• 1,691 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Updated after Faramir's big reveal.

#22 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

Knowing the black riders last hero will be a spirit hobbit it'll then get 10 which is still the lowest hero count by 1. One would think this next hero in the blood of numenor AP will be spirit but if it'll be a mono booster who knows. Kind of hoping not since spirit lacks heroes that can be put in a diverse amount of decks:

From 9 heroes....3 are dwarves (and while Dwalin doesn't need other dwarves, his linear ability and new ally have made the hero relatively obsolete). So that's 6 heroes now, Pippen can only be used with other hobbits and Dunhere no longer seems that good anymore leaving only 4 heroes that can be put in a wide array of decks realistically... They could use some more options

That being said, they have the best hero (and if not the "best" hero the best hero considering his value) with spirit Glorfindel and the best means to deal with threat and treacheries so it's not as though they get no love

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#23 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Yes, they get love, and yes, they could certainly use more variables. As you say, there is not much to choose from - and will be less for LotR saga as the Spirit Frodo is illegal there. I would hastily agree Glorfindel to be the most versatile character, he just about fits any deck, but we need more Spirit heroes, surely. And I no longer think that Spirit hero will be a mono-sphere booster as we got no mono-Leadership booster hero either. They just move around a bit randomly with these, which is fine.

#24 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Maybe they will reserve the leadership and spirit mono boosters for the next cycle. If the next hero is spirit (and not a mono booster) I'm starting to grow attached to the idea of seeing a nice strong Eomer character. Spirit seems like the sphere of choice for Rohan (tho Eomer could fit in any sphere but lore IMO) and spirit could use a character with good atk or defense (or both,)

#25 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

I'm no longer following my guesses about characters and spheres. I thought it couldn't have been more obvious that Samwise will be Spirit and Peregrin anything but Lore...

...in a similar fashion I thought Boromir will hardly ever be Lore but now I'm guessing we might see him so in the saga, he after all saved the entire Fellowship by advising them to take fire-wood with them to Caradhras. I always found that bit very intriguing. And it is in accordance with Tolkien skill not to make predictable character choices. One would expect Aragorn or Gandalf to think of that, yet it is Boromir who saves the day then.

...coming back, I'm hoping the yet to be revealed hero is going to be either Gondor or Elf.

#26 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

I think I may prefer an en elf it's a spirit character rather than Gondor as there are so few spirit cards that interact well with what little synergies we have. If its a different sphere (which id be surprised if it was) I'm all for another Gondor character

#27 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Indeed, there are very few Gondor synergies in Spirit. Ironically the very first Gondor hero, Eleanor, is Spirit. The only card I can think of is Blood of Númenor. Then there are a few thematic ones that have nothing to do with the actual trait.

And I too would be very surprised if the next hero is not Spirit, the cycle (including the deluxe) would then bring 2 heroes per sphere.

#28 Ithilien Ranger

Ithilien Ranger

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'd love to see Mablung as a (Spirit) Gondorian Ranger. This would allow pairing him with Faramir for super- thematic, low threat cost decks that will be able to play Damrod as an ally.

Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gwaihir (artwork has been out for many months), somebody not well known, such as Hirgon, the errand-rider who delivered the Red Arrow (hopefully a future unique, limit 1/ deck attachment)to Theoden, or another FFG creation. There are multiple potential Rohan heroes out there, but if a future cycle would focus on them, I'd expect FFG to save Eomer and Erkenbrand as starter heroes for the deluxe expansion.

#29 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

I am definitely hoping to see Mablung by the end of this cycle as well either as a Hero or ally. If he does end up as a hero in agree it would be ideal to see him as a low cost spirit ranger who would couple well with Faramir. Maybe even some spirit ranger items whether they be traps or otherwise would be great. I love how lore Faramir flipped the expectations for the cycle heroes on their heads and now anything could happen

#30 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

Hero Count updated with the new spoilers, Spirit has suddenly caught up with Leadership but they are still one short of Tactics and Lore. Gondor has now two of each sphere, Hobbits have three in Spirit but probably just Fatty for the saga.

#31 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

The release schedule is currently:

2 heroes in a delux expansion + 6 from cycle to make 8; 2 of each.

Saga expansions have an uneven number of heroes which will balance out across all the sagas).

As a result for leadership and spirit to "catch up" will require the next saga expansion (assuming that the next deluxe expansion + cycle continue to be 2 of each).

They may change the formula in the deluxe + cycle to account for the saga hero pool. Especially likely to happen if they reach a saga expansion where they just can't justify every sphere (For instance Sam + Frodo alone to mount doom).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS