Bio Titans, Vehicles, and Heavy Weapons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zylosan

zylosan

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

It seems to me that your typical Heavy Xeno form (i.e. having several levels of unnatural toughness) has far more durabilitiy against your typical heavy weapon than due heavy vehicals, due to the fact that most heavy weapons rely on a high penetration to negate armor. Which is all well and good but bio-titans rely on their toughness to negate damage rather than a high armor (I think the highest a tyranid has is 12, with a TB of 21 or so). It does not seem to make much sense to me that a living creature would be more resistant to a Las-Cannon than a main battle tank. Plus most vehicals have far fewer wounds than do a bio-titan.  The felling (X) quality helps but its very rare on published weapons. 

Thoughts and suggestions?

#2 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Logically, you are right: something made from tempered steel (never mind 'ceremite' and 'adamantium') should be harder to 'kill' than something of comparable mass made from meat (I was really irritated with the scene in the movie Cloverfield where the monster is not even scratched by a direct hit from multiple Bunker Buster bombs!). The thing is, story-wise, realism in this instance would result in boring missions. "Monsterous Creatures' (to use the Tabletop term) are usually the principle adversaries in Deathwatch, while tanks are usually just obstacles to be overcome on the way to the primary objective. That's why Monsterous Creatures are harder to kill than tanks in Deathwatch (and in the Tabletop game, for that matter): who would enjoy playing a mission where the Killteam just has to get line-of-sight between their Lascannon and the Bossmonster and it's automatically 'game over'? That's my 2 cents…

#3 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

Penetration ignores Toughness Bonus as well….

#4 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

AlphariusOmegon7 said:

No, it doesn't. Where are you getting that from?

#5 Capt_Dymock

Capt_Dymock

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

AlphariusOmegon7 said:

It really, really doesn't. If pen ignored toughness then Melta would be the ultimate weapon against everything. Certain things, like Felling, can lower or ignore Toughness Bonus, but standard Pen does not affect Toughness at all.

#6 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Capt_Dymock said:

AlphariusOmegon7 said:

It really, really doesn't. If pen ignored toughness then Melta would be the ultimate weapon against everything. Certain things, like Felling, can lower or ignore Toughness Bonus, but standard Pen does not affect Toughness at all.

Just nitpicking but have to make small correction.

Felling affects only Unnatural Toughness bonus not normal Toughness bonus.

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#7 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Well you're assertion is incorrect from the beginning. You're imagining that a bio-titan is just some creature that happens to be very large when they are in fact bio-engineered war-machines.

You are playing a character that's a got ceramic bones and armoured skin so would a tyranid creature be as squishy as an elephant?

Think of them as more like bio-engineered robots with hyper complicated grow-able bodies and bio ceramic armor, regenerating armour that makes your vehicles laminated armor seem laughably archaic. And your vehicles with it's squishy drivers and vulnerable fuel and armour systems are an incredible weakpoint that compared to a Bio-titans vast organic system that has numerous back up systems stable bio-fuel and ammunition that is entirely inert or at least harmless to the organism) until it needs to be fired.

In short It's a Bio titan it should be amazingly tough if it's facing off against other titans, the method of construction is fairly irrelevant if it's being made specifically for war from the ground up.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS