Vehicles with Cameleoline question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

I was making a Mechanised Infantry unit and considering taking Cameleoline. The troops would obviously benefit from taking Cameleoline Cloaks, but would it be reasonable for the Chimeras to come equipped with either Cameleoline-coatings or to have Cameleoline Tarpaulins (from Deathwatch) to conceal them when they wish to set up ambushes? Armoured vehicles in the Imperial Guard are often camouflaged, and this would just be a greater effort on that part.

A similar effort could be taken to apply Cameleoline to Sentinels in Reconnaissance (or Heavy Recon) groups if it can remain in place. Cameleoline Tarpaulins for Artillery Regiments (especially Anti-Aircraft ones) might be of great use too.

So, reasonable?

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#2 Magpie Stoner

Magpie Stoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:15 AM

HappyDaze said:

I was making a Mechanised Infantry unit and considering taking Cameleoline. The troops would obviously benefit from taking Cameleoline Cloaks, but would it be reasonable for the Chimeras to come equipped with either Cameleoline-coatings or to have Cameloline Tarpaulins (from Deathwatch) to conceal them when they wish to set up ambushes? Armoured vehicles in the Imperial Guard are often camouflaged, and this would just be a greater effort on that part.

A similar effort could be taken to apply Cameleoline to Sentinels in Reconnaissance (or Heavy Recon) groups if it can remain in place. Cameleoline Tarpaulins for Artillery Regiments (especially Anti-Aircraft ones) might be of great use too.

So, reasonable?

Yeah, camo netting is listed in the HOTE with the Vanguard doctrind, I see no reason not to just say that's a camo cloak for the vehicle buit I would argue they would only receive the benefits when not moving or not firing weapons… Vehicles are too large to effectively utilize camo on the move, and heavy weapons are too loud and and muzzle flashes too large for Camo to take effect, but those would work perfectly as an anti-air deterrent, bonus to stealth so plans would't see them which would mean an armored column would have to halt and -20 to Ballistic Skill to attacks against them while stationary… I'm not really familiar with the the Deathwatch version unfortunately.

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm not really using the Deathwatch rules for anything, just pointing out that Deathwatch has such an item listed.

I also note that, IRL, there exists camo netting that can stay in place while the vehicle is in motion (not that it's effective while the vehicle is in motion), and I'd imagine cameleoline netting of a similar type (but obviously more effective than the RL stuff d/t the active shifting of images).

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#4 Magpie Stoner

Magpie Stoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

HappyDaze said:

I'm not really using the Deathwatch rules for anything, just pointing out that Deathwatch has such an item listed.

I also note that, IRL, there exists camo netting that can stay in place while the vehicle is in motion (not that it's effective while the vehicle is in motion), and I'd imagine cameleoline netting of a similar type (but obviously more effective than the RL stuff d/t the active shifting of images).

Exactly what I was thinking.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS