Photo

Why don't orcs fall to Chaos in massive numbers.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

In the most recent fluff Orks are not capable of falling to chaos, they used to be. There were even Khorne Stormboyz in one supplement. However orks do what they please and bow to no one unless that someone beats the **** out of them first and Khorne or any of the others can't do that.

They also have none of the fallacies for instance humans have. There's only two things they care about, fight and drink and no amount would be considered excess to an ork. They're sentient but ultimately too simple to be corrupted. 

#22 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

They obviously care about social status, as well as fighting.

#23 MorioMortis

MorioMortis

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

They obviously care about social status, as well as fighting.

They don't actually care about those. Social status is based on size and ability (usually, after defeating a bigger Ork, the smaller Ork grows in size, which is why Nobz are bigger, and Bosses even more), but Orks don't place any rational importance on those apart from an instictive desire to be the alpha Ork, which requires they beat anything they can see. They fight each other all the time because it is in their basic instincts, they do not have an emotional attachment to it. An Ork may make plans to defeat another Ork not because they want to dominate them, but because they want to beat them. They don't want to be the boss, they want to be the biggest, meanest Ork around, and Orks instinctively follow the biggest Ork around.

• bogi_khaosa likes this

#24 Trader Austin

Trader Austin

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:55 AM

they don't fall to chaos because they were designed not to. they follow gork and mork. however evolution being what it is a few have started to. further chaos has little to offer orks. there entire life is controlled by instinct. they want to fight because their instincts tell them to. this makes them bigger which allows them to get into more and better fights. no fear. their biology means they don't have to worry about injury of illness or age. no greed or envy. the drive for better stuff is so they can get into better fights. they have no secrets really. thats theory 1. 

theory 2. they are designed to fuel 2 powerful warp devices (gork and mork). don't know what they do but.... the orks were designed to fuel them and all the energy that would normally be used by chaos is funneled into these devices. any ork that falls to chaos is killed for being un-orky. 

#25 kwinland

kwinland

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

The Korne supplement in Black Crusade made a passing referrence to corrupted orcs. So my question is why does the whole race not fall to corruption? They live for war and use violence as their primary problem solving method.

Howdy,

The simple explanation is that they were engineered not to. :)

The original fluff (40K Rogue Trader days circa 1988-90) mentioned things like the WAAAAGH! and Ork psyche.  However, in one or two of the old Ork supps (I think that it was "'Ere We Go") did have Stormboys of Khorne, although I think that these were Orks that simply emulated the boody-mindedness of the Blood God, and not necessarily Chaos worship.

Cheers,

Ken

#26 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

Any thoughts on where the Ork gods Gork and Mork fit into the 40K cosmology? I've been toying with the idea that they are misinterpretations of the Chaos Gods- Mork, god of strength and resilience, is an amalgam of Khorne and Nurgle, while Mork, god of speed and cunning, is a hybrid of Slaanesh and Tzeentch- but that doesn't really mesh with the fluff: Orks being created by the anti-Chaos Old Ones, and in any event predating the 'birth' of Slaanesh. So, if Gork and Mork aren't Chaos, what the hell are they…?

A mistake to many people make. The 'Big 4' aren't the only warp entities that can be classified as gods. It's oldschool cosmology that they aren't and it's never been specifically retconned either.

That Khaine is even Khorne has always been plays off as a big maybe. Gork and Mork have never actually been in doubt, while the rest of the Eldar gods (ie: not Khaine) only marginally moreso.

Each 'warp deity' is a product of the belief system that gave rise to it, like Vaul and Isha are results of unique elements of the Eldar psyche, as much as Khaine is. Even the Emperor could possibly ascend to 'Chaos God' status if his soul came untethered from his body. He was already a gestalt-super-immortal-psyker to begin with.

As for where Gork and Mork came from? I imagine it was an entirely unintended effect of the Brain Boyz losing control of the hordes and the Orks themselves adopting a belief system to explain their origins. Much like the Eldar did, forgetting it was the Old Ones who created them to be soldiers against the C'Tan (or whatever in the newest ed).

And as for why they don't fall. As others have said, the Waaaagh! energy generation by large clusters of Orks could have a dampening effect on the powers of Chaos. And the fact that Orks don't want anything that Chaos has to offer. He can always find a good fight, and he doesn't fear death, or injury.

In the most recent fluff Orks are not capable of falling to chaos, they used to be. There were even Khorne Stormboyz in one supplement.

Even back then it was a very rare occurrence for them to fall.

Edited by Blood Pact, 05 September 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#27 revanant

revanant

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

Orks don't fall to Chaos because they're plants. Obviously.

Also, just because the Grey Knights aren't out hunting down manifestations of lesser Gorks doesn't mean Mork isn't magically making the red ones go faster.

#28 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

Orks don't fall to Chaos because they're plants. Obviously.

Are you saying that plants can't fall to chaos?

Because I'll take that bet.

I'll take that bet so hard.

:P

Also, just because the Grey Knights aren't out hunting down manifestations of lesser Gorks doesn't mean Mork isn't magically making the red ones go faster.

I would be surprised if Gork and Mork actually did anything like that. As far as I know, they don't need to, either. The red u'nz go fastah because the orkz believes it does, that's all there is to it.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 12 September 2013 - 04:20 AM.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#29 Theofonias

Theofonias

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Off topic:  I know the Warp is a reflection of thoughts and emotions, wouldn't the belief in the Emperor of trillions of humans and ab humans do something?  I know the Star Child was retconned a long time ago.

#30 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

The chaos gods are scared crapless of Gork and Mork as they are arguably more powerful than all of the big 4 combined. Where Chaos gods need to recruit worshipers to power themselves and rely on faith, Gork and Mork are LITERALLY the divine manifestation of an entire race of beings.

Just let that sink in for a bit.

Now take into account that that race is all hyper aggressive fungus-monkeys who really only live for smashing things. Would you want to piss off the immortal beings that they belong to?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS