102 replies to this topic

#61 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

MILLANDSON said:

MILLANDSON said:

Just thought I'd reiterate this, given the thread turned into "How would you make a Horus Heresy game?". I honestly reckon they'll stick to M41, as with the previous books. I'd quite like books that covered the Eldar and Tau (the former for Rogue Trader, the latter for Deathwatch), but I'm not sure they'd be allowed to make an entire RPG about them, since it'd require a fair amount of the fluff to be made from scratch, considering neither Eldar or Tau have the developed background that GW have given the Imperium.

Good point and thanks for helping us get back on track.  Books for Eldar and Tau in RT and DW games would be useful.  As for seeing entire RPGs about them being unlikely… I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm also not going to say we didn't think the same thing about Chaos at some point.  So, don't know.

#62 Sebashaw

Sebashaw

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

It would be usefull also have rules to construct xeno-ships.

We have the careers of the Dark Eldars, but if we want play an all-Dark Eldar party we must use Empire Ships.

#63 comradeda

comradeda

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I would probably support a rewriting of Dark Heresy with the more modern, streamlined mechanics. Not sure what to do with, say, the Adept, but still. Probably change it into a character past thing.

The other thing would be playing non-Imperial/non-Chaos characters, like a mercenary/trade/odd-jobs group, perhaps using the webway to get from planet to planet. Basically, non-Imperial Rogue Trader (but once again, more modern).

#64 Werewolf_nr

Werewolf_nr

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Tom Cruise said:

I'd like a second edition of the system, myself. One centralised core book with up to date, standardised rules, with DH, OW, BC etc released as supplements for that system. The same approach the World of Darkness games use. It'd increase inter-compatability a ton, and mean any ruleset updates effect ALL of the systems.

Yes, please! So many good ideas, but so much work on us poor GMs to convert as it is. And with that unified system would come a unified "Monster Manual" that could actually have useful difficulty information.

#65 antijoke_13

antijoke_13

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

having read the rave desire for a HH game, and the problems with Human/Marine interaction, and character individuality, I got to thinking: why not custodes? 

it's my understanding that Custodes, as the Emperor's Guard, eyes, voice and hands when the emperor wasnt around, were all distinct individuals. even though they were well drilled in fighting as a unit, it wasn't bred into them as it was into Marines. Furthermore, (at least in The First Heretic) the Custodes travelled a lot. they were attatched to Legions sent out in their crusades, and *could* fight with the legion if they so chose. Finally, if Custodes were on your ship, it's because the emperor thought you needed watching. this could lead to all kinds of interesting out of combat roleplay scearios. I think such a game would have wonderful roleplay value

#66 sunhawk88

sunhawk88

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

That's actually really cool idea, wouldn't say no to a Sisters of Silence option either

#67 johnnype

johnnype

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Tom Cruise said:

I'd like a second edition of the system, myself. One centralised core book with up to date, standardised rules, with DH, OW, BC etc released as supplements for that system. The same approach the World of Darkness games use. It'd increase inter-compatability a ton, and mean any ruleset updates effect ALL of the systems.

This.

If FFG want people to play their games more often then they have to make an effort make it easier for people to do so not more difficult. 

Also, why are they so quiet about future plans? My guess is they will have a big announcement at GenCon. Probably announcing a second edition of either DH or of a unified game line but more along the lines of what they have planned for Star Wars (one set of rules but many rulebooks). 

If anyone reading this is going to GenCon please report back to us what the hell FFG is planning because this silence is deafening. 

One other thing to note is that since the release of DH there have been two editions of the WH40K miniatures game. It's time. 

#68 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Everyone should take a few moments and think long and hard about what would happen if FFG produced a unified core rules set.

Simplified…

Step 1- Buy updated, unified core rules set. Don't expect as much content in each publication- in other words, expect to spend far more for the same quantity.

Step 2- Convert (through House Rules) every supplement that uses outdated rules, discarding sections that become redundant when the "splats" are released. (Many GMs will have already done this conversion work, resulting in no need for them to resort to Step 3, in which case buying an updated and unified rules set will be redundant, meaning many books will be printed without a genuine market demand, which in turn could drive FFG out of business.)

Step 3- Wait Tzeentch-knows how long for all supplements using outdated rules to be re-released with updated, unified rules. Expect glaring rules errors and contradictions, followed by yet more errata, and expect to spend more for the same (sketchy) quality.

If you only play Dark Heresy, then somewhere between steps 2 and 3 you'll spend upwards of $600 (again) on books that contain copy/paste text (complete with grammar and typographical errors) just to have updated rules mechanics. Black Crusade is a royal mess of rules loopholes, many of which found their way into Only War, so if you have amassed a complete FFG 40K RPG collection you'll spend well over $2000 just to have a complete set of updated and unified rules. 

Or…

Quit griping about incompatability, ffs, and either do the conversion work yourself or spend some considerable time searching the forums and blogs for the conversion work that has already been done. Home-use printers, ink cartridges and paper are cheap compared to flogging your wallet for a revamp.

To FFG: Quit outsourcing your supplements, dedicate in-house writers and developers to these RPGs, and produce publications with consistent quality. I strongly suggest you go back and look at the production value of Black Industries' contributions to the 40K RPG, particularly Purge the Unclean, and rethink your corner-cutting ideology.

=][=

#69 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Brother Orpheo said:

Quit griping about incompatability, ffs, and either do the conversion work yourself or spend some considerable time searching the forums and blogs for the conversion work that has already been done. Home-use printers, ink cartridges and paper are cheap compared to flogging your wallet for a revamp.[/quote]

I'd rather not houserule everything, thank you.  

Brother Orpheo said:

To FFG: Quit outsourcing your supplements, dedicate in-house writers and developers to these RPGs, and produce publications with consistent quality. I strongly suggest you go back and look at the production value of Black Industries' contributions to the 40K RPG, particularly Purge the Unclean, and rethink your corner-cutting ideology.

Eh, they just need a better editing team.

#70 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Where is there left to go?

Dark Heresy kicked things off with the Calixis Sector, the hub around which everything else revolves. The Halo Stars have been breached, leading into the Koronus Expanse. Tucked away between Calixis and the Expanse is the Screaming Vortex and the warp gate into the Jericho Reach (getting crowded there). The Jericho Reach itself has been pushed to the "Outer Reach". And now we've been introduced to the gap between Calixis and Scarus, known as the Periphery. 

This leaves us the Ixaniad Sector. What would make it significantly different from Calixis? Or, Trailing- I doubt we'll see anything there- the Mandragora "Sector", a region of space lost to the Imperium, a place whose inhabitants were largely shipped into Calixis to populate its worlds, a place of ill reputation and Phaenonite cast-offs.

Nothing worthy of its own setting remains to be explored. Besides, do you really want to take the chance that a potential source book for one of the existing games morphs into yet another stand-alone game?

It's time FFG communicates their future intent for 40K RPG(s) with a bit more transparency. The likelihood of seeing a Xenos-based RPG are pitiful. I pity the FFG Star Wars customers- in five years they'll be where we are now. If they're lucky it'll all be for one game system. There is little excitement beyond Tome of Plague/Pestilence and Enemies o/t Imperium and this is not enough. Deathwatch and Dark Heresy languish in limbo.

Has the time come when Farmer Jones takes Boxer to the glue factory?

=][=

#71 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Brother Orpheo said:

Nothing worthy of its own setting remains to be explored.
Whoah. That's kind of like saying that every author can put their pen down now because there are no more good novels or movie scripts to write.

You can always add something new and interesting if you have a good idea. You don't need a new sector for that either - just put down another name on the map and you've got yet another playground for your creativity!

And in theory, anything could be turned into its own game. You could have an RPG that deals about the adventures of a Tau Ambassador and their team as they venture out to make contact with new worlds. Or a game about AdMech Explorator missions, scavenging lost technology in a weird mixture of Blade Runner and Tomb Raider. A game about a squad of Battle Sisters undertaking mission after varied mission in the name of their God-Emperor. Or one about Orks that is laden with weird humour. Or how about gang warfare and underhive economy in a P&P version of Necromunda? Just to name a few examples off the top of my head!

I'd agree, though, that a unified rulebook for everything and everyone would be a much better thing to have - even though I doubt this will happen at this point, not to mention that such neutrality and "lack of focus" would be a crass departure from how FFG's other 40k games were basically each tailored specifically for their situation and narrative style.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#72 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Brother Orpheo said:

To FFG: Quit outsourcing your supplements, dedicate in-house writers and developers to these RPGs, and produce publications with consistent quality.

You do realise that 99% of RPG companies basically run on freelance writers, artists and developers, right? The era of companies having full-time writers have been gone a good 20 years.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#73 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

MILLANDSON said:

Brother Orpheo said:

To FFG: Quit outsourcing your supplements, dedicate in-house writers and developers to these RPGs, and produce publications with consistent quality.

You do realise that 99% of RPG companies basically run on freelance writers, artists and developers, right? The era of companies having full-time writers have been gone a good 20 years.

Yes, I do. And that's exactly why I said what I did.
I can forgive you of this shortsightedness. You're just defending your own gravy train, no matter how thin that gravy may be.

=][=

#74 Targetlock

Targetlock

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

orks or eldar pretty please :)

P.S working on eldar supplement at the moment :) post on house rules forum

#75 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

I think a Titanicus RPG would be pretty bad a$$.  Controlling TItans would be a very interesting idea especially after the Dan Abnett book Titanicus.

Precedents :  Mecha games like Mechwarrior or Dragonmech.  There is a whole Genre of games based on Mecha.

Highlights:  Giving your characters an immense feeling of power.  Having Mass-Mass combat rules.  Having mouth watering stats for various classes of Titans.  Rules for generating your very own Titan Order.  Games become more strategic in scope and can really get into the geopolitics of the 40th Millenium. 

Problems:  Missions might be narrow in focus, hard to have a social encounter with a Warhound parked outside the cantina.  Be prepared for Characters to have the power to really really change the course of the campaign in one mission.

I thought that this might make the characters too overpowered, if they are running around with Titans (or 1 titan and everyone is part of the crew).  However, they have already done something similar with Rogue Trader.  If any thing, a Ship of Cruiser size or more has more firepower and armour than a Titan so giving the characters a Titan would be perfectly reasonable.  In addition, characters in Only War can probably get ahold of a Baneblade if they beg their Regimental commander enough and a Baneblade is basically a Titan-lite. 

Edited by peterstepon, 04 July 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#76 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

MILLANDSON said:

Brother Orpheo said:

Yes, I do. And that's exactly why I said what I did.
I can forgive you of this shortsightedness. You're just defending your own gravy train, no matter how thin that gravy may be.

I'm not sure what you're implying - I don't get paid for being a playtester, I volunteered to do it way back when because I enjoy it.

I forgive you for your ignorance of how FFG operates, and the gaming industry as a whole, though.

• Radwraith likes this

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#77 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think a Titanicus RPG would be pretty bad a$$.  Controlling TItans would be a very interesting idea especially after the Dan Abnett book Titanicus.

I thimk this might be a bit of a reach for it's own system. It would be a VERY cool supplement to the "Only War" game. Add a Princeps Archtype (Probably as an "Elite" class and rules for Titans at war...Mmmmm! :)

#78 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

I thimk this might be a bit of a reach for it's own system. It would be a VERY cool supplement to the "Only War" game. Add a Princeps Archtype (Probably as an "Elite" class and rules for Titans at war...Mmmmm! :)

Good point.  It would be a good addition for Only War, such as an "Acension" type expansion book.  I think the model of everyone being the crew of a Titan might work since it would not give them too much firepower, but still enough to have fun.  We can see stats for all types of Titans, Gargants, Chaos Titans etc. 

I have money in my account ready for it.  Get ready to develop FFG for it will soon be all yours!

#79 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

What I want is the Ork roleplaying game.  You play different kind of orkz.  It's all about orkz.  Orkz orkz orkz orkz.

But yeah a new revised edition with a primary core book would be nice.  Also, hire a line editor who gets rid of things like the Tome of Excess being written with the assumption that Chaos Rituals cost XP.

#80 Arbitrator

Arbitrator

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

At this point, I'd much rather see Dark Heresy Second Edition. Its still the most popular game line from what I've seen, but when compared to Only War the rules are really starting to show there age.

As much as I'd like to see a 'global rulebook' the cynic in me doubts it would happen if the other corebooks keep selling, plus FFG are still going that route with Edge of the Empire.

The silence from the Dark Heresy line is.. interesting, to say the least.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS