13 replies to this topic

#1 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

As seen here:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4122

Wow! Alternative cards and shield tokens! Looks awesome!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

Totally! And it comes with a pamphlet on suggestions for running Game Nights. It sounds like FFG has been listening closely to their fan base.

I REALLY want to get my hands on the alternate art Wedge. I can almost guarantee it's going to be a picture of him instead of his X-wing. Sooo exciting!!!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 Keoki

Keoki

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

I like the idea of alternative art cards instead of the jumbo cards we've seen before. But I think people would get even more excited about entirely new pilot cards for existing minis. I'd love to see Jek Porkins, or Leia Organa in a Y-wing (from Splinter of the Mind's Eye), or Leia Organa in an X-wing (from the recent Star Wars comic series), or Tycho Celchu in an X-wing (from the X-Wing novel series).

FFG could also use the Game Night Kits to release new upgrade cards, like Obi-Wan Kenobi or Vuffi Raa for the YT-1300.

#4 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

Keoki said:

I like the idea of alternative art cards instead of the jumbo cards we've seen before. But I think people would get even more excited about entirely new pilot cards for existing minis. I'd love to see Jek Porkins, or Leia Organa in a Y-wing (from Splinter of the Mind's Eye), or Leia Organa in an X-wing (from the recent Star Wars comic series), or Tycho Celchu in an X-wing (from the X-Wing novel series).

FFG could also use the Game Night Kits to release new upgrade cards, like Obi-Wan Kenobi or Vuffi Raa for the YT-1300.

That would unbalance the game in my opinion. I can tell myself it's okay if I don't get an alternate Wedge card, but a playable piece I never get to own (if I were to lose at game night)? That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#5 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

Parakitor said:

Keoki said:

That would unbalance the game in my opinion. I can tell myself it's okay if I don't get an alternate Wedge card, but a playable piece I never get to own (if I were to lose at game night)? That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

not to mention those that wish to sell theirs online.. expect to pay a stupid amount for a piece of cardboard.. and competitive players will pay for it if the stats are good enough

i'm in the same boat as you

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#6 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

executor said:

not to mention those that wish to sell theirs online.. expect to pay a stupid amount for a piece of cardboard.. and competitive players will pay for it if the stats are good enough

I feel the same way. I am still a big supporter of booster packs for pilots. Random or otherwise. I could see getting a random pilot for a specific ship being worthwhile, but random rebel pilot would be just another CCG.

#7 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

nimdabew said:

executor said:

I feel the same way. I am still a big supporter of booster packs for pilots. Random or otherwise. I could see getting a random pilot for a specific ship being worthwhile, but random rebel pilot would be just another CCG.

i would stop playing if they ever did anything randomized.. the sole reason i got into this game was because i knew what i was getting when i make the purchases

I play MTG and i buy everything in singles because i don't like randomized.. always feels like a waste of your money when you don't get what you're after.. so why start doing that with this game?
the real problem with the randomization is that the rares that are good go for insanely stupid prices sometimes due to the demand, i would expect this game to do the same.. and frankly i can't afford to play both after that fact.. and if i had to choose, i'd stick with magic because there are always people to play with and lots of competition.. this game can't say the same

also speaking for environmental standards as well, randomization creates a lot of waste, where as if they just released 1 pack of pilots every now and then then one only needs to purchase one package to get everything they need.. and no waste

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#8 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Alternative art in Game Night kits would be awesome! It's just the right playable, practical thing to ask for. The oversized cards are kind of gimmicky and not very practical IMO.

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Parakitor said:

Keoki said:

Total agreement here. Give the winners bragging rights with an alternate-art card, or those (awesome!) shield tokens, but don't give them unique tools with which to continue to beat down the opposition. I'll probably never play in a tournament in my life, but even I think that would be the wrong way to go…

#10 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

executor said:

i would stop playing if they ever did anything randomized.. the sole reason i got into this game was because i knew what i was getting when i make the purchases

I play MTG and i buy everything in singles because i don't like randomized.. always feels like a waste of your money when you don't get what you're after.. so why start doing that with this game?
the real problem with the randomization is that the rares that are good go for insanely stupid prices sometimes due to the demand, i would expect this game to do the same.. and frankly i can't afford to play both after that fact.. and if i had to choose, i'd stick with magic because there are always people to play with and lots of competition.. this game can't say the same

also speaking for environmental standards as well, randomization creates a lot of waste, where as if they just released 1 pack of pilots every now and then then one only needs to purchase one package to get everything they need.. and no waste

That's a good point I hadn't considered. I would be happy with buying known quantities, but I could understand if ffg went random route. 

#11 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

I for one would like to buy game night kit items for personal use.

#12 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Parakitor said:

Keoki said:

Total agreement here. Give the winners bragging rights with an alternate-art card, or those (awesome!) shield tokens, but don't give them unique tools with which to continue to beat down the opposition. I'll probably never play in a tournament in my life, but even I think that would be the wrong way to go…

never play in a tournament? you're missing out.. there's nothing better than tournament play.. keeps you on your toes
i have more fun in tournaments myself than i do playing for fun
then again i have a good competitive spirit.. well as competitive as one can be with a game that has it's fair share of luck involved

Current Fleet

#13 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm in the boat that I'll likely never get to play in a tournament, but only because I never see them organised in Australia, or more specifically Western Australia where I live.

#14 wblackthorn

wblackthorn

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

so my only question is will we get theses any where other than e-bay if we aren't in the U.S.A. as my local shop hasn't been able to get any of the other kits.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS