order in which to get the expansions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blackshirt

blackshirt

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

Just curious if anyone has any specific recommendations to get the expansions. I was just thinking on getting them in the order they were released. Although I have read that they revised the Dark Pharaoh which I believe to have been the first. Regardless I am thinking I will start with an expansion that just adds cards and new mechanics no board. So yeah any insight or advice would be appreciated!

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Getting them in the order they were released is certainly a good thing. You'll experience in this way something similar to what happened to many Arkham die-harders, and in some way maybe this is the best way to enjoy the ride.

Anyway, as you could imagine, this question was already asked countless times, so, if you want detailed answers, it's better if you use the search function of the forum with keywords "order expansions", I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of answers.

Finally, my suggestion is:

a) Dunwich: most of the components are the perfect complement for the base game, and a larger board forces you to understand properly how to deal with the Mythos; plus, Injuries and Madnesses, really necessary to completely enjoy the Arkham experience

b) Kingsport: the definitive second expansion boards. No unstable locations, but a great new mechanics (rift), and tons of items, monster, Ancient Ones, Heralds and so on; all aspects of the game are enhanced (but having no unstable location this is not a good "first board expansion")

c) Innsmouth: the most difficult, brutal, nasty, evil board ever. But for tons of technical reasons, it's not a good "first board expansion" (not to mention that noobs will be butchered by the difficulty of the game if they start from here)

d) Miskatonic

and finally, add the small ones.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Big fan of Dunwich Horror for the 1st Big Box Expansion and the King in Yellow for the 1st Small Box Expansion.  Once you've enjoyed these for awhile, bring-in Curse of the Dark Pharoah, Kingsport, Innsmouth, and MiskatonicBlack Goat of the Woods is cool and very thematic, but painful to try to introduce as it's quite affected by dilution.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Jayven

Jayven

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I have a list at home (at work at present) of the order I worked out I wanted them based on rules implemented. I can't find the exact site article I found it in (someone rated each aspect out of 5, very good article if I could find it >.>).

Anyway, at present I own just Dunwich, Lurker, and Black Goat but plan on more when finances allow.

The article I did find though is here.

That article isn't too long but goes into the big box expansions and the features of each as well as doing a numbered list of a suggested order and the reasons of what they each bring to the table in each.

I agree with the list but I can easily get the small expansions over bigs, so generally I get the big ones first if I can afford it. My next I believe was going to be Miskatonic to enhance what I have and prepare me for the rest I buy, otherwise I agree with that list :)

Edited by Jayven, 03 July 2013 - 03:24 AM.

"You are amusing in a 'what the hell is wrong with you' kind of way." - Jaheira, Baldur's Gate Series

Tabletop Gaming Collection @ Board Game Geek / Roleplaying Game Collection @ RPG Geek

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS