Photo

Does anyone play A-Wings? whats the best squad you have that uses at least one A-Wing?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

You don't have to use push the limit immediately. You activate, take one action. Then, when it's lando's turn - he gives you action #2 - that action triggers push the limit, giving you action 3.

• Tusken Raider likes this

#22 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thx Ravncat and thx Rekkon, that trick slipped me by. I had just assumed once that ships turn had passed then I had lost the chance of an actions of my own volition. I see now it is during a round. nice

I will now be looking for other ways to abuse this.

Thx again

#23 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

Like others, my favourite only uses one A-Wing... Tycho of course.

===================
Tycho And 3 Rookies
===================

100 points

Pilots
------

Tycho Celchu (37)
A-Wing (26), Homing Missiles (5), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Tweak: http://x-wing.voidst...o-and-3-rookies

---

The Rookies fly in formation, concentrating fire. Tycho zooms around madly like an angry gnat.

Optionally, remove the Stealth Device and give each X-Wing an R". That way when they Koiogram, they can immediately bank to get a good facing and 2 will lose the stress.

Edited by voidstate, 03 July 2013 - 03:57 AM.

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 100,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#24 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

For pure fun, I'd instead play this:

=========================
Three A-Wings, One X-Wing
=========================

100 points

Pilots
------

Green Squadron Pilot (27)
A-Wing (19), Homing Missiles (5), Push the Limit (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (26)
A-Wing (19), Concussion Missiles (4), Push the Limit (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (26)
A-Wing (19), Concussion Missiles (4), Push the Limit (3)

Rookie Pilot (21)

------

View: http://x-wing.voidst...ings-one-x-wing
Tweak: http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build/8779

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 100,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#25 Tusken Raider

Tusken Raider

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

For the UK Nationals, I decided to develop a 4 A-wing squad. It went through 31 differing permutations, all of which I've written up at http://www.boardgame...-development-of

The long and short of it is that if you're going for a 4 A-wing squad, the best squad I have found is the one I ended up calling The Breakneck Boys:

GSP + PtL + Concussion Missile

GSP + PtL

If you're only using one A-wing, it's got to be Tycho. He is an absolute monster. My record number of stress tokens with him in a one-hour game is 12: http://www.boardgame...s-this-a-record

• voidstate likes this

#26 Zoccola

Zoccola

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

A list that I have been using recently:

3x Rookie Pilot + R2

2x Prototype Pilot

I love the manueverability of the Awings, but I dislike their lack of omph. I find they are the best used mopping up something that was softened by an Xwing.

Since I am usually fully deployed before my opponents put down one model, I have to hedge my bets. I deploy in the following manner: 1 group of 3 xwings in one corner of my deployment, at a 45 degree angle pointing inwards. 1 group os 2 awings in the opposite corner, also at a 45 degree angle pointing to the center of the board.

First turn: Since most people are now using fleets that require formation flying, and my fleet doesnt, the plan is for one of my squadrons to get behind the enemy blog (unless they are using a large ship). So the squadron that the enemy deploys across from (its usually been the Awings) will bank 3 to be flying parallel to my table edge and the other squadron will bank 3 in the same direction to fly parallel with the side of the board.

I have played this 3 times now, and everytime, my opponents have tried to jump the Awings to get them out of combat faster. Invariablly, there are a lot of straight 4 and 5 moves towards them. I use a combination of boosts and evades to keep them infront and in range band 3. After the first turn the Xwings usually hard 2 or 3 towards the enemy ships, and I can often catch them on the second turn and be behind them on the third turn.

My Awings usually take a pounding in the first three or four turns. If any survive, they straight 5 + boost out of range and then loop back to catch the enemies now dancing with the xwings.

Its won me 3 games, one was extremely close, a lone xwing survived.

Rebels: 6 Xwing, 3 Ywings, 2 Awings, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK, 4 Bwings, 2 Ewings, 4 Z95s

Empire: 8 TIEs, 4 Interceptors, 2 Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle, 2 Phantoms, 3 Defenders

Scum: 4 Z95, 3 Ywings, 1 HWK, 2 Firesprays

#27 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Does anyone play A-Wings?

Can anyone get a hold of them is a better question. I've been trying for months to buy one. If more were available to purchase I'm sure that they would get more play time.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 2 VT-49 Decimators, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters, 1 Lambda

26 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 79 kills versus 49 losses

#28 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

GSP + PTL = Fun

I play

Luke + Swarm + R2-D2

Rookie +R2

GSP + PTL

GSP + PTL

100 points, fast, kinda hard hitting, and long living. 

#29 executor

executor

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

A list that I have been using recently:

3x Rookie Pilot + R2

2x Prototype Pilot

I love the manueverability of the Awings, but I dislike their lack of omph. I find they are the best used mopping up something that was softened by an Xwing.

Since I am usually fully deployed before my opponents put down one model, I have to hedge my bets. I deploy in the following manner: 1 group of 3 xwings in one corner of my deployment, at a 45 degree angle pointing inwards. 1 group os 2 awings in the opposite corner, also at a 45 degree angle pointing to the center of the board.

First turn: Since most people are now using fleets that require formation flying, and my fleet doesnt, the plan is for one of my squadrons to get behind the enemy blog (unless they are using a large ship). So the squadron that the enemy deploys across from (its usually been the Awings) will bank 3 to be flying parallel to my table edge and the other squadron will bank 3 in the same direction to fly parallel with the side of the board.

I have played this 3 times now, and everytime, my opponents have tried to jump the Awings to get them out of combat faster. Invariablly, there are a lot of straight 4 and 5 moves towards them. I use a combination of boosts and evades to keep them infront and in range band 3. After the first turn the Xwings usually hard 2 or 3 towards the enemy ships, and I can often catch them on the second turn and be behind them on the third turn.

My Awings usually take a pounding in the first three or four turns. If any survive, they straight 5 + boost out of range and then loop back to catch the enemies now dancing with the xwings.

Its won me 3 games, one was extremely close, a lone xwing survived.

i played the same list only had a red squadron, 2 rookies and 2 prototypes

Edited by executor, 03 July 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 3 Y-wings, 6 A-wings, 4 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders, 1 VT-49 Decimator

#30 executor

executor

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

no idea why that came out in a white box with white text.....

i played the same list only had a red squadron, 2 rookies and 2 prototypes

Edited by executor, 03 July 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 3 Y-wings, 6 A-wings, 4 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders, 1 VT-49 Decimator

#31 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

For a while I was dropping in Tycho using Swarm Tactics with a generic buddy while both were using missiles. The idea was to keep both flying in formation as much as possible while X-Wings were on support. It didn't work as well as I'd like, but it was interesting and netted me a few wins.

#32 Tusken Raider

Tusken Raider

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Surely not using PtL on Tycho misses a HUGE trick?

#33 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

One list I've tried in a tournament was 4 x Green Squadron w/Deadeye & Homing Missiles. It worked ok for me but the lack of punch after the missiles were gone was a problem. The beauty of the list is you don't need to lock on to fire your missiles, vital for a PS3 pilot IMO and keeps your opponent guessing as to where the missiles are going. If I was to take this list in another tournament I'd probably exchange some/all of the Homing Missiles for Assault Missiles to deal with the TIE Swarms that people still run.

#34 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

I ran two green squadron A-wings with cluster missiles to support Han this past Monday. It worked extremely well. I was only against five ties but the two attacks allowed me to pick off some ties that were annoying Han. Like y-wings A-wings are great support ships. I've used this A-wing setup against X-wings and yt100s and it can be a game changer if you set it up right.

#35 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

One list I've tried in a tournament was 4 x Green Squadron w/Deadeye & Homing Missiles. It worked ok for me but the lack of punch after the missiles were gone was a problem. The beauty of the list is you don't need to lock on to fire your missiles, vital for a PS3 pilot IMO and keeps your opponent guessing as to where the missiles are going. If I was to take this list in another tournament I'd probably exchange some/all of the Homing Missiles for Assault Missiles to deal with the TIE Swarms that people still run.

Agreed, Homing Missiles without Target Lock misses out on one of their huge selling points: not spending the TL. I'd probably give two of them Assault Missiles and the other two Concussion Missiles because one [Blank] result turns into a [Hit] result, which I think is pretty swell. It's only 98 points, but I don't think that's much of a problem.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#36 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Agreed, Homing Missiles without Target Lock misses out on one of their huge selling points: not spending the TL. I'd probably give two of them Assault Missiles and the other two Concussion Missiles because one [Blank] result turns into a [Hit] result, which I think is pretty swell. It's only 98 points, but I don't think that's much of a problem.

Actually, with Deadeye, you'll still have the Focus to modify your die roll so it's not a total loss. And it gives you more versatility in that you can use the Focus for defense if you need it. While it's true you'll lose the missile shot if you're shot at by someone with a higher PS than you and use the Focus for defense, it'll give you more survivability in the long run.

#37 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Actually, with Deadeye, you'll still have the Focus to modify your die roll so it's not a total loss. And it gives you more versatility in that you can use the Focus for defense if you need it. While it's true you'll lose the missile shot if you're shot at by someone with a higher PS than you and use the Focus for defense, it'll give you more survivability in the long run.

Wow, have I been asleep at the wheel! Totally missed that little gem. You can tell how often I actually field A-wings  :P

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#38 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I like:

Tycho + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

(x2) Green Squadron + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

Enimo Et Fide

#39 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

some nice squads popping up here, actually makes me want to try a few out. 

i like Luke + x-wing rookie + 2x Green Sqd Pilot/PTL.

i like the idea of specializing in evasive movement (PTL) with 2x x-wings for firepower.

lends itself to flying in two wings (2v2, A-Wings to out flank and X-Wings to engage the enemy)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#40 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

I like:

Tycho + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

(x2) Green Squadron + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

Wow! A definate TIE swarm killer! I would fear this if I saw it coming at my TIE swarm!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 2 VT-49 Decimators, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters, 1 Lambda

26 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 79 kills versus 49 losses

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS