49 pages later

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 amoshias

amoshias

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

The text on the card bears no relationship to any alternate wording which would allowed it to be played based on that ruling. Going to the wording of the card is counterproductive.

#22 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

Going to the wording of the card is counterproductive.

Ignore the card if you want, but it's generally a bad idea to assume that the wording on a card is NOT what was meant by FFG unless specifically countered, which in this case, wasn't done. There was a clarification that it didn't apply to only a single hero/monster, but when conversing with the community, you can't just say "Well, that means NOTHING on the card is useful and expect it to stick."

#23 amoshias

amoshias

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

I'll let you explain to me, then, the following two things:

1. How you consider changing "a monster" to "any number of monsters" to be "a clarification." Feel free to use any dictionary you choose.

2. What your proposed re-wording of the card that still uses a useful amount of the text? Because you seem pretty certain that the "way the card reads" it "certainly implies" something which is clearly in no way contemplated by the original wording of the card.

If FFG is going to ignore the card, I'm going to do so as well. Luckily, it's not like I'm likely to play the class any time soon, as it's still terrible even with the change :-)

#24 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Old thread, but at least it deals with the new issue of "Concentration." The ruling on "ancestor's spirits" applies to that skill and that skill only. We cannot assume that in general "a hero" means "every hero", otherwise "Trading Pains" would be a wonderfully devilish (and broken) card. Also, chronology is important- the people writing the "concentration" ability presumably had knowledge of the confusion and ruling on "ancestor's spirits." Don't you think that if they meant for "concentration" to apply to all heroes, it would have been clarified? If an official question is asked and answered, that's fine- until then, I see no reason to believe that "concentration" shouldn't be played as written.

With regard to "ancestor's spirits" and using both effects at once, in normal attack it doesn't work. Heroes would recover the fatigue or wound when spending surges, and after that is finished, damage would be dealt. You  could exhaust the card in response to one trigger or the other, but not "twice" to gain both effects. Even if it were a case of simultaneous damage dealt and healed, the golden rule would apply, and the exhaustion would apply only to the trigger it immediately follows.

Edited by Zaltyre, 10 April 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#25 amoshias

amoshias

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Zaltyre - In no cases am I ever going to assume that FFG read any of their own rules, rulings or cards when making new stuff - ESPECIALLY Shadows. So no, I DON'T think if they meant X it would be clarified :-) That being said, I agree with you about the actual ruling.

As for ancestor's spirits and both effects at once, I think you're thinking about it too hard. It combos with the Spiritspeaker skill Tempest to trigger both abilities... that combo (as far as I can tell) is the only reason to play the class. It's not much of a reason.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS