more season in Fire and Ice

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

PS: I like 90% of others i have talked to say things like o thats just a macd post forget about it he is full of bs....but i am tierd of you bashing this game...you should go play somethign else man its obvious this is not polished enough for you..

#22 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

I don't know much about the level of polish this game actually has in comparison to other card games...sure it ain't perfect and sure it could use more proof reading (Jaqen the reprint I'm looking at you!), but for me personally it's the great mechanics like the plots among other things that puts it over the top. :D

Edited by Ruvion, 12 July 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#23 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

That's because the people that care enough to post on these forums care about the game. Here is a post from BGG regarding a new player trying to learn the game:

"Unfortunately, this is a game where you can read the rulebook 20 times and still barely get it. In fact I may have gone through it that many times. It's just. That. Bad. I had to print and read the errata to get better ideas about how the game works, and learn about concepts like the state of "moribund" that are never mentioned in the rulebook."

Full Thread

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. That guy admitted he was fairly well versed in MtG as well.

Or a better example, here is a Reddit thread where only two people recommend AGoT LCG as their first choice for an LCG/card based game and the upvote breakdown is something like this:

Netrunner - 24

LotR - 13

Star Wars - 9

AGoT - 4

Race for the Galaxy - 3

Summoner Wars - 3

Space Hulk - 1

[WSIG] Looking to try my first LCG / card-based tabletop game.

AGoT appears to be getting 1/8th the recommendations of Netrunner, 1/3 the recommendations of LotR, and 1/2 the recommendations of Star Wars. This was a clearly a potential, and possibly even interested, customer that was steered away from the game by what should represent a totally neutral community (/r/boardgames). 3 other LCGs were recommended over AGoT. This is even with mostly positive reviews on BGG for AGoT.

#24 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

yup, a poll of 50 reddit users should be totally accurate and representative of the entire community :P

#25 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

I like how the top 3 games on that list are relatively new(LotR is only a hair over 2 years since being released).  Their card pools aren't that large so the learning curve to play is significantly less of a task.  Their FAQs are only a few pages long and as their card pools grow large and more mechanics are created(assuming this will be true), there will be more pages added to the FAQ and more clarifications required.

You know what's pretty cool about buying a new car? All you really need to do is drive it off the lot and you're all set.  The vehicle's manual is generally all you need to learn about the car.

You know what sucks about buying a used car? There's normally a lot of catchup you need to do and you learn about what kind of preventative maintenance and work that needs to be done to it by driving it.  Sometimes the car doesn't have original parts or has some patchwork done to it by any previous owner.  You have a lot more to learn about the car and may need to rely on trial and error or have the mechanic inspect it so he can teach you more about the car.  The CarFax report on this car is much larger, but it is important to know where the car has been.

In my opinion it is very hard to compare AGoT to the games that were voted above it.  LotR is a completely different LCG where it is building a deck against a story or mission, so that does not even compare to the other 3 in the top 4.  Star Wars and Netrunner are different, but the complaint against AGoT is there is too much **** to learn.  Yeah, well, that's because after 5 years of new mechanics cards, the FAQ gets pretty full. 

#26 siejai

siejai

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

So...

the card does say it must contain the word "Summer" or "Winter"... so I would assume a card like Shireen Baratheon would not count since the "summer" in the flavor text isn't capitalized.  So unless the flavor text starts with Summer or Winter, it's pretty unlikely.  I haven't seen any artists with Summer or Winter for names either, so I guess we are good there.  So basically the only non-seasonal cards you can get are:

Shores of the Summer Sea (AToTT)

Summer (LoW)

Summer Sea (Core, PotS, QoD)

Summer Sea Corsair (RotK)

Winter Cache (WotN)

Doesn't seem that game breaking, and I doubt if you are running that event any of these are really worth blowing the event for.

#27 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

and since we can assume that ffg new that this small list existed and did not mind you being able to look for these few itmes outside of the other seasonal effects i would think this post has been a none issue.

#28 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

macd you examples has nothing to do with polish of cards but to do with over complex rules. We agree the rules are hard to learn. Plust for ever one post on BGG saying bad things about AGoT you can find 50 ones saying good things. TAke a look here: http://boardgamegeek...39953?comment=1 or the 3029 people who have rated the game giving it a 7.9/10 rating which is decent.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS