Search For Skywalker - Spoilers

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

The DS navy decks can have some sick openings with the new set. 

You can drop a Devastator and a star destroyer first turn or an AT-ST and Devastator/ Star Desroyer on turn 1. You kill your hand and put 3 damage on deploy the fleet but its a really fast start that the LS will have to worry about. 

#42 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

TGO said:

You can drop a Devastator and a star destroyer first turn or an AT-ST and Devastator/ Star Desroyer on turn 1. You kill your hand and put 3 damage on deploy the fleet but its a really fast start that the LS will have to worry about. 

I agree.  Turn 2 Devastator is a REAL problem.  I will gladly pay the 1 resource every turn as well. AT-ST/Stormies hold down the fort while Destroyers crush your face.  Looking forward to this weekend =D

To add to you scenarios, Motti, Star Destroyer (maybe Devastator) and Stormies/AT-ST is also very possible. Good Luck!

To be clear, its unlikely you would play Devastator turn1 unless you had no other option given that you cant attack that turn.  Better to setup some defenses/economy.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#43 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Looks like the meta has really been opened up. Rebels and imp navy are now extremely competitive with just one 5 objective expansion. Bravo, fantasy flight.

#44 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hida77 said:

TGO said:

I agree.  Turn 2 Devastator is a REAL problem.  I will gladly pay the 1 resource every turn as well. AT-ST/Stormies hold down the fort while Destroyers crush your face.  Looking forward to this weekend =D

To add to you scenarios, Motti, Star Destroyer (maybe Devastator) and Stormies/AT-ST is also very possible. Good Luck!

To be clear, its unlikely you would play Devastator turn1 unless you had no other option given that you cant attack that turn.  Better to setup some defenses/economy.

Why hold it back? A 1st turn Devastator is a good defense and great offense. They can't risk attacking and letting the Devastator swing unopposed. 

I had 3 games at the regional with 1st turn Devastator and won all 3. 

#45 Rob Martin

Rob Martin

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

TGO said:
Why hold it back? A 1st turn Devastator is a good defense and great offense. They can't risk attacking and letting the Devastator swing unopposed. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

#46 Rob Martin

Rob Martin

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

No way to preview or edit posts; this is easily the worst forum I have been on in the last 5 years.

#47 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Rob Martin said:

No way to preview or edit posts; this is easily the worst forum I have been on in the last 5 years.

If you want to edit a post after the edit button time limit has run out click the report to moderator link and in your address bar where it says "reportar" replace with"editar" . This let's you edit an old post any time you want to.

#48 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

TGO said:

Hida77 said:

TGO said:

Twi'lek Loyalist or any cheap character with a tactics icon would be a reason.

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#49 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hida77 said:

TGO said:

Hida77 said:

TGO said:

Jedi Mind Trick springs to mind. Twi'lek Loyalis is another reason.  Should i continue?

Jedi Mind Trick on Devastator? I'm confused.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#50 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

The Loyalist is pretty much the bane of any single unit defense for the Dark Side (well, it and its cousin the smuggler). Unless, of course, you have a force choke sitting around.

#51 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

If the LS first turn involves a twilek loyalist I'm pretty sure it's not the greatest of openers. I would be more worried about a 1st turn Obi-Wan with trust your feelings, at that point my board is locked down unless I draw a Tie Attack Squadron with a Fate card. 

#52 Fluke Starbucker

Fluke Starbucker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Are there a spoiler lists for Rebels and Scum/Villany?

#53 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Fluke Starbucker said:

Are there a spoiler lists for Rebels and Scum/Villany?

Both sets were already previewed in full by FFG.

Rebels: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3797

Scum and Villainy: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4071

#54 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

TGO said:

If the LS first turn involves a twilek loyalist I'm pretty sure it's not the greatest of openers. I would be more worried about a 1st turn Obi-Wan with trust your feelings, at that point my board is locked down unless I draw a Tie Attack Squadron with a Fate card. 

Thats funny. I'd consider a Turn 1 Twi'lek/Han Solo to be much worse. It wont keep you from attacking next turn, but will quickly dispatch the Devastator and set up a "Timewalk" situation. where the LS is a turn ahead, both because he killed it and a good deal of your resources will be on lock down because of paying for it. Luke would also be problematic, given he could defend and at least prevent the unopposed damage (if not the edge-enabled too) since the Devastator can't kill him in one strike, paricularly if there was a blaster deflect in there.

#55 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Not to mention that barring god-draw, Obi/Trust is almost impossible to pull off turn 1, given it costs 7 total (6 with In You Must Go)

#56 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Loyalist + a big unit is always a good play, best when that big unit has targeted strike. One of the most common misplays I've seen is not attacking with the Loyalist alone in that situation. Arguably, the LS player that drops Loyalist + Han against the Devestator should purposefully throw the edge battle (assuming committed Devestator). Then, when Han is done attacking the Devastator has 3 focus tokens and 3 damage.

#57 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

dbmeboy said:

Loyalist + a big unit is always a good play, best when that big unit has targeted strike. One of the most common misplays I've seen is not attacking with the Loyalist alone in that situation. Arguably, the LS player that drops Loyalist + Han against the Devestator should purposefully throw the edge battle (assuming committed Devestator). Then, when Han is done attacking the Devastator has 3 focus tokens and 3 damage.

+1, my thoughts exactly.

#58 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I hate to inconvenience anyone, but can someone who has the set please upload high res images somewhere? I'm dying to see cards, but I won't get my hands on it until next week.

#59 Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hida77 said:

TGO said:

Thats funny. I'd consider a Turn 1 Twi'lek/Han Solo to be much worse. It wont keep you from attacking next turn, but will quickly dispatch the Devastator and set up a "Timewalk" situation. where the LS is a turn ahead, both because he killed it and a good deal of your resources will be on lock down because of paying for it. Luke would also be problematic, given he could defend and at least prevent the unopposed damage (if not the edge-enabled too) since the Devastator can't kill him in one strike, paricularly if there was a blaster deflect in there.

The thing is, you can easily deploy 2 such big units as a Navy Player now. With one of them having shielding, you can protect your Devastator if you go the defense and stabilize route. Sure, you may have discarded your whole hand to do it, but then again, 3+1 (Death Squadron) and 4+1 (Devastator) bombs are nothing to sneeze at when on the receiving end.

Even in a likely scenario pitting Luke against the Death Squadron, you still get through at least once, if not twice.

Of course, as we all know, such big units are very susceptible to focus icons (hence the shields). Still, I am kind of baffled why isn't the Death Squadron protected from card effects but only from events. If I am not mistaken, given the current card pool, there are only two cards that can target it: Deflection and Rebel Assault. Heat of Battle can still target it. Why such nimble difference? My guess is they probably did that because of knowledge of what is to come, but still… not really convincing ability as of right now.

#60 Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Maybe they wanted for Han Solo to kill such beast (since his reaction ability would be negated by immunity to card effects). But then again such thing may have been to powerful… Either way, I like it. Will stick it into my Navy deck just because there is nothing more awesome than deploying the mighty Imperial Armada in the first turn.

/damn forums having me to post second post instead of editing. No, I am too lazy to change the URL. :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS