Why won't FF print cards

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Decker1613

Decker1613

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

So why is it that FF puts out some amazing games but they won't keep them going. For example, I am starting to get into LOTR and would love to start from the begging but I can't get the first set of cards, for 20 bucks. I found them on line for 80 bucks. Why won't you guys support the game? Why should a new player pick up the core set and then be told they have to start from the latest set to get into it? I find this not only happens with LOTR but all of the LCG's that FF puts out. Why is it this way, I love playing these games, the reason being is because they are not like Magic the Gathering where you do have to spend 1000's of bucks to make a deck. I came to these games just because of that and that is how I sell it to my friends. Buy the LCG's it is way better then MTG do to the fact you don't need 500 bucks to have a good deck and with a LCG everyone is on a equal playing field. That is what I tell people when getting into it. But now I and others are seeing that FF is going the way of MTG. Don't print and let the cards be so freaking expensive and then those that own those cards will rule the playing fields. Please FF keep up with the game, I would love to get the Mirkwood set with out having to give up my first born to do so. I also would love to see the other LCG's up to date to. I know it is more then likely a buisness decision to do this, and if this is so then let people know when they buy the core set that you are now entering a game where you are so behind the curve you will never be able to catch up because we will not make those sets anymore. I hope this is not true and I hope it's because of how much it cost to get these things out. I know also that more then likely there is going to be some people that will repost on this and say owell your loss. But I ask you to get into my shoes for a moment and see if it would upset you when you just spent 40 bucks on a game that you can't get the expansion for and you really love the game, is that fare? My rant, and I hope that FF will see this and I hope that they can figure a way to reprint those cards, because I really would love to have them so I can experiance that story. Any way that is my rant, and I say to all of you, Keep the smile on. :)

#2 whoniversereview

whoniversereview

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'm right with you. I bought LotR: LCG not too long ago, and played it over and over. The only expansions thare are even available from my FLGS are the bigger ones (The Hobbit Over Hill and Under Hill, Khazad-Dum, etc), and the store owner said most of the past released expansions aren't even available any longer unless you're willing to pay $80+. The reason that MtG still survives after so many cards are hard to find is due to the fact that they only quit printing cards for an expansion when a new set comes out, and they print TONS. The local store owner told me that when Hunt For Gollum came out, they got 2 shipments, and the expansion was super popular, and then all of a sudden, it was unavailable and has been ever since.

All in all, I really like the game, but I don't know if I'll be buying any other LCGs if this is how it's going to be. I'll just stick with MtG and one-purchase games like Elder Sign. If Fantasy Flight won't put forth the effort to make the game enjoyable for late-gamers and people that don't just go for the shiniest object in the room, I'm not going to put the effort into giving them much of my money. Heck, over the past 10 years, only a handful of Munchkin expansions have been discontinued, and they're still pretty easy to find. Not only that, but Steve Jackson Games prints so many, you'll never be left empty-handed.

The problem is that their newest baby, Android Netrunner, is taking all of their attention. What if Wizards of the Coast were to slowly make every game their red-headed step child each time a new game came out?

#3 flatsco

flatsco

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

It looks like the entire "Shadows of Mirkwood" cycle is scheduled to be reprinted in August of this year. Yay!

#4 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yea, they have limited printing capacity so they only print things for a while and then stop. Then they do reprints at some point.

#5 Winzzy

Winzzy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I would love for them to release it all in one package... the full mirkwood cycle in one box would be legit.

#6 TXCanuck

TXCanuck

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I recently got into th game as well but I was able to go on ebay and get each adventure pack for $12-14 apiece.  The Khazad-dum and Heirs of Numenor expansions are about $25 or so as well.

That seems in line with the original MSRP.  I am now have everything except for the "On the Doorstep" saga expansion for the Hobbit.

The product does still seem to be available at a reasonable cost.

#7 Aladdynsane

Aladdynsane

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've only recently gotten into the game. I bought my Core set from my area's (only, now defunct) FLGS. Bought The Black Riders and part of Against the Shadow from a brick and mortar, but otherwise I've had to buy everything online.

My birthday was last week and I bought VOI from Amazon. While I was on the site, I bought the first three Shadows of Mirkwood AP's for what looks to me like the same price I'd have paid when they came out. Haven't seen Amazon mentioned in the posts above, but everything I've tried to purchase there to this point has been at a reasonable price.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS