Photo

What do yuo like to spend your monster trophies on?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Personally I think we mostly spend ours firstly for Deputy of Arkham and then mostly to get Blessed, with the occasional Clue token. What tends to get preference in your game?

#2 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

A seal 6 gate-diver Blessing is a pretty standard tactic. It's the only real way you can help them see out the game from afar. Other than that, Allies are pretty popular, especially Professor Rice to get back all those clues!

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

I tend not to spend trophies during the game, so that, in case of need, I can Bless the Cursed, gain clues when the board has dried up, invest on Allies to sacrifice in Rumors, and so on.  Sometimes I shop to have characters passing their PS (the double Blessing when Mary is play, or William's Blessing) or to help them passing particularly difficult situations (a Dhole in town, or a -4 Gate with Yog as AO requires a Blessing; rumors demanding clues require a visit to the Science Building and so on). I almost never shop for the Deputy, unless I have a 3-speed party or Tommy is in the mix.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

We used to spend it on deputy and blessings as well. Nowadays, we find that we barely have time stop at the Church/etc., because shopping/clues/gates keeps us busy. Still, the most popular choice would be allies (Doom track almost full, let's get Mr. Bain!) or blessing the character most needing it. We also managed to close off Azatoth at 13 doomer thanks to a powerful combo of the White Ship, Find Gate and Gate Box. I wish I could try Changed one day… 

Then there's the added incentive off gathering victory points.

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Most times, it's off to South Church for a Blessing.  As I play with Nodens, I'm not as concerned about spending trophies at the Science Building for Clue tokens

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

The Professor said:

Most times, it's off to South Church for a Blessing.  As I play with Nodens, I'm not as concerned about spending trophies at the Science Building for Clue tokens

You mean "as I play with Hypnos", or? :perplexed:

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#7 blackshirt

blackshirt

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

Since if you run out of gate tokens the GOO(Great Old One?) awakens I usually spend my gate tokens and only use my monster trophies if I run out. Usually being spent on becoming the deputy and/or blessings.

#8 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

I try to hold on to my gate trophies on the off chance we can get a win by close. I don't think we've really ever been in danger of running out of gates.

#9 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Julia,

I have no idea why I typed Nodens…other than that it was very late, after a very long week. hahaha!  Yes, Hypnos!

The Professor

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

The Professor said:

Julia,

I have no idea why I typed Nodens…other than that it was very late, after a very long week. hahaha!  Yes, Hypnos!

:laughter: ok, now it has sense :-)

and Joe, I've seen the update. If FFG server is not nuts, I'll try to send you a PM

#11 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Excellent!  I'm glad you got the Update…soon the stuff to bring magic to your table!

The Professor

#12 HorrorfromBuffalo

HorrorfromBuffalo

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

Monster trophies I try, if the game is nice to me, to use on Blessings or combined with a gate trophy to become the deputy. I like to try for things like Captain of the White Ship or Coded Messages, but most times the game is right on the edge from complete chaos, so I go to the Science Building for those clue tokens.

Right now, I have an idea to try and make it necessary (or at least more helpful) to get Coded Messages by using Tsathoggua as the Ancient One and chosing a character that has 3 clue tokens who would hopefully get the first double clue token, jump into the first gate and hopefully killing an easy monster on their way.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble organizing my friends together to play. Hopefully soon.

#13 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

With nearly 100 games played and about half that many with the expansions, I have yet to see Coded Messages once in my game.

The Professor

#14 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Usually because Coded Messages needs a rare encounter to come into play, and hoping on rare encounters is a sucker bet.

#15 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, agreed. I drew that encounter twice in my Arkham life, and on one occasion I was playing with Patrice, on the other one I didn't have the trophies, so… ugh. Generally speaking, there are some things that never enters play. Never had the White Ship, nor the Great Seal, Beloved of Bast and most of Dunwich condition cards

#16 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I don't see how anyone ever gets Beloved of Bast, especially if they play with multiple expansions and have a 200+ card Mythos deck. The odds are ridiculous.

At least the White Ship and the Great Seal are possible. I can see not wanting to make the hike to Kingsport for them, but they aren't too bad.

As for the Dunwich COnditions…sadly, most of them don't seem worth it. It's usually a rare encounter and then a fairly high cost for a dubious benefit.  Coded Messages would be nice though. In our first game, we made the mistake of believing Clue tokens were tradable, and the difference is quite noticable. Still both getting the right card (at best 1/14, at worst 1/39)  and having the spare trophies at the same time is kind of chancey.

#17 HorrorfromBuffalo

HorrorfromBuffalo

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Yeah, trying to get Coded Messages is a stupid risk, but it'll make for a different game experience. I cheated too and read the requirements on how to get it beforehand so I can develop a strategy to unlock it. Using just Dunwich and the Main game, I believe it is a 1 out of 14 chance of drawing the encounter card. Yikes!

Maybe I am a little too excited because one of the last times I played, one of my characters drew the Necronomicon as a starting weapon and then his first encounter at the library unlocked the Rare Book Room! Of course, I only had one chance to use the Rare Book Room but I think the game will always stand out in my mind because I did something that rarely occurs.

As I've seen people write on these boards before, it is not whether you win or lose, but it is the journey!

I'll post my results if I ever can get my friends together for a game. Also, I finished my short story (more like novella as it clocked in at 40 pages single-spaced) about my last game of Arkham Horror. I am going to do some editing, but after that I may post a sample on these boards. It was a really fun game against Shudde M'ell which turn into a rewarding although repetitive at times story.

#18 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Wolfgar said:

I don't see how anyone ever gets Beloved of Bast, especially if they play with multiple expansions and have a 200+ card Mythos deck. The odds are ridiculous.

At least the White Ship and the Great Seal are possible. I can see not wanting to make the hike to Kingsport for them, but they aren't too bad.

It happened to me once, soon after KH was released (playing with all expansions at that date). It has never happened since (and I play a lot when I can) but it came very close to happening once. I had the Foolishness ally.

But when it happened….oh mama, that was sweet! Turned that game around in a flash.

White Ship I have been on once and it did not help much. Great Seal has never happened because of the hard going trip and the  high cost which you can only pay late game most of the time.  Conditions I have never seen at all, not once! Although I have had the chance to put them in play and could not. And since I dont spoil unplayed cards, I still dont know how they affect play.

My trophies usually go on vital clues, then either on Blessings or a Deputy for the Wagon, depending on the state of things. Allies are rarely obtained from Mas - I tend to burn clues finding them at encounters.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS