a balance there. The Elf spent most of the game wandering the outer region of the main board with just a single passing through the City board due to lack of gold, while the Conjurer spent quite a lot of time in the City acquiring a few interesting objects and some followers which proved helpful. The Elf became stronger as time progressed but was lacking in followers and objects while the Conjurer was still weak and wandering the City streets trying to purchase more valuable objects. Soon enough, the Elf felt strong enough to proceed to the inner region to uncover the mystery hidden in the alternative ending. The Conjurer laid helpless as it was impossible to follow not being strong enough even to break through the portal of power. So, as the Elf reached the Crown of Command after losing 2 followers and 1 life at the Vampire's Tower, the end card revealed "JUDGEMENT DAY". The roll of the die decided that nothing happens, so the Elf had to encounter the Crown of Command instead and cast command spells against the Conjurer. It was a game of cat and mouse as the Conjurer head down to the outer region in a desperate attempt to keep close to the Chapel and heal lives as the command spells rained down and at the same time paid a visit to the Alchemist to turn useless objects into gold. The reason was that gold was much needed in order to use the Physician to heal one life per turn, whenever needed. The truth is that the Elf was very unlucky with the command spells as the die seemed to be stuck anywhere below 4 with very few exceptions. Meanwhile, the Conjurer managed quick enough to grow in strength and luckily picked up some very useful objects and followers. The Sword of Truth, the Colossus and the Familiar gave enough confidence and strength to the Conjurer to head to the Portal of Power and face the Elf in one final battle. It took the Conjurer two attempts at the mines to pass through and a loss of two followers at the Vampire's Tower and from there and on it was Conjurer Vs Elf on the Crown of Command. It was Conjurer's strength of 14 against Elf's strength of 13. The first encounter would be the most crucial one because the Elf had a mighty weapon: The Syphoning Sceptre, which allows the winner of a battle to steal a Strength or Craft point from his opponent and add it to his. The Conjurer won the first encounter and took this mighty object from the Elf. The 2nd encounter also ended up in the Conjurer winning and stealing a strength point from the Elf. It was 15 vs 12 now. A third blow from the Conjurer made the gap even bigger at 16 vs 11 and an unlikely victory for the Conjurer was sealed. Needless to say, my wife couldn't believe she lost this game and to be honest i also couldn't believe i won. Lady luck really turned her back on my wife during at least the last 10-15 dice rolls and gave me the edge needed to win. It really felt like a game which was not won by the better player and can't wait for the next game to see what happens :)

Now, for those of you who enjoyed or bared with me through this rather long description of our first game, i'd like to pose some questions which arose during our gameplay. I'm sure most of you experienced players already have the answers to the questions.

1. When you encounter two or more enemies on the same space and one is of physical combat and the other of psychic, what happens when you lose the physical combat which comes first in priority? Do you lose a life and your turn ends right then? Or do you lose a life and continue on to fight the other enemy on psychic combat as well ?

2.  We had a case where the Carnival card (which acts in the same way at the Tavern) was sent to the space where the Idol card (acts in the same way as the Temple) already resided. Now, the priority number for these two cards are the same, so let's say you decide to encounter the Carnival first. What happens if : a) You roll a 1 and get drunk thus losing a turn, b) you roll a 2 and get into a fight with the farmer and happen to lose the fight? Does you turn end there and then thus not allowing you to encounter the Idol card?

3. The Miser Dragon. After defeating him, you may roll a die to see how much gold you get from his treasury. Can you also take him as a trophy? (I say you do, but just wanted to hear it from others as well)

4. You are in the Woods space right beneath the desert and you build a raft using your axe. Does this mean that on your next move you cross the river and proceed to the desert thus losing a life if you don't have some object to protect you? Or do you have the option to cross to the Oasis? (I think i've seen this option being available when i was playing Talisman Prologue).

5. This is not really a question which arose but more of a comment. Pit Fiends in the Inner region don't seem like a really hard obstacle to overcome. A strength of 4 at this point of the game doesn't really seem all that poweful. I understand that the character which faces the pit fiends chose the path of Craft through the mines and maybe, just maybe lacks a bit in strength. In any case, i think the Pit Fiends should have been at least strength 6 or 7.  In general it feels like the path of the Mines, Vampire Tower and Pit Fiends is much easier. With a couple of followers available to ditch at the Vampire's Tower instead of lives and a decent strength of 7-8+ to storm through the pit fiends, it's like a stroll in the park imho. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading.

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Spectrum said:

1. When you encounter two or more enemies on the same space and one is of physical combat and the other of psychic, what happens when you lose the physical combat which comes first in priority? Do you lose a life and your turn ends right then? Or do you lose a life and continue on to fight the other enemy on psychic combat as well ?

You lose 1 life and your turn immediately ends; you do not encounter the other Enemy.

2.  We had a case where the Carnival card (which acts in the same way at the Tavern) was sent to the space where the Idol card (acts in the same way as the Temple) already resided. Now, the priority number for these two cards are the same, so let's say you decide to encounter the Carnival first. What happens if : a) You roll a 1 and get drunk thus losing a turn, b) you roll a 2 and get into a fight with the farmer and happen to lose the fight? Does you turn end there and then thus not allowing you to encounter the Idol card?

a) Your turn immediately ends. This counts as your missed turn because there was another card to be encountered.

b) Your turn immediately ends and you cannot encounter the other card.

3. The Miser Dragon. After defeating him, you may roll a die to see how much gold you get from his treasury. Can you also take him as a trophy? (I say you do, but just wanted to hear it from others as well)

Yes you can take it as a trophy as well as gaining the gold.

4. You are in the Woods space right beneath the desert and you build a raft using your axe. Does this mean that on your next move you cross the river and proceed to the desert thus losing a life if you don't have some object to protect you? Or do you have the option to cross to the Oasis? (I think i've seen this option being available when i was playing Talisman Prologue).

Yes you have the option. You may cross the river to any space directly opposite. Imagine projecting the brown edge lines of the space across into the spaces in the other Region.

Ell.

#3 Spectrum

Spectrum

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thanks so much Ell !

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS