Fearless - Too easy to get?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bladehate

Bladehate

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Considering that Nerves of Steel is obtainable in character generation (Fortress Homeworld), and this is the only requirement for Fearless, is the latter talent too easy to obtain?  With Iron Discipline training Doctrine, just about any of the standard specialties could start with Fearless if they wished for their 600 starting XP.  The Sergeant and the Heavy Gunner could even have 200 starting XP left over after purchasing Fearless.  Does anyone else feel its strange that its possible to have a squad of Fearless guardsmen, accompanied by a comissar who is not likely to pass his fear tests?  (Since Fearless makes Unshakeable Faith useless a comissar planning to get Fearless probably shouldn't pick that particular talent at character creation).  Anyone else find that perhaps Fearless is too accessible?

#2 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:59 AM

Sure, if you meta-game it and go with Siege troopers or similars - it's fairly easy to get.

Players would need to get Jaded as well though, in order to maximize their resilience against insanity. Jaded is way more powerful compared to Fearless as I see it.

#3 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

I love the Fearless Talent, especially if my players take (they never want the Talent again btw). In our gaming group we refer to the Fearless Talent as the Heroic Stupidy Talent. Yes it is all fun if you don't have to make fear tests for those lesser horror but it does not make you immune to gaining those Insanity Points.
Besides it also requires you to make a Willpower Test to disengage your current activities if thing become hairy. So yes to know no fear means you do not know the value of your own life or that of your friends or atleast have a grasp of the danger you are in. I have found out that having fearless character in the group is great fun often hindering the other pc's more than it is helping the pc with the talent.

#4 Melil13

Melil13

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Well if the entire group is fearless except the commissar or a sgt you could command  them to retreat.

Honestly i would rather stack bonuses vs Fear … so Resist Fear + Radiant Precense off our Commissar and Sgt  for a +30 for the squad +20 for the commanders. (Not 100% sure they stack).

Then take Into the Jaws of Hell … to make our comrades not useless :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or take the option like the Death Kriege that dosnt allow fear to modify their WP checks. Stack that with these talents for some fun.

#5 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

I love the Fearless Talent, especially if my players take (they never want the Talent again btw). In our gaming group we refer to the Fearless Talent as the Heroic Stupidy Talent. Yes it is all fun if you don't have to make fear tests for those lesser horror but it does not make you immune to gaining those Insanity Points.
Besides it also requires you to make a Willpower Test to disengage your current activities if thing become hairy. So yes to know no fear means you do not know the value of your own life or that of your friends or atleast have a grasp of the danger you are in. I have found out that having fearless character in the group is great fun often hindering the other pc's more than it is helping the pc with the talent.

Well, you become much less likely to gain insanity points, as one of the most common sources is failed fear checks... which with daemons and stuff also gain you corruption, so it actually protects a bit against those as well.

Yes, it is regarded by many as a very double-edged talent, as it should be, but it was originally intended as a very high end talent. Many daemons (at least originally) were actually not that scary if it was a straight up fight (they were tough, but not hideously so, at least for characters with high end gear and quite a bit of experience... like most characters with Fearless would be in Dark heresy). The problem  was that you could find your entire party incapacitated due to failed fear checks, leaving yourself to be slaughtered with no recourse. Fearless gave you a way round this (as well as serverely reducing the number of insanity points and corruption points you might get... though a decent Dark Heresy character should already have quite a few by that point). In certain situations it certainly could get you in to trouble, but part of the point was 1) your characters were meant to be slightly unhinged at thi spoint and 2) with the experience of the characters, only really nasty things would be real deadly threats you would normally want to just run away from.

With the move away from experience trees, this has caused a bit of a problem. Fearless is meant to be a high end talent. Now it is fairly widely available.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS