• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

TiLT said:

I compiled the application for .Net 4.5, which I only now discovered isn't supported on Windows XP. I'll see if I can safely downgrade it to .Net 4, then post an updated version if it works. Sorry about that. 

No problem. Eagerly waiting a Win XP compatible version!

#42 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

The generator has been updated to use version 4 of .NET instead of version 4.5. This means that it should now work on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed. It will most likely not work on older service packs, and I do not intend to support those. Please let me know if any of you encounter any problems after this change. You can download it by clicking here

Soapbox time:

It's really quite amazing that there's still demand for compatibility with a 12 year old piece of software. That's a long time, especially when it comes to computers. Here are a few things that happened in 2001, the year that Windows XP was released: 

• 9/11
  • George W. Bush celebrated the end of his first year as President.
  • The first Harry Potter movie and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring premiered.
  • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal was released for PC.
  • Wizards of the Coast released Chainmail due to the success of D&D 3rd Edition, which was released the year before. 
  • Wikipedia went online for the first time.
  • Napster was closed by the RIAA. 
  • Apple released the iPod. 

... Now I feel old.

Anyway, XP is a relic of times past. If you're still using XP on your home computer, upgrade! There's simply no reason to keep using XP at this point. 

Alright, time to step off the soapbox. :)

Edited by TiLT, 03 July 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#43 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

And no, Windows XP is not considered Archeotech. ;)

#44 Generaljimbo

Generaljimbo

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Was talking about this at work the other day and apparently XP is worldwide the most widely used PC operating system with nearly 40% of PCs worldwide using it. 

#45 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

And yet, Windows xp runs pretty much all the software I could possibly want! Imagine that. ;) ;)

#46 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

Was talking about this at work the other day and apparently XP is worldwide the most widely used PC operating system with nearly 40% of PCs worldwide using it. 

It's not. Windows 7 had 44,37% of the market share at last count and rising, while XP had 37,17%. These stats are misleading. The vast, vast majority of XP installations are in organizations that haven't upgraded because it's expensive and/or they might rely on legacy software. For home installations, XP has a very, very small market share comparatively, and it's dropping fast. 

And yet, Windows xp runs pretty much all the software I could possibly want! Imagine that. ;) ;)

If it did, we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we?

Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP next year, and so will almost every developer out there (me included). Many stopped years ago. I'm providing XP compatibility for the generator out of courtesy, but I will have no qualms about dropping it in an instant if doing so means I can add a nifty and useful feature to the application. 

#47 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

And my company's IT still doesn't want to install my beloved win'98 on my PC :P

Great generator by the way.

#48 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

If it did, we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we?

Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP next year, and so will almost every developer out there (me included). Many stopped years ago. I'm providing XP compatibility for the generator out of courtesy, but I will have no qualms about dropping it in an instant if doing so means I can add a nifty and useful feature to the application. 

The only two things I have found I want that it doesn't run are your thing and the latest Xcom, and I hear there is a workaround for XCom.

Edited by Gavinfoxx, 04 July 2013 - 08:39 AM.

• Brother Praetus likes this

#49 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

There's simply no reason to keep using XP at this point. 

Classic vintage games (surpisingly some of them have not yet shown up with new editions on GoG),  That is all.

#50 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

There's simply no reason to keep using XP at this point. 

Classic vintage games (surpisingly some of them have not yet shown up with new editions on GoG),  That is all.

This, totally this!

#51 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

OME (Ohh My Emperor) what a marvelous creation.  The Omnissiah has certianly blessed you with an advanced cogitator upon creation.  ;)  Love this application and I greatly appreciate the hard work and dedication it must of taken to complete it.

• TiLT likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#52 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

I really love your system generator Tilt and I appreciate the amount of work you've put into it! Now for the painful request: Would it be possible for the Gm to determine (or edit) certain features either prior to or after generation? Say I want an Arid world in the primary biosphere but wanted to random everything else. Do you see what I mean?

For those who are interested; I found a way to do this. When you export the file (In my case to Microsoft word) you can edit the resulting file however you like! I may be a little slow on the uptake ;)  but this saves me a whole bunch of hassles from trying to generate manually. Thanks again Tilt! :D

• TiLT likes this

#53 illathid

illathid

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

I just saw this and started playing around with it. Very cool. This will actually let me use Stars of Inequity at the table, which I've wanted to do for a while.

The only thing I'd really like to be added is a way to generate & track Warp routes as given in the Navis Primer. I've got a navigator in my group and trying to keep track of it all is quite daunting.

#54 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

That's a good idea, though even that would be a bit of work. I would imagine that such a tool would have you picking a starting system (or area of the Koronus Expanse in case you're not using an official system) and a target system (or area), then generate the results based on both the random tables and the exceptions based on where you are. 

It's not something I'm going to look into in the immediate future. I've got WAY too much on my plate right now. 

#55 illathid

illathid

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

That's a good idea, though even that would be a bit of work. I would imagine that such a tool would have you picking a starting system (or area of the Koronus Expanse in case you're not using an official system) and a target system (or area), then generate the results based on both the random tables and the exceptions based on where you are. 

It's not something I'm going to look into in the immediate future. I've got WAY too much on my plate right now.

Oh, yeah. I wasn't trying to say "you should do this right now." It was more of a, "pie in the sky" idea. Thanks again for the great tool.

#56 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

Interesting. I can't install this, and I'm running Windows 7 on this machine. Advice?

#57 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

There's nothing to install. Just run the executable. 

As for advice, I can't help you unless you give me something to work with. Your post is about equivalent with someone saying "my car doesn't work. What's wrong with it?" to someone who can't see said car. ;)

Edited by TiLT, 03 August 2013 - 02:08 AM.

#58 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

There's nothing to install. Just run the executable. 

As for advice, I can't help you unless you give me something to work with. Your post is about equivalent with someone saying "my car doesn't work. What's wrong with it?" to someone who can't see said car. ;)

Sorry about that, I was kinda pressed for time.

...and I think I found the problem, and that it's with my own set-up :( So please don't worry yourself about it.

#59 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:59 AM

No problem! Hope you got it working. :)

#60 MagosSteel

MagosSteel

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Love this piece of software!!!  This has saved me so much time and energy while improving my groups experience with the game.  The only thing I could ask for is the ability to edit generate items attributes, however this has already been addressed and I am happy with that.  Good work TiLT, very impressive.

I am also a huge fan of the ability to add in descriptions for objects, allows me to fill in backstory directly in the program. 

I have encountered a small bug, I appear to be unable to rename objects that orbit planets besides regular moons.  The asteroids and lesser moons will open the box to rename themselves but it will not take affect.  I am unsure if this is an intentional feature or just a local bug for my system.

Edited by MagosSteel, 07 August 2013 - 06:00 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS