• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

The WH40KRP fansite Dark Reign (yes, it's back) is hosting a design-a-new-xeno-species contest. Check it out: http://darkreign.org/node/1269

#2 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Adeptus-B said:

The WH40KRP fansite Dark Reign (yes, it's back) is hosting a design-a-new-xeno-species contest. Check it out: http://darkreign.org/node/1269

Looks really cool. I will for certain create and entry for this. :)

#3 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

But after some consideration I've decided to drop out. I won't be able to spare the time for the reviewing and thus I won't send something in.

#4 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

But after some consideration I've decided to drop out. I won't be able to spare the time for the reviewing and thus I won't send something in.

That's too bad. For everyone else: the deadline is July 25th, so it's time to kick it into high gear. And even if you don't win, you still end up with a colorful new 'monster' to add to your campaign!

#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Well, the good news is, I won the contest. The bad news is, it was by default- I was the only one to get an entry in by the deadline :blink: ...

Oh well, I'll take my Barnes & Noble giftcards any way I can get 'em. You can check out my entry here:

http://www.darkreign...rgaal-adeptus-b

#6 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

Man, that sucked. :( Very sad to hear there was not enough interest and had I known I would have definitely sent something in. 

#7 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Congratulations again Adeptus-B!

I'm not sure exactly what caused the lack of turn out for this competition - we seemed to have enough interest. I'd like to ask the community here for advice, because I would like to run more contests throughout the year. 

#8 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

And forgive me but I should of course have said: Congratulations to your victory, Adeptus-B. :) You xenos write up looks pretty cool. 

The  write up says that they are designed for Dark Heresy, Deathwatch and Rogue Trader but I imagine that they can work fairly well in Black Crusade as well. My initial reaction is in fact to use them in that regard since I have an idea for a plot where the PC warband would set off to try and get their hands on Yu'vath relics and technology.

#9 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm not sure exactly what caused the lack of turn out for this competition - we seemed to have enough interest. I'd like to ask the community here for advice, because I would like to run more contests throughout the year. 

I think the biggest factor is sheer volume of traffic. Dark Reign has seen a huge fall-off due to it's period of 'technical difficulties' a while back (many people don't even know it's back), and even FFG's Forums had slowed down (everything but shiny new Only War), due to the decrease in support for the other lines. With the announcement of DH 2.0, it looks like traffic is sharply picking up again.

The  write up says that they are designed for Dark Heresy, Deathwatch and Rogue Trader but I imagine that they can work fairly well in Black Crusade as well. My initial reaction is in fact to use them in that regard since I have an idea for a plot where the PC warband would set off to try and get their hands on Yu'vath relics and technology.

I think the main difference would be in terms of Skills; I don't recall off-hand if the Krr'Gaal have any skills that have been consolidated/altered in BC.

-And speaking of Black Crusade Adversaries, what do you guys think of the different styles of write-ups between DH/RT/DW and BC/OW, i.e. the 'old' games err on the side of completeness, listing every skill an NPC has, even though that leads to a lot of numbing repition (Speak Language[Low Gothic...]), while the 'new' games strip down the write-ups to just the essentials, even though that might leave a GM scrambling to fill in some gaps (do Wytches understand low Gothic...?). Personally, I prefer the old-school method; better too much information than not enough, i.m.o...

#10 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

I think the biggest factor is sheer volume of traffic. Dark Reign has seen a huge fall-off due to it's period of 'technical difficulties' a while back (many people don't even know it's back), and even FFG's Forums had slowed down (everything but shiny new Only War), due to the decrease in support for the other lines. With the announcement of DH 2.0, it looks like traffic is sharply picking up again.

I think the main difference would be in terms of Skills; I don't recall off-hand if the Krr'Gaal have any skills that have been consolidated/altered in BC.

-And speaking of Black Crusade Adversaries, what do you guys think of the different styles of write-ups between DH/RT/DW and BC/OW, i.e. the 'old' games err on the side of completeness, listing every skill an NPC has, even though that leads to a lot of numbing repition (Speak Language[Low Gothic...]), while the 'new' games strip down the write-ups to just the essentials, even though that might leave a GM scrambling to fill in some gaps (do Wytches understand low Gothic...?). Personally, I prefer the old-school method; better too much information than not enough, i.m.o...

In regards to skills I can always fix that so its no great problem for me. 

Also I agree that the "complete" write-up school is better than the "minimalistic" as you never know what kind of situations your players will create involving these NPCs!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS