Photo

Integrating small box expansion more effectively.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:38 AM

These are all great options for involving corruption mechanics more, thanks! I am figuring that the check for Elusive cultists happens first, then the Horror check, then the check for Will (call it Persuasive?)?

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

You mean playing with Tzulscha and my Cult of the Thousands? Or?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Yeah exactly, or some other home brew add-ons that give them Elusive

#24 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, sure, first you roll for the Elusive trait (if you fail, you can't encounter them), then you check the Horror (their horrific sight could damage you even further) and then resolve any special abilities (implying that you now can deal with them)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#25 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

I just finished testing two custom sheets: Aforgomon and some nasty houserules for corruption (written on a sheet like an institution with SE). I must say, this was my most brutal game, ever. Investigators died to Innsmouth Look (Amanda's PS), Vessel of the Mythos (poor Joe) and Legacy of Blood (Yorick and Vincent). The latter caused Glaaki to awaken at terror level 9, with 4 seals down after a gate burst. Some observations:

Aforgomon: Lurker is not a joke anymore. I could literally feel the darkness taking hold of the investigators and for the first time in my gaming history, I was afraid to draw from the reckoning deck (getting devoured isn't just a nuisance with Glaaki around). The first few seals came easy, but the game got exponentially harder later on. 

Houserules: corruption for monsters (if you roll same or less as it's toughness), corruption for closing a gate (and not sealing) and of course, corruption for each dark pact you gain. In the end, I progressed well into the red phase. Joe was utterly consumed after closing a gate to R'lyeh, though he freed William from some nasty 'draw 2 more corruption cards' corruptions. 

To sum it all up, this was a particularly nasty combo. Afo is definitely a keeper and so are the corruption rules. Just not against Glaaki, I cannot take it again!

#26 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

You know, sometimes you work a lot on something, and you put it on-line for the community to play and you see people downloading the stuff but never say a single word about it. Neither "hey it's wonderful" nor "it's a total piece of crap". Nothing. Some of the stuff I created had something like 1000 views, or more, and the only comment in the last six month was from a hopeless guy sayin' "hey, you're cute, here is my mobile number, text me" (TEXT ME? really? c'mon, at least promise me I'll experience the ultimate paradise, what's "text me"? are we still 14 year old?).

So, thanks for the feedback on Aforgomon. Really.

And I'm also happy to hear that the game was brutal :) The Herald was designed for this specific reason: making the Reckoning deck something you have to dread. In case you want some more nightmares with Glaaki, you can play with this Herald here:

TheInhabitantoftheLake.png

And happy Vessel of the Mythos was in play! Red corruptions are really nasty! Should be fun playing with them! (Just remember you can retire people to get rid of the corruptions that will kill your whole party!)

#27 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Julia, c'mon, though...seriously...you're cute!  :rolleyes:

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#28 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

Julia, c'mon, though...seriously...you're cute!  :rolleyes:

:laughter: and you've just won an extra piece of cake when you pass by :)

#29 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I do love cake...however, I may have to wait a few extra months.  I'll send you mail.

The Professor

#30 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Ah I've tested Inhabitant too, because it seemed very unorthodox. I probably had a lucky draw with Dexter though, plus I was in my right mind (unlike my investigators after a few seals), so the GOO wasn't Glaaki. From what I've seen, it can be either very brutal - for small teams (I was lucky enough with 3 characters), or just simply maddening (6+ players). Blessing can outperform most of the madnesses, for a while. It was a fun turnover of the basic game mechanics, Dexter is no longer the unlucky dude or Mary God's chosen one (she still is, just which one, I wonder :-) ) Against Glaaki, you can be stuck in a 'don't you dare seal that gate, or the whole team explodes and the terror level jumps to ten' situation, which is just crazy. :-D I'll try that someday, then write a review. Really, I don't know why noone would comment on your homemade stuff, the ones I've seen are great. And brutal, which alone gives one the urge to comment!

• Julia likes this

#31 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thanks :) Indeed, the idea was to create something different. Point is: most of the existing stuff could give you problems for whom a solution exists. Yig curses, but you can buy blessings to countereffect his power. Items allow you to overcome the most different penalties. But there is nothing that allows you to discard a Blessing but a '1' rolled during the Upkeep. So, what if Blessings could create a lot of troubles? And so the Herald.

Anyway, happy you like them :) And happy you don't mind playing with custom creations :) If you wanna join the Advanced Players League, you're very welcome :)

Additionally, your interest, and Dj's, and Joe's, in this stuff gives a lot of motivations to go on with other projects (some new Heralds frozen in an embryo state, plus a new segment for the League)

#32 dwightsboardgame

dwightsboardgame

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

You know, sometimes you work a lot on something, and you put it on-line for the community to play and you see people downloading the stuff but never say a single word about it. Neither "hey it's wonderful" nor "it's a total piece of crap". Nothing. Some of the stuff I created had something like 1000 views, or more...

I don't know about other people, but there is a really high level of attrition from viewing something online to saving it to my computer, to printing it out, to actually playing it.

If I were to guess some numbers, it'd put the odds of me continuing to the next part of each stage to be very roughly about 1:3. So, I'll estimate that I'll view roughly 250 items for every one that I actually use. Player aids are the most likely to make it through this process. New Heralds and other expansions like that are probably the least likely. This isn't because they aren't interesting or well designed. It's because the because I play AH only a few times a year.

Hopefully I'll check a chance to try Tibs' custom investigators this year. I printed them out last year...

#33 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

a few times a year...I'm sorry :blink:

The Professor

#34 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

You know, sometimes you work a lot on something, and you put it on-line for the community to play and you see people downloading the stuff but never say a single word about it. Neither "hey it's wonderful" nor "it's a total piece of crap". Nothing. Some of the stuff I created had something like 1000 views, or more, and the only comment in the last six month was from a hopeless guy sayin' "hey, you're cute, here is my mobile number, text me" (TEXT ME? really? c'mon, at least promise me I'll experience the ultimate paradise, what's "text me"? are we still 14 year old?).

I know exactly what you mean. I keep my Investigators on my deviantArt account so I can more easily track downloads. Over all, I think each one has about three to five downloads a piece (on average) but no comments. I expect that in some ways since it's deviantart but a lot of work goes into my Investigators. I don't just crank these guys out--I carefully go through and write out a story, adjust stats and make the art myself. It's why I try and comment at least on any new Investigators folks put up (if they're original, I don't comment on characters from movies/games/shows since I'm in this for theme and roleplay feeling) because I know what it's like to create a 'life' and then have it feel like no one but you cares.

And on that same thread, yes, you are quite cute.

#35 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I keep my Investigators on my deviantArt account so I can more easily track downloads. Over all, I think each one has about three to five downloads a piece (on average) but no comments. I expect that in some ways since it's deviantart but a lot of work goes into my Investigators. I don't just crank these guys out--I carefully go through and write out a story, adjust stats and make the art myself. It's why I try and comment at least on any new Investigators folks put up (if they're original, I don't comment on characters from movies/games/shows since I'm in this for theme and roleplay feeling) because I know what it's like to create a 'life' and then have it feel like no one but you cares.

That's the point. There is a lot of work in every custom investigator, or ancient one, or herald. I have some stuff yet to be published that I've been working on for three years (the dam(n) Quachil Uttaus Herald). I suppose that people coming and downloading my stuff are interested in what I create. If they download, they could at least thumb it up. I have something like 150 downloads for certain files on BGG and something like 12 thumbs. And I'm not doing this to have feedback or compliments or whatever; but I'd love to receive from time to time a message saying "thanks, we played XY last night and we had a lot of fun" or whatever

And on that same thread, yes, you are quite cute.

:laughter: I should update that picture, it's something like 4 years old, and I look totally childish. I just tried to change it, but I'm not allowed to up any pictures from my pc unless I up them on photobucket. At least, thanks for not sayin' "text me" :laughter:

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS