Druadan Forest

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

The new lady hero is kind of a let down… I would be tempted to use her in a mono-lore deck is she reduced each threat by 2 instead of 1. That would make a mono-lore deck have -6 threat, instead of -3. As someone mentioned already, Elrond's Counsel does that for free! I don't think -6 threat would have been overpowered, seeing how that would be the only ability the hero would give right at the start of the game (perhaps bring you down to secrecy level). -3 feels like a waste of a hero slot…but these are just initial thoughts. I am sure there will be some who can make a good deck with her. If so, Iook foward to seeing those!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#22 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

you must remember that silvan is perhaps the poorest devleoped race in the game. in time i see that she shall become more useful….afterall, thinking at it like this- FFG pruposely created this character..they had no real narrative to go on or anything, therefore for them to make a weak hero seems a bit too much of an oversight for me

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#23 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

richsabre said:

TheLightdarker said:

Welp, looks like Forlong is easily a contender for best Ally in the game. I don't want to proclaim "broken beyond all comprehension" quite yet, but wow.

at first look i agree- but the stats are low. i mean, its +1 to wilpower in questing phase, then you can have him defend and if he survives then he can attack with 1 attack

now of course this can be boosted, and i think this is where the power lies…but certainly not all that powerful on its own

rich

richsabre said:

TheLightdarker said:

Welp, looks like Forlong is easily a contender for best Ally in the game. I don't want to proclaim "broken beyond all comprehension" quite yet, but wow.

at first look i agree- but the stats are low. i mean, its +1 to wilpower in questing phase, then you can have him defend and if he survives then he can attack with 1 attack

now of course this can be boosted, and i think this is where the power lies…but certainly not all that powerful on its own

rich

By the time his ability starts to work his stats will at the very minimum be: 2/2/2/ 3 or 4 depending on if you have the hunter or herdsmen in.  That could take a few rounds to set up before his ability will work, but by mid game he'll be solid.  He will almost certainly have 3 or 4 for each stat category by the end of the game, readying each phase.  Crazy, it will be like the OHaUH Gandalf, except each phase.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#24 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

richsabre said:

you must remember that silvan is perhaps the poorest devleoped race in the game. in time i see that she shall become more useful….afterall, thinking at it like this- FFG pruposely created this character..they had no real narrative to go on or anything, therefore for them to make a weak hero seems a bit too much of an oversight for me

rich

That's true! Perhaps this could mean we have some sweet silvan synergy to look forward to in the near future!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#25 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

ah- i overlooked the fact he was outlands himself (doh….)

@kyrie-i am quite sure that we shall see more silvan in this cycle. we have seen predictions for them for some time, and its good to see them

rich

#26 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

I am intrigued but somewhat let down by the new hero. If she had better stats or was the -2 per hero  I would be much more excited but -3 total is kind of underwhelming that's practically 1 treachery or 1 phase of unsuccessful questing and then that's negligible. Who am I kidding tho, I'll still give her a shot especially if the art is good. I'm glad the silvan trait is slowly being developed more as well. Crossing my fingers extra hard for a lore Haldir hero in the 5th AP. 

1 last note, I'm not unhappy that they're making solo sphere themes heroes (though I don't prefer them) but if they make Faramir's ability solo sphere focused ill be crushed 

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#27 Xaanalinos

Xaanalinos

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Actualy its realy nice that they want us to created mono sphere decks. Its way easier to create 4 decks without buying another expansions for 3-4 players. Already we got for spirit - rohan deck (questing like crazy and now even some def also), leadership - outland deck (hirluin + theodred) which is quite nice for solo playing and tactic eagle deck. Now we could make lore deck with new hero + bilbo secrecy deck or just add denethor for some taking enemies. 

#28 TheLightdarker

TheLightdarker

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

richsabre said:

rich

I think someone is forgetting about Esgaroth and Dale! sonreir

#29 Zalrus9

Zalrus9

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

TheLightdarker said:

richsabre said:

rich

I think someone is forgetting about Esgaroth and Dale! sonreir

Not to mention beorning!

#30 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Well, I was a bit hesitant to comment this early but I will.

Mirlonde seems very good to me. Again, not outside a mono-Lore (or major-Lore in some rare combo, perhaps with either Glorfindel). Her stats are very decent, considering she costs 7, right? 2 willpower, 2 attack for 7 is good, especially once we get more Silvan love. It is bound to be coming though we might wait some time. Silvan Tracker seems a must in a mono-Lore with Mirlonde. The problem for the majority of Silvan allies is the 1 hp, and I do wonder whether we see a card that boosts that in the future. They might have a hard time keeping up with the other quickly expanding factions, if we don't.

Forlong is good but I don't think I'll play more than a copy. From my experience, though my deck is quite good at putting Outlands into play, it is often usually mid-game when I have an Outlands ally from every sphere. Of course Forlong is good without the extra readying, given the more hp. The readying will be good for A Very Good Tale, for instance, but since you will have already had many Outlands in play, that might not matter too much. So really, what you get will usually be one extra action (quest + combat).

I am surprised to see Leadership and Lore mono-events being what they are. I was expecting something to deal with the usual weaknesses of the spheres. Like card draw for Leadership and especially resource acceleration for Lore. The two events given surely have lots of potential but for now Leadership-Lore Outlands decks seems too good to me to pass for either mono-deck.

I always love to see more Elves. However, they are quite random in what they do, and again, with the existing expanded factions, Silvan and Noldor might have to wait to be truly competitive (though of course you can do a hell of a lot with Glorfindel, or Elrond to an extent). The Refuge is especially intriguing, 2 willpower for the cost of 1, just so very nice.

And I was very much looking forward to the White Tower Guard, but again, that was when I was thinking of mono-Leadership Gondor deck, but now with the Gondor trait being still under-developed, I don't have such a deck.

The Tactics attachments seems pretty underwhelming, but I'm might be missing a combo here, perhaps a future one.

Overall, I like the cards very much, as always pretty much, the one thing I'm still missing in this cycle is more Gondor. Now, there won't be a Gondor hero coming next, so I hope for Faramir and another Gondorian in packs 4 & 5. And especially I hope in many more allies, and other synergies for the great nation. Cause as it is, their Outlands regions seem just so much more powerful than their original main force.

#31 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

SiCK_Boy said:

The hero is drawn by Magali Villeneuve.

So again a beautiful hero art as all Magali's pictures are. Nice. :)

Ohnomycocoa said:

There's a minor combo with silvan tracker And Mironde - if it's in play she will heal one damage when readied as she is silvan. 

And if more Silvan Trackers are in play, she'll get more healing, so she can soak some attacks in such case.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#32 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

I have to say I'm quite disappointed…I may like that she's a made up character (though there are so many characters in tolkien lore…well maybe not many female characters…anyway)…but her ability is really poor (good stats though)…I would have liked her much more if her ability would be minus 1 threat to lore or silvan heroes (choose 1 at the beginning of each game)…that would be great, you could use her efficiently with legolas or any other silvan that will come out…(granting us a few choices for a good secrecy silvan deck)…but like this…just disappointing…in a mono lore she might be useful…but in a mono lore where will you get resources ? who will you kill enemies with ? (yeah there are some decent fighters but what when you have to deal a lot of damage ?) how will you ready your heroes ?…she might be good in multi but in solo I don't see her as a playable character…

#33 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

What I want to know is how do you have this pack already?

#34 Ohnomycocoa

Ohnomycocoa

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

klaymen_sk said:

SiCK_Boy said:

The hero is drawn by Magali Villeneuve.

So again a beautiful hero art as all Magali's pictures are. Nice. :)

Ohnomycocoa said:

There's a minor combo with silvan tracker And Mironde - if it's in play she will heal one damage when readied as she is silvan. 

And if more Silvan Trackers are in play, she'll get more healing, so she can soak some attacks in such case.

Nice !

#35 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

Rapier: It was available at my FLGS. I seriously have no idea why they had it this early. I live in Gatineau (Ottawa area), Canada. Normally, expansion packs are available at the date FFG posts the "available now" news on their front page; I've seen it happen a couple time when it was available a day or two earlier, but that was usually after some preview / spoiler had already surfaced somewhere (and I've had case where it was late by as much as a week). In my case, I went to the store to pick up the latest Star Wars FP that was announced on Friday, and I just saw they not only had it, but also The Druadan Forest and Future Proof from Netrunner (which is also theoretically supposed to release on the 31st). Which was great since the store pays the taxes for you if you buy 3 boardgames (LCG counts as boardgame at that store), so I got all 3.

#36 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

I'm really not familiar with image hosting; if someone has better instructions on how to share images, let me know. In all cases, here's a link to a Flickr account I just created: http://www.flickr.co...N05/8841180232/. Let me know if it works. I have scans of all the cards (I scan them for use on OCTGN). Not sure if I'll upload them all, but since there were questions about the new hero, here it is. Feel free to repost if you can somehow make it appear directly in the forum.

#37 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:04 AM

Thanks Sickboy- looks great

#38 Redblock

Redblock

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Art is really great, and link works, so waiting for other card scans.

Mono lore deck with her can be very strong. My vision is her, Denethor and Bifur for starting threat of 20. Deck Idea is simple, 3 copies of Rivendell minstrel to fetch songs, any number of songs from sphere, or multiple spheres you want to use, and after that you can add whatever cards you want, can work as 3 character secrecy deck with spirit added. Bifur is good in this deck as song target.

#39 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

if you want to do the links then go onto the image,

click one of the sizes and then right click on the image.

then click view image

then copy the URl

then go onto FFG site and new post.

then at top right there is add image icon

paste the url into the bar

rich

#40 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

Wow that art is fantastic. Thanks for posting. Def gonna try and use her now

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS