Psychic Shield in Innate Slot.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MoonShadow

MoonShadow

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

When a Mentalist uses a Psychic Power Shield and it puts it in one of his Innate slots does he need to roll defence every subsequent turn that he receives an attack or the shield intervenes automatically? How is damage for the attack calculated?Does the attacked rolls Attack?

Thanks again!

#2 Black-Fox

Black-Fox

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

When an attack is made, there is alway an Attack roll and allways a Defence roll.

As long as a shield, either magical or psychic, is active on a character, then the character can use their Magic or Psychic Projection to defend themselves.

#3 MoonShadow

MoonShadow

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

So if a Mentalist has a Psychic Shield active and on the second turn I attack him again I roll attack and he rolls Psychic Projection..If I roll higher what happens?

#4 Black-Fox

Black-Fox

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

If the attack roll beats the defense roll of someone using a magical or psychic shield to defend, then they suffer damage as normal because they failed to use the shield to stop the attack.

#5 MoonShadow

MoonShadow

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

So at last to understand it completely. The Warrior attacks the Mentalist. Mentalist uses a shield and he rolls more Psychic Projection than the Warriors attack.The Shield succeeds and it loses Life Points equal to the base damege of the Warriors attack. The Mentalist decides to maintain his Shield and he puts it in his Innate slot.

Second Turn: The Warrior attacks the Mentalist again.The shield is in the Innate slot but the Mentalist rolls Psychic Projection and the Warrior his attack.If the Warriors attack is higher the shield does nothing and the Mentalish takes damage.If the Mentalist rolled Higher the shield takes the damage. Can the Mentalist counterattack if the shield successfully blocked the damage? If a maintained shield fails to block due to poor rolling of Psychic Projection does it stops to be active?

#6 Black-Fox

Black-Fox

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

The mentalist can counterattack, but only with a physical attack, not with any powers.

If a maintained shield fails to block an attack nothing happens to it, it is still maintained. Shields only stop working when either they break or are deactivated.

#7 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think the big problem is here: To activate a psychic shield you roll a psychic potential roll, not a psychic protection. To defense, after you have succeded the psychic potential roll, you use the psychic protection.

If you don't maintain the shield with an inniate slot, you must roll every round the psychic potential roll, like as you activate the shield every round.

Also: If you put the psychic shield into an inniate slot, it is possible that your shields starts to getting weaker.

For example: you have a psychic potential of 80 and activate a psychokinteic shield with an final roll of 141 (which would be Very difficult, therefore 700 LP). After this you but the shield into your inniate slot. Now, inniate slots only maintain powers on the level of your psychic potential or lower (which would be 80, also Medium, therefore only 300 LP). Because of this, your shield loses 5 LP per round up to the moment, on which it only has 300 LP, than it will only lose LP from attacks.

If you don't maintain the shield, every round a psychic potential roll is needed, therefore possible to get on round a stronger shield, the next round a weaker and another round no shield at all.

So long,

#8 Carcharoth

Carcharoth

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I have a question that's somehow linked to the previous post...

Can a PG, after have succesfully activated the psychic shield, mantain it in an innate slot if his psychic potential score isn't enough to have the shield active (so 60 or less)!?

In the case it is possible what happens!? it continues to weaken till zero? when it goes to zero does the carachter suffer fatigue 1 (as if he doesn't pass the psychic potential check)!?

thanks 

#9 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

If you roll a successful Potential for the shield, it would behave the way as described above, but would bottom out at the lowest success possible.

#10 Carcharoth

Carcharoth

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

If you roll a successful Potential for the shield, it would behave the way as described above, but would bottom out at the lowest success possible.

That is clear... but what if the score at which it should be mantained isn't enough to actually have an active shield!?

Giving some numbers... I activate the psychic shield with 120, so I want to put it in an innate slot but my base psychic potenial is 60 (so, according to the chart of the power, the effct is "fatigue 1"). What happen?

the shield stays active losing 5 lp till 0 or I can't mantain it in the innate slot since the score ins't enough to produce an active shield!?

tnx

#11 Arikail

Arikail

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

In a case like that, a Power is maintained at the lowest level possible for the Power to actually produce an effect. I don't have my books handy atm so I can't give you numbers, but if 60 isn't enough and 80 is, the shield would be maintained at the 80 level, even though you've only got 60 Potential.

#12 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Exactly as Arikail said.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS