Photo

4 Years In: What do you and your fellow players think of WFRP?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Gambin

Gambin

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

This is my most played and read RPG I've ever owned. There's parts of the system I love and parts that annoy me a bit. People moan about storage but I've managed to fit pretty much everything in the core box. I'm looking forward to playing eote as Star Wars was where my RPG hobby started but I have a feeling that I'll want to come back to wfrp sooner rather than later.
  • Emirikol likes this

#62 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

I agree that WFRP stands as one of the most memorable rpgs I've ever played. When I look at other systems, I just know I'm going to miss the custom dice and how that works. I can manage without the cards in EotE, but that's because they use talents and strain to do pretty much the same as recharge tokens do in WFRP.

I've cut down out house rules to two pages. Going back to abstract movement for instance. Just using the grid to easily see range bands. I've balanced the reckless dice, because they are just too poor compared to conservative. Especially seeing as 4+ successes are pointless for most actions.

#63 Ninefingers

Ninefingers

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Been 3 years since I've played. Just starting to gear up to run some of the stuff that's come out since last time. the new TEW and Witchs song probably.

Our first run through years ago. Players liked the dice, the mechanics ( okay except for one, who's always dislikedWFRP magic in any edition, yet has alway wanted to play a wizard- so that's on him), and the adventures. We played through Eye for an Eye and Gathering Storm, as well as stuff I made up myself or ported from 1E.

In the end though, we put it aside. At the time there were 6 of us at the table, and things became to cluttered.

As a. GM I liked the system but hated the piece meal way it was released. I found my self feeling like I had access to only , maybe half a game. I filled things using 1 and 2 stuff as inspiration, but it became more work then I wanted to do.

There were also rules and tools I quickly dropped. Party card? Nope. Social combat? No thanks. A/C/E ? Pain in the butt.
( funny now that I think of it 1E was the only edition I've ever run RAW, 2E had a lot of fiddly crap I ignored...)

I also disliked the physical nature of it all. The boxes, thin splat books, etc. I'm a more then one book on the table is to many books kinda guy. And those boxes? Ugh.

Fast forward 3 years later, I'm down 3 players ( time moves on and people move away). My wife asked me if I'd be willing to run Warhammer again. I could have picked any of the 3 editions- so despite my negative comments, there's gotta be something to it.
  • Emirikol likes this

#64 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

One of my favorite systems is savage worlds. It handles combat very well and if you want a huge fight with 50+ NPCs, then you can do so and finish it in two hours. The system is realy elegant, fast and yet has depth. It's very warhammerish with exploding dice which can result in one hit kills. There is a great warhammer conversion for savage worlds on the net (savage warhammer - a 90 page pdf). You could give it a shot if you want a game system, where the focus is on story, combat can be fast and gritty and it's easy to use for warhammer.

Edited by Gallows, 12 October 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#65 Ninefingers

Ninefingers

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'm not sure if the SW recommendation is directed at my comments.

I appreciate the recommendation, and I own a copy of it. However I will stick l to giving 3 a 2nd shake down.

This time around I'm eager to see how it works with fewer players. To be honest we had only a few issues w/ it the time around. W/ the exception of one players issue with how magic works ( more then once he hinted that there should be an effort to port D&D spells in to various editions - yuck), and a few comments that characters seemed more resilient in 3, then 1 or 2.

The big issue were: lack of a complete rule set. So much that had been present in earlier editions was missing.. The overall initial impression we got was the game wasn't designed for long term play. Not with out lots off "addons". Or lots of home brewed material. Or a game that's large group friendly. Not with out buying extra sets.

4 years later there's a good deal of territory that has been covered ( material that I'd argue should have been in the core game), but it seems more or less a whole game at this point. And, if as some have suggested, 3s development is winding down , perhaps I can get them in the cheap side.

The other being the physical nature of the thing. Portability, prep time, clean up and storage to be precise .

With more material covered and a better understanding of this beast, fewer players and enough time to consider what I am going to do with it, who knows?this time around it Might be a great success, might be an abject failure....

If I'm bitter about one thing where 3E is concerned its only because it took them nearly 4 years to release the entire game. When I read about how much more refined EotEs mechanics are I can't help thinking: Who knows, had a complete WFRP 3 been released 4 years ago, perhaps we'd be that much closer to a more finely tuned WFRP 4?

Of course that scenario would open up a whole new can of worms.

Edit: I may sound mostly critical. But it feels more like the game was largely an "experiment" in game mechanics and marketing. And, again, it's not a horrible game. My group DID enjoy it, the first time around. It wasn't the game mechanics that ended the campaign, it's what was missing at that time.

Edited by Ninefingers, 12 October 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#66 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

I would have liked to see an elf book.  Dark, high and wood all in one would have been cool.  Otherwise I think its a great system.  We actually use descent 2 tiles and GW figs..so good.

• Emirikol likes this

#67 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Still loving it.  Yes want more support for additional races and parts of the Old World etc., more pods for additional orders and faiths, or career niches etc.

• k7e9 and No:12 like this

#68 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

I agree. Additional races (the different elven races and maybe Brettonia) need a box, but other than that pods could cover the faiths/orders and more specific career areas (I'd like more PoD expansions in a similar format as 'From the Grave' with a few careers, actions, talents etc.). It's quite a complete game as it is right now, but the elves really need a box to make the game feel truly whole.

We still feel it's a great game, one of the best, and we're having a lot of fun with it in our gaming group. We've never played a single RPG constantly for this long.

Edited by k7e9, 07 January 2014 - 01:38 PM.

• Emirikol and No:12 like this

#69 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

I support a lot of what FFG does with my wallet.  I don't ask for much...but man I really really wanted a high elf book.  When they printed the dwarf book....I was like sweeet we are definitely getting an elf book.  At least in my mind elves would be a better seller no?  Ah well...maybe a POD white lion...

I also wanted alternative art/race career cards...I dont know why but I would have liked having all the races for each class represented.  I figure you poured this much awesome into it, why stop half way?  At least in my area it seems like more GW hate and less the game is no good.  I can't believe how polarizing GW can be...but me personally, I've always liked GW High elves.

#70 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

There are still people with this game on their shelves who've never played it:  http://www.enworld.o...257#post6311257

#71 DrWorm73

DrWorm73

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:48 AM

So far this is one of the two best systems I have played.  The other was an old James Bond game by Victory Games, and one of the things that they have in common is that actions are not binary- they have some measure of success from mediocre to great.  I also love the action cards/recharge system because it forces players to not do the same thing for 5 turns like attacking in 3.5 D&D.  That gets so boring, especially in a long encounter, but the action cards with recharge really push the players away from that in a nice way.

I am also a long time card gamer, so I kinda like having them in hand and the quality of the fiddly bits (as someone put it) really makes them a joy to use.

• k7e9 and Carcosa like this

#72 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Man o man, VG's James Bond Was an great semi- percentile based system!! If anyone has never played it, I really recommend getting a copy of the core rulebook just to have a good look at the mechanics of the game.

#73 DrWorm73

DrWorm73

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Man o man, VG's James Bond Was an great semi- percentile based system!! If anyone has never played it, I really recommend getting a copy of the core rulebook just to have a good look at the mechanics of the game.

Yea, several times I have thought about making a fantasy game using it, but I am really not that ambitious and my gaming group tends to be a bit leery about fan-made stuff anyway.

#74 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:58 AM

@DrWorm

Come on, they are all playing "fan games" to an extent!!

Try it out, it is an "official system", all you would have to do is change some of the skills to a more fantasy setting. I don't know if you have access to it, but have a read of the original "DC Hero's" rules as well for some suggestions on how to deal with stuff like magic and mysticism and you could create  damn solid RPG system IF, and I stress IF, you want a more free-flowing kind of game.

If all your players want is truck 'o' rules however, Skills and Powers 2nd ED D&D would be perfect for them, or perhaps Bushido. :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS