Ithaqua & Skill Check Re-rolls

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Esto

Esto

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:04 AM

Ithaqua's Start of Battle text states: "Investigators must roll a die for every item they have, discarding the item on a failure". If you have something that says:  Any Phase: Once per turn, you can re-roll any Skill Check ---- can you take a re-roll in this case? I don't think you can, but I just want to make sure before I throw away my shotgun.

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

Skill checks are the ones that are based on your six adjustable stats. Those are the rolls that you can add dice to by using clues.

Any other roll (such as the roll to lose a Blessing or "roll a die and lose that much sanity") is not a skill check and can not be rerolled.

#3 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

While we are on the subject of losing things, how do things like the derringer, which states it cannot be lost or stolen, interact with Ancient Ones like Ithaqua and Cthugha?

#4 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Esto said:

Ithaqua's Start of Battle text states: "Investigators must roll a die for every item they have, discarding the item on a failure". If you have something that says:  Any Phase: Once per turn, you can re-roll any Skill Check ---- can you take a re-roll in this case? I don't think you can, but I just want to make sure before I throw away my shotgun.

Tibs is correct. Anytime you are told to roll a die, or roll 2 dice, or roll 4 dice, etc, it is not a skill check and thus cannot be modified by any means (special abilities, clue tokens, etc). They also cannot be re-rolled by any means except for an investigator who has the Revised Anointed card or Sister Mary using her "bonus ability" to re-roll to keep her blessing.

Wolfgar said:

While we are on the subject of losing things, how do things like the derringer, which states it cannot be lost or stolen, interact with Ancient Ones like Ithaqua and Cthugha?

In this case, the items are not lost or stolen, they are discarded (destroyed). Items that cannot be lost or stolen are not immune to Ithaqua's or Cthugha's powers and you must still roll for it with Ithaqua or discard after using it against Cthugha.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Musha Shukou said:

Wolfgar said:

In this case, the items are not lost or stolen, they are discarded (destroyed). Items that cannot be lost or stolen are not immune to Ithaqua's or Cthugha's powers and you must still roll for it with Ithaqua or discard after using it against Cthugha.

Wrong.

FAQ, pag 10:

Q: Are weapons and items that can’t be lost or stolen immune to Ithaqua’s Start of Battle ability?
A: Yes.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

"Cannot be lost or stolen" is already a pretty weak effect. It's nice to know that one of its few benefits is immunity to Ithaqua and Cthugha.

#7 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Considering the Derringer doesn't even clear Ithaqua's combat modifier by itself, it's somewhat…

…cold comfort.

#8 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Guess I shoulda read the FAQ again before answering… I was so sure, though…

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Wolfgar said:

Considering the Derringer doesn't even clear Ithaqua's combat modifier by itself, it's somewhat…

…cold comfort.

*facepalm*

Yeah, but a +3 gun at your side is better than no gun at all. No gun? Better hope your Fight goes up to at least 5!

#10 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Musha Shukou said:

Guess I shoulda read the FAQ again before answering… I was so sure, though…

Dont' worry buddy… the latest FAQ is both nightmarish and overwhelming…

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#11 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

It's certainly Endless….

#12 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Make sure you don't read it with less than 3 sanity!

#13 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Manishtusu said:

Make sure you don't read it with less than 3 sanity!

I tried reading it with 2 Sanity and a Whiskey, but I don't think I retained much.

#14 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

I tried reading it with 1 Sanity and 2 bottles of Whiskey.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS