The Most Agonizing Defeat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HorrorfromBuffalo

HorrorfromBuffalo

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Wow, it has been a while since I have posted on this board. A lot has happened Arkham/Lovecraft-wise in my life. I moved out of the house with my friends who had the game so I hadn't played in a while until last Christmas I received the base game and the Dunwich expansion as gifts! Then for my birthday I received the Black Goat of the Woods and the revised Curse of the Dark Pharaoh. In an old bookstore, I found an original Arkham House edition of The Horror at the Museum and Other Revisions by HP Lovecraft: a book full of the tales he edited for inspiring writers. It includes the origin stories for both Yig and Rhan-Tegoth!!!! Only 4,058 copies were printed. I am so excited to own one!

Anyways, what I wanted to write about was my latest game of Arkham Horror, which ended up being the most agonzing defeat I have ever suffered.

The match was Bob Jenkins, Darrell Simmons, Joe Diamond, and Tony Morgan (me) against Eihort with the Green Flame herald. We used just the Kingsport Horror expansion. I was playing with my old housemates using their boards.

The game started auspiciously with Bob controlling the rifts, everybody getting clues, and Tony being able to walk past the elusive cultist to seal a gate at the Woods. The second mythos card was the World Torn Asunder rumor but we took care of it rather easily from a lucky encounter draw at South Church which blessed Joe, who afterwards killed the Cultist before he unsealed the gate at the Woods. New gates were opening up every turn and monsters kept impeding the scrambling investigators, but we thought our luck had changed when Darrell bought an Elder Sign at the Curiositie Shoppe. At that point, we had two seals, one at the Woods and one at the Black Cave. We should have had 3 or 4 seals, but we had two big ones down and an Elder Sign to take off a doom token, I believe which was at 8 at the time.

Then the game struck. A gate burst at the Black Cave followed by a new gate and we were in final combat.

Tony couldn't do anything. Darrell had a spell he could cast twice and then was down to one roll. It was up to a loaded Bob and Joe to do all the work. Somehow, we got Eihort down to two doom tokens before Darrell fell to the infection. Joe and Bob sighed but went on a tear. Back down to two on the track. Tony has to roll a 6 to survive. He does! Bob takes it down to one doom token. Joe has 7 chances to get 4 successes.

He rolls 3.

He dies on Eihort's attack. So do I.

Joe has no chance.

It was heartbreaking.

Also, I am almost done transcribing one of my favorite Arkham Horror matches into a short story. I'll probably post a little bit on the board in a few days. I should finish the rough draft this week and will want to do a couple of revisions, so look out for it.

#2 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

So very very close. I've yet to face Eihort, but he sounds especially frustrating.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Wolfgar said:

So very very close. I've yet to face Eihort, but he sounds especially frustrating.

Eihort in final battle is like a nuclear meltdown…

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

…as soon as I knew that I had to face Eihort in Final Battle, I poured a drink and raised a toast to the defeated Investigators…I never even rolled the dice.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS