Lurker Blood/Soul Pact Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Cartwright

Thomas Cartwright

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

We're going to play our first game with Lurker at the Threshold soon and I'm not clear on how the Blood and Soul pacts work. Specifically, the text:

"You may spend a Power token as either a Clue Token or as 1 Stamina/Sanity when you suffer a Stamina/Sanity loss."

First of all, I assume you can spend a power token as a clue token at any time, not just in response to a stamina or sanity loss. Is this correct? The way it's phrased, it could be that you spend the power token to add additional dice to a failed skill check that causes a loss.

Second, for the Stamina/Sanity use of a power token, is this healing stamina/sanity after a loss or does the power token prevent the loss in the first place, like Harvey Walters and Michael McGlen's abilities? This makes a big difference when your investigator is at one sanity and stands to go insane if she loses a single sanity.

Finally, regarding the Herald's "Rites of Magick" power: "…he reduces the Sanity cost of the Spell to 0 and automatically passes the Spell check," for spells where the number of successes is important (e.g. Heal) do we just assume one success when invoking Rites of Magick, or does something else happen?

Thanks

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,476 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thomas Cartwright said:

"You may spend a Power token as either a Clue Token or as 1 Stamina/Sanity when you suffer a Stamina/Sanity loss."

First of all, I assume you can spend a power token as a clue token at any time, not just in response to a stamina or sanity loss. Is this correct? The way it's phrased, it could be that you spend the power token to add additional dice to a failed skill check that causes a loss.

Aye, that's correct, Power tokens can be spent instead of clues whenever you are allowed to spend Clue tokens

Thomas Cartwright said:

Second, for the Stamina/Sanity use of a power token, is this healing stamina/sanity after a loss or does the power token prevent the loss in the first place, like Harvey Walters and Michael McGlen's abilities? This makes a big difference when your investigator is at one sanity and stands to go insane if she loses a single sanity.

You discard the Power token to prevent the loss, so, yes, a 1 San character can spend Power to avoid losing Sanity and consequently not going Insane

Thomas Cartwright said:

Finally, regarding the Herald's "Rites of Magick" power: "…he reduces the Sanity cost of the Spell to 0 and automatically passes the Spell check," for spells where the number of successes is important (e.g. Heal) do we just assume one success when invoking Rites of Magick, or does something else happen?

The Lurker grants you the minimum number of successes to cast succesfully the spell. For instance, you score one success for Fist of Yog-Sothoth, but if you use Bind Monster against a 3-toughness monster, the Lurker grants you the three successes required to pass the Combat check

Hope this helps

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Power tokens to avoid Stamina and Sanity loss…somehow, I've missed that when I read through the material on this Herald…thanks, as always, Julia!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,476 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

The Professor said:

Power tokens to avoid Stamina and Sanity loss…somehow, I've missed that when I read through the material on this Herald…thanks, as always, Julia!

:wink:

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

If I have an Investigator named Julia, you will definitely gain 1Clue token for every successful use of either a Tome or casting a Spell.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#6 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I think Investigator Julia sides with the Ancient One, more likely…

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,476 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Wolfgar said:

I think Investigator Julia sides with the Ancient One, more likely…

I guess I'll be sitting at the border, just cheerleading for investigators who like to play it hard… :-P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS