24 replies to this topic

#21 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Leechman said:

There are definitely times when you can go too far with realism.

Sometimes fun is better.

"Because." can be a perfectly good reason, especially in fiction.

Agreed.  After all, the majority of Star Wars, particularly the films, already runs on "Rule of Cool," so why should the RPG be any different?

If it'd make for a cool scene to have a starfighter hovering in place in atmosphere just before laying down a barrage of laser fire at a bad guy base or vehicle, then do it, psuedo-science explanations be damned.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#22 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Probably why Star Wars is known more as space fantasy. Most of the high tech just is. It is most definitely not a hard science fiction setting.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#23 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Donovan Morningfire said:

If it'd make for a cool scene to have a starfighter hovering in place in atmosphere just before laying down a barrage of laser fire at a bad guy base or vehicle, then do it, psuedo-science explanations be damned.

BINGO!

Why limit yourself to what a starfighter can do (Or anything else, for that matter) because someone else thinks its cool.

And if a GM can give, y'know, reasons to explain their rulings, beyond "Because I said so, deal with it," all the better.

-WJL

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#24 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

The reason is that I think it might be cool to have a bit where someone has to nurse their damaed fighter back to the (space) carrier, followed by an exciting landing on a pitching (space) deck in a (space) storm (Maveric has the ball!), and I think being able to just stop outside the hanger and have someone throw you a rope takes some of the fun out of it.

Similarly, you have to get someone to manually rotate the turbines on your X-Wing in order to get them to start in order to evoke scenes where Biggles gets in his Camel and someone spins the prop and the motor coughs in to life.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#25 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

ErikB said:

The reason is that I think it might be cool to have a bit where someone has to nurse their damaed fighter back to the (space) carrier, followed by an exciting landing on a pitching (space) deck in a (space) storm (Maveric has the ball!), and I think being able to just stop outside the hanger and have someone throw you a rope takes some of the fun out of it.

Uh, then go watch the Wing Commander movie?

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS