• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Aazlain

Aazlain

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi 

I'm working on a homemade character sheet. The official one is really nice but I fell it's missing some elements (Citical Injuries, Encumbrance, etc) and some other elements feel brushed over (Equipment Log).

I've tried roughly grouping all non-combat information one the front, while moving combat related information on the back as to avoid flipping sides during an encounter. I'm not 100% set on this leayout.

Feel free to point out mistakes or share your suggestions. (This is a first draft I haven't put in the eye candy yet)

If somebody has already come up with a better one, feel free to share the link. That'll save me the effort.

Most recent version :

Here is the form fillable version. Thank you Kallabecca for your hard work.

Older versions :

• v4 - 2013-07-02 - https://dl.dropboxus...et_Draft_v4.pdf

preview.png

Edited by Aazlain, 08 July 2013 - 02:35 PM.

• Darth Hideous likes this

Homemade character sheet (v4) (One side for social interaction and one side for physical conflict - Work in progress)
EotE Symbols Font (Unofficial) and Character map

#2 thorn-124

thorn-124

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

hello there. when will you do up a draft version of the starship sheet?

#3 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

I like it, not too busy, neat and clean. My only two thoughts are:

1) Raise the Character and Character Description headers a bit , and make more room for either Special Ability/Specialization Trees, and Other (under notable features) respectively. I would almost try to line them up with the top of the SW:EotE logo.

2) Maybe combine "Other" and "Notable Features" as they seem to fit together, this will open up more room to note quirks, scars, etc. I like a good amount of space personally because I like a good one or two sentence descrition of my characters.

3) Is there a way to center the logo in it's frame? Might make better use of the space.

Anyhoo, I can't speak for it in play yet, but I like a good simple character sheet Plus shades of gray on white, with small splashes of red is a really nice color combo. Nice work!

"Over the line!"

#4 TalkingMuffin

TalkingMuffin

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Looks great! I love when fans with the time and talent to make such wonderful things, do. Thank you! :D

#5 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

That sheet is 99% awesome. I used to set type for a living though, and I see things that drive me buggy. From the top:

Logo: wants to be bigger (15%?) and center justified in its column.

Text (in general): Looks a tiny, tiny bit crowded (especially inside the tables). I would open the kerning a bit (again, mostly on the text on the inside of the tables).

Table headers (and column headers  - all the stuff with the light gray backgrounds): Blending into the background a little. Could probably just up the font point size a bit, to make them stand out a little more.

"Obligations" tables: Topmost table should be brought up so that the "Type" column is flush with the "Notable features" column.

Category headers (the stuff in the dark gray lozenges): Again, getting a little lost. I would screen the gray back a little myself (do like 50% gray instead of 75%).

"Cunning" (characteristics): Should be ALL CAPS, to match the other characteristics.

#6 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think you could probably get away with not putting the Characteristic bubbles on both sides.  You also might want to consider a few spots for custom skills, like Lightsaber fighting or martial arts or custom knowledges.

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

#7 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Endrik Tenebris said:

I think you could probably get away with not putting the Characteristic bubbles on both sides.  You also might want to consider a few spots for custom skills, like Lightsaber fighting or martial arts or custom knowledges.

Great point, consideration for the home brew community is always a good touch. :)

"Over the line!"

#8 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well, I can't take all the credit.  They kept spots for custom skills on the actual character sheet example in the Beta rule book XD.  

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

#9 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Aazlain said:

Hi

I'm working on a homemade character sheet. The official one is really nice but I fell it's missing some elements (Citical Injuries, Encumbrance, etc) and some other elements feel brushed over (Equipment Log).

I've tried roughly grouping all non-combat information one the front, while moving combat related information on the back as to avoid flipping sides during an encounter. I'm not 100% set on this leayout.

Feel free to point out mistakes or share your suggestions. (This is a first draft I haven't put in the eye candy yet)

If somebody has already come up with a better one, feel free to share the link. That'll save me the effort.

https://dl.dropboxus...Sheet_Draft.pdf

Looks great!!  My 2 cents would be to have a column in the "talents and special abilities"" section for entering which skilsl/characteristics it would affect, for easy access.

#10 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Though I would also say that you may want to hold out before editing it too much.  With the core rules coming out in less than two weeks at this point, the official sheet that they will undoubtedly design might replace yours :(.  I would wait until you see what it looks like, then decide if you want to make a different redesign because you don't like how they set theirs up.  Many people make alternative sheets for RPGs that can become more popular than the baseline ones, but to do that, you might want to wait and see what the official one looks like first.

#11 Dublindawg

Dublindawg

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

This looks really good, the only thing I would love to see is to have this in a fillable format.  This way a person can type all the key information in and then print it off.  Makes it easy to read for those of us with messy hand writing.

#12 Aazlain

Aazlain

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll compile the suggestions and integrate as much as possible. 

Should I stick to the original concept of splitting social and combat action on two different sides of the sheet? Is it convenient to have combat characteristics, skills, talents, weapon and armor on the same page or should I go back to a more traditional approach and gather all the skills on the first page?

As for waiting for core rulebook release, I was under the impression that the charater sheet available on the website was the official and final one.

Homemade character sheet (v4) (One side for social interaction and one side for physical conflict - Work in progress)

#13 Masque

Masque

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

A thing that seems to be missing from every character sheet I've seen is a way to track where you got your talents from.  For ranked talents you need to know exactly where you got them from which specialization trees to be able to know which talents you have access to when spending experience.  For beginning characters this isn't an issue but it seems like once characters have earned a few hundred XP and have branched out into multiple specializations you need a way to track it.

#14 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Oh.  My bad!  I didn't even know that they had posted that!  Ignore that last comment entirely, then!

And as for the specialization trees, I am actually going to encourage my players to scan and print out the different trees straight from the book so they can keep track just by marking it on the actual sheet.  I think that's probably the easiest way to do it!

#15 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I thought of another thing that you can do.  On the encumberance threshold spot, you might consider seperating it into two sections.  One for the threshold and one for their currend encumberance value.

#16 Crimson_red

Crimson_red

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Masque said:

A thing that seems to be missing from every character sheet I've seen is a way to track where you got your talents from.  For ranked talents you need to know exactly where you got them from which specialization trees to be able to know which talents you have access to when spending experience.  For beginning characters this isn't an issue but it seems like once characters have earned a few hundred XP and have branched out into multiple specializations you need a way to track it.

Though not really the same thing, I got the impression that the talent tree diagrams were designed with the idea of printing or copying them and checking off those talents you select, as you buy them, giving you a record of the sources of you talents and brief summary of each. Admittedly an inefficient use of paper and such, but it is a potential method of tracking talents.

#17 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Crimson_red said:

Masque said:

Though not really the same thing, I got the impression that the talent tree diagrams were designed with the idea of printing or copying them and checking off those talents you select, as you buy them, giving you a record of the sources of you talents and brief summary of each. Admittedly an inefficient use of paper and such, but it is a potential method of tracking talents.

i do this for all my characters. Copy the talent trees, append them to character sheets. Very useful, and I assumed that's why they put "permission is granted to copy for individual use" on each of the talent trees, and the Force Power trees. And they have little checkbox type things on them as well.

#18 Aazlain

Aazlain

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Here is version 2.

I'll also add a link to my signature for further updates.

I've included most of your suggestions : 

Mark It Zero
- Raise the Character and Character Description headers a bit  [Done]
- More room for either Special Ability/Specialization Trees, and Other  [Made more room for special ability]
- Maybe combine "Other" and "Notable Features" as they seem to fit together  [Done]
- Center the logo in it's frame  [Done]

Jshock
- Logo: wants to be bigger (15%?) and center justified in its column.  [Done]
- I would open the kerning a bit (mostly on the text on the inside of the tables).  [Increased tracking of font in tables]
- Table headers (and column headers)… Make them stand out a little more  [Increased font side and tracking, darker color]
- Category headers (the stuff in the dark gray lozenges): Again, getting a little lost.  [Increased font style]
- Cunning" (characteristics): Should be ALL CAPS  [Done]

Endrik Tenebris
- I think you could probably get away with not putting the Characteristic bubbles on both sides. [Shrunk the characteristics block on page 2]  [Done]
- You also might want to consider a few spots for custom skills  [Done]
- You might consider separating encumbrance threshold into current encumbrance and max encumbrance.  [Almost done]

Kager
- have a column in the "talents and special abilities"" section for entering which skilsl/characteristics it would affect [Didn't do. Most talents are not tied to a single skill. Can be included in the summary column]

Dublindawg
- Have this in a fillable format  [A must but i don't have the java skills to make everything work. I have someone in mind though. Coming soon]

Me
- Separated defense into Melee and Ranged
- Added Assets and Resources box
- Added Activation and Ranked columns to talents section

#19 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Very nice! That is a dead sexy character sheet!

As for everyone's concern over the Talent Trees, here's hoping they can put up a printer friendly PDF copy of each at launch to facilitate this, if not I wonder if they would mind someone making some up. Permission to copy gives me the impression that they wouldn't mind at all. Provided it was a free download of course.

"Over the line!"

#20 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Wow awesome!  This version already looks way sharper and cleaner than the last one.  Love it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS