So… fellow Guardsmen… I'm in trouble and desperately need some help!
Today, we had the "adventure briefing" for our newest Squad and after cleaning up some basic stuff, our GM suddenly got out an all-new Tome of Fate book from his bag. We were like "Wow! We will fight Tzeentch stuff!"… He just smiled… And opened up the book at the Necron section D: !
As it turned out, we will fight against the friggin' Necrons, and our GM is going to use the Reanimation Protocol rule, because he thinks that it is pretty cool. Problem is, that we - the players - only fought Necrons, like, twice, and they were short engagements where we had combat-focused Astartes characters to bear the brunt of the fight. And we only fought against a few Warriros and Scarabs, so our experience about how to deal with the Necrons is rather… lackluster (so to say).
Sooooo… Do any of you have some good advice/experience about fighting Necrons as an average human? What weapons should we use? Does stuff like armour (both worn and vehicle) make any difference against Gauss/Tesla/Particle weapons? Should we rely on ranged combat or melee?
Currently, we have the following:
- Everyone has 5000 starting XP. Starting characteristics are decent (mostly around 32-33).
- The Squad has three Storm Troopers, a Medic and a Psyker. No Comrades for anyone.
- The Psyker can use his powers safely because of special equipment. So what discipline(s) should he use? Pyromancy? Telekinesis?
- We have a huge access to various high-tech equipment like Lance Blasters, Holographic Disruptors (essentially the invisibility devices from Ghost Recon: Future Soldier) and Plasma Grenades.
- Every character has 0 (zero, nill) Fate Points. Talents that work via Fate Points can be used freely (some are limited to once per session), any time.
- Our main task will be supporting other IG formations with our shiny toys. So we will mostly fight in crucial engagements of a larger battle.
- The Necrons will muster everything they've got. Our main opponents are going to be Warriors and Immortals with some Destroyer and Wraith support.
I guess that's all. Any help is deeply appreciated!