Solo Mono Challenge

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 son_of_horus

son_of_horus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Sorry about that lepto. I guess I shouldnt talk about my tactics and spirit so far then… I'm on a bit of a roll with this one. My spirit deck is a POWERHOUSE against this. Started at only 20 threat and just controlled deck the entire time.

#22 son_of_horus

son_of_horus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

Finally finished up today.  Before I post my scores I have to say that I had an absolute blast with this challenge and I really think we should have one of these Solo Challenges going on all the time.  That being said, here are my scores.

Leadership

Aragorn, Prince Imrahil, Theodred (31 threat)

3-0 in games

0 Assassin kills

9 pts total

Spirit

Glorfindel, Dunhere, Eleanor (20 threat)

3-0 in games

3 Assassin kills

12 pts total

A quick note on this.  I feel like I could have played this deck against any quest (except maybe Return to Mirkwood) and won.  Such a low starting threat made it able for me to have complete and total control at all times.  I had Light of Valinor, Imladris Stargazer, and Unexpected Courage at the beginning of all 3 games.  I did get super lucky by not flipping Local Trouble during staging at all though.

Tactics

Legolas, Thalin, Hama (27 threat)

3-0 in games

2 Assassin kills

11 pts total

Lore

Aragorn, Glorfindel, Bilbo (33 threat)

1-2 in games

0 Assassin kills

3 pts total

35 total points

My hero MVP was easily Dunhere.  My MVP ally was Imladris Stargazer.  MVP non-character was Hands upon the Bow.

I was on cruise control up until my Lore games.  I lost the first 2 games on the 1st leg of the quest because I just couldn't get through the battle part fast enough.  In game 3 I was able to hit a Haldir and he got me through the worst of it.  I was able to keep everyone healed up and safe from dying but I just couldn't get the strength going.

Overall this was one of the most fun and challenging experiences I've had in a while and I can't wait for the next one.

#23 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Boromir, Imrahil, Théodred for Leadership, winning 3 out of 3, killing the assassin once

Dúnhere, Eleanor, Glorfindel for Spirit, winning 3 out of 3, killing the assassin once

Glorfindel, Beravor, Aragorn for Lore, winning 3 out of 3, killing the assassin once

Beorn, Boromir, Legolas for Tactics, winning 3 out of 3, killing the assassin twice

Total 41 points.

ps: Decks made for this only, would not succeed much elsewhere but that was the idea, right?

#24 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well done, Ana and Horus! To be honest, I'd never expected such a high win-loss ratio for this scenario. Winning 12 games in a row is superb! And yes, Ana, it was all about building decks against this scenario specifically. Would be great if both of you could post some of your decks as an inspiratioj for those who still struggle with PiP.

As the cursed board here doesn't allow me to edit the first post ATM (sometimes I can do it, but most of the time not - WTF?), I'm posting the rankings here. There are still 11 hours to go…

RESULTS

1) Ana - 41 points

2) son_of_horus - 35 points

3) Ileimoen - 16 points

4) Pharmboys2013 - 15 points

5) leptokurt - 10 points

6) players who don't do competions on principle

#25 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

I too could not edit my post, there is a minor mistake, I didn't use Imrahil in the end, it was Aragorn instead together with Théodred and Boromir in the Leadership deck. I don't think I did anything special, maybe it was just luck. In the Leadership deck, there were all Gondorian allies available to boost attack, and later willpower with Faramir, Citadel Custodian proved much better than I had thought, he indeed works well for A Very Good Tale. I will post the decks later if anyone is interested. The Tactics had almost all the Eagles and Bofur for the willpower in the end. Spirit was good with Zigil Stargazer combo (shafted, of course) and Out of Sight to aid defence. Having 8 hero attack strength with Lore was the key for the early stages. I did use Master of Lore and many 2 and 3-cost allies there. Protector of Lórien and Asfaloth were also instrumental.

#26 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

Yes Ana I'd love to see the decks :)

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#27 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Boromir, Aragorn, Théodred

Errand-rider x3

Envoy of Pelargir x3

Citadel Guard x3

Dúnedain Watcher x3

Erestor x3

Faramir x3

Citadel Custodian x3

Gandalf x3

Dúnedain Mark x3

Dúnedain Warning x2

Steward of Gondor x3

Sword that was Broken x1

A Very Good Tale x3

Sneak Attack x3

Valiant Sacrifice x3

Fresh Tracks x3

Ever Vigilant x2

For Gondor x3

#28 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Beorn, Boromir, Legolas

Vassal of the Windlord 3x

Winged Guardian 2x

Gondorian Spearman 3x

Trollshaw Scout 2x

Bofur 3x

Eagles of the Misty Mountains 3x

Landroval 1x

Gandalf 3x

Horn of Gondor 1x

Blade of Gondolin 2x

Rivendell Blade 3x

Spear of the Citadel 3x

Support of the Eagles 3x

The Eagles are Coming! 1x

Straight Shot 2x

Foe-Hammer 3x

Quick Strike 3x

Hail of Stone 3x

Feint 3x

Thicket of Spear 3x

#29 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Dúnhere, Eleanor, Glorfindel

Arwen Undómiel 3x

Imladris Stargazer 3x

Zigil Miner 3x

The Riddermark's Finest 3x

Northern Tracker 3x

Damrod 1x

Elfhelm 1x

Gandalf 1x

Blood of Númenor 1x

Light of Valinor 3x

Ancient Mathom 3x

Unexpected Courage 3x

Resourceful 3x

Elrond's Counsel 3x

A Test of Will 3x

Hasty Stroke 2x

Dwarven Tomb 3x

A Light in the Dark 2x

The Galadhrim's Greeting 3x

Out of Sight 2x

Stand and Fight 1x

ps: This is my favourite, especially as the heroes look very nice; Gandalf here is the Hobbit version

#30 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Aragorn, Beravor, Glorfindel

Henamarth Riversong 3x

Gléowine 2x

Master of the Forge 2x

Miner of the Iron Hills 3x

Warden of Healing 3x

Ithilien Tracker 3x

Master of Lore 3x

Mirkwood Runner 3x

Silvan Tracker 2x

Haldir of Lórien 1x

Gildor Inglorion 1x

Protector of Lórien 3x

Asfaloth 1x

Ranger Spikes 3x

A Burning Brand 3x

Forest Snare 2x

Daeron's Runes 3x

Rumour of the Earth 1x

Infighting 2x

Expecting Mischief 3x

Strider's Path 3x

#31 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Shoot!  Haven't had the time to try this before the deadline, but I really liked the concept… PLEASE come up with some more of these as time goes on!

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#32 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

I also missed the deadline but I only scored 6 total anyway. This was a great idea and it did really help pass the time waiting for Steward's Fear, I hope we can do more of this in the future!

#33 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Great decks, Ana. Thanks for the time sharing them up.

#34 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

FINAL RESULTS

1) Ana - 41 points

2) son_of_horus - 35 points

3) Ileimoen - 16 points

4) Pharmboys2013 - 15 points

5) leptokurt - 10 points

6) players who don't do competions on principle or who have missed the deadline (losers!)

Ana, you're the undisputed winner of the first LOTR Solo Mono Challenge! Congratulations!

As a reward you may take the title of the LOTR Solo Mono Challenge I. Champion into your signature. You deserve it!

I will think up another challenge for next week, and I will give you lame guys a longer timelimit.

#35 son_of_horus

son_of_horus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

So close!!  Great job Ana I'll get you next time!  I think the next one should be against the quest in The Steward's Fear.  No prep, no knowing what's happening right away, just go and get it!!

#36 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Haha, I am sure I am not going to get a perfect score any time soon. Thanks.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS