Photo

4 Years In: What do you and your fellow players think of WFRP?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Aranei said:

And for those who miss 2ed stuff - it can really be converted into 3ed, try it! But if I don't mistake, there was no book dedicated to elves in 2ed, so long-eared kin still suffer from the void of content.

http://liberfanatica...lf_Project.html

#22 Aranei

Aranei

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

That's great! Thank you!

#23 korknadel

korknadel

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

I am still in love with this game.

Sadly I was never able to run one group for more than three sessions, but I played a lot of oneshots, and it's my favourite game to gamemaster.

#24 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

For those of you who want to play, but have odd schedules or find it hard to get groups together, try out the virtual online tabletop games.  there is a very active online community playing using Maptool or Fantasy grounds.

Check first at google+ groups

#25 nephtys

nephtys

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

we still love the game

it is almost a pick up and play game as the core rules are explained in like 30 minutes and everything is tought as you go.

we have been playing for 3 years now with some short breaks and still have not touched every topic there is yet. we are still missing out on skave and undead and also lots and lost of other creatures we haven't ecnountered yet.

but as a GM there comes the time when you are sucked out and have no new ideas…im at that point now. as we play in german i dont want to buy stuff like TEW which i would have to completely translate before we can play…
btw, does anyone know a site with good 3e scenarios/adventures in german?

greetings
neph

#26 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

Here's what I'd do:

Grab some of the fan scenario downloads that are in English (email me or send me a message know if you can't find them) and let google translat them for you.  That is a very quick process.  It's what I do for your German scenarios and even the French ones.  

Here is the latest batch of scenarios from Germany:  http://www.soehne-si...rb-august-2012/

Then follow up on this site:  http://www.altewelt....ewforum.php?f=6

There are many scenarios that can quickly be translated with google translate.  It's not perfect, but can break that log jam in your mind for new ideas.  Here is a link to the scenarios:  http://gallery.rptoo...NLOAD LINKS.pdf

Best,

jh

#27 nephtys

nephtys

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

great, thx.

gonna spend the next few days reading/translating all these! ;)

#28 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have a if not love / hate ...then a love / frustration relationship with the system due to too mainly social combat, partysheet, general unbalanceness etc. 

The group I regularly play WFRP with 2 players loves the system - 1 doesnt really like it but is ok with it ...then me...and two Im not really sure of ... In my other gaming group we tested in just when it came out and there Im pretty much the only one who is ok with it ...with the others being die hard 2end lovers and 'fiddly bit and weird dice' haters 

#29 Tush Hog

Tush Hog

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

I'll echo what many have said already. I love WFRP 3e. The system is so much fun to GM and Play. I feel like I've only scratched the surface on what it can do.

I find most other systems boring and unimaginative when compared to 3e.

#30 JA_42

JA_42

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Exactly same, more than 3 years we play with this system.

We (I, i'm the GM afterall :) ) like :

- cards, easiere than read books or part of explanation on character's sheet

- token to drive actions and multiply use

- stress/fatigue so great to still be "human"

- dice of course... no more "fault of GM" and so intuitive and reach. but need many of them

- stance meter, my favorite, with twice side of actions... SO RPG!!! and I'm very "on the edge" with change during play (means that I ask some Roleplaying clue that this character change)

We don't use :

- character paper  miniature... don't need, it's RPG, not strategic boardgame or wargame... only need paper, pen and imagination

- location cards... it's a good idea, but too long to search good one and in fact, it's more for beginers (GM especally) 'cause normaly, we add bonus/malus automaticaly. just a reminder

- monster party sheet... as location for my part

We use but not enough:

- party sheet: I love idea and put some token for great playing... but often forget... and the stress meter doesn't work with skilled players (not characters, players): they rarely aren't "ok" on situation, never loose time to choose sorting during battle, ...

so, we love and just need more expansion (like in my other subject, expansion about elves, because we have very few carrier for them, especally advanced, elite, ...)

#31 FStark

FStark

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

I recently introduced the system to two female friends who are not in anyway hard-core gamers and they both took to the system instantly and loved it. They thought it was very intuitive, visual, and non-mathy (unlike most other rpgs). We all love the cards. The effort that has gone into this game is staggering. I am a long-time DnD player and I don't miss at all wading through book after book to find that particular feat that you forgot to write down all the details about. The player aids just keep you immersed without those silly distractions. Congrats Jay Little and the FFG team! With the introduction of the new Edge of the Empire SWRPG I foresee more people being converted to this revolutionary approach to rpg and more fans for Warhammer. I think it would be great if they produced a beginners introductory adventure box set like they did with the Star Wars game with all the walk throughs and visual aids. With all the excitement about the new SWRPG, now would be a great time to do that.

Thanks to FFG for all their work on this superb system!

• Keeop likes this

#32 Pedro Lunaris

Pedro Lunaris

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yes, thanks FFG for the work done!

And please come back and do some more of it.

#33 fjw70

fjw70

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Glad to see most people still liking this game. After seeing the beta of Star Wars Edge of the Empire I decided to check out the sister game of WHFRP. So last year I bought the core set and a bunch of dice (I heard dice were hard to come by so I bought every set I could find -- I got 5 sets I think) but I haven't done anything with it yet. With the EotE core book just out I will probably b busy with that but I hope to get around to WH some day.

Edited by fjw70, 13 July 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#34 The 1 Eyed King

The 1 Eyed King

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hi folks, I normally just follow forums but you all seem like a canny bunch. I've arrived late to the 3rd edition party. I've been GM'ing WFRP since around '87 off and on and always loved the setting. Over the last few years I'd almost decided to throw the towel in regards gaming as things had got stale amongst the group. Then I saw that there was a new edition out and I got all nostalgic for 'ye good olde days in Bogenhafen', and bought it.

I'm running it with two seperate groups now and am three and four sessions in respectively, and its like we all have a new lease of roleplaying life. The basic book is pretty inscrutable, but the flavour of Warhammer is captured perfectly, and the dice system is inspired. As I've just started, there's a plethora of supplements for me to get excited about, but I see from those of you who've been with 3rd edtn since the start that the lack of information about future products is getting frustrating.

FFG have something special here, and there's probably a lost generation of ex-gamers out their who could be a large untapped market for their products who could be brought back into the fold; if only they could be reached.

I'd like to see FFG follow the film industry and generate excitement by advertising new products with 'teaser trailers' of art and emotive text a year ahead of potential release.

Thanks for getting me back into the Old World.

#35 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm one the old second ed. crew that screamed fire and brimstone when 3e got announced.

"Custom dice? PUZZLE FIT PIECES? THIEVERY!!!"

But one day I just decided, hell, I had the box, I'll give it a lash.

That was three years ago, now I am a complete wfrp3 junky, as my previous love for the background has now been enhanced with a system that I think is fun, descriptive and lends well to good roleplaying.

NOW PRINT SOME NEW STUFF FFG.

• x13phantom likes this

#36 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

I like WFRP 3, but the rules leaves a lot to be desired for high rank play in terms of balance. They have tried to remedy this to some extent, but it still needs house rules to work at my table.

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.

Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.

I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

One thing I'll transfer to WFRP is the advesary talent in place of giving bigger mobs defensive cards and just focus on giving them a fee signature cards.

I'll use their threat level divided by something and rounded down to work their advesary level out

Edited by Gallows, 18 July 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#37 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

I like WFRP 3, but the rules leaves a lot to be desired for high rank play in terms of balance. They have tried to remedy this to some extent, but it still needs house rules to work at my table.

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.  Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.  I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

One thing I'll transfer to WFRP is the advesary talent in place of giving bigger mobs defensive cards and just focus on giving them a fee signature cards.

I'll use their threat level divided by something and rounded down to work their advesary level out

Gallows:

How does EotE play at high levels and how are the Jedi powers going to be at high level?  Are they going to release cards for Jedi or is it going to be freeform talent trees like it is for the other classes/careers?

Also, what big things do you feel stick out at high level in terms of balance when your WFRP3 gaming group played regularly at Rank 4+.

I've never had a campaign go past about Rank 3 (33 advances was our group's highest advance in our Dying of the Light campaign), so I'm interested in hearing from all of you who have actually played campaigns into Rank 5 and above.  I know Valvorik's campaigns have gone into 8th Rank, but he didn't indicate many issues.

The only trouble I have with bits are that I don't use most of them.  Its just as easy to use a pencil and paper. As for my Rank 3 play, we had a lot of player characters die.  Are the characters in your Rank 4 WFRP3 groups dying often as well?

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 18 July 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#38 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.  Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.  I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

Gallows:
How does EotE play at high levels and how are the Jedi powers going to be at high level?  Are they going to release cards for Jedi or is it going to be freeform talent trees like it is for the other classes/careers?

Also, what big things do you feel stick out at high level in terms of balance when your WFRP3 gaming group played regularly at Rank 4+.

I've never had a campaign go past about Rank 3 (33 advances was our group's highest advance in our Dying of the Light campaign), so I'm interested in hearing from all of you who have actually played campaigns into Rank 5 and above.  I know Valvorik's campaigns have gone into 8th Rank, but he didn't indicate many issues.

The only trouble I have with bits are that I don't use most of them.  Its just as easy to use a pencil and paper. As for my Rank 3 play, we had a lot of player characters die.  Are the characters in your Rank 4 WFRP3 groups dying often as well?

jh

The dice of EotE are balanced perfectly. Competitive checks for instance. Two people with same stat/skill will have slightly over 50% success rate for the active party. In WFRP the success rate for the same situation at high level is 90% or more for the active party at rank 4+ and at low level it can be lower than 30% for two of the same stat/skill.

Attack/defense follows the same pattern and breaks down at high level.

EotE has some wonderful mechanics and the dice pool bloating is very limited compared to WFRP at high levels. In WFRP when we played through 1000 thrones we had some dice pools getting well past 20 dice.

Apart from that I like the setting they have made, the way a lot of customization/progression is hidden in equipmemt upgrades, starship upgrades etc. The way stats and skills work is brilliant. The starship gives players a base of operations right oit the box, supported by game mechanics. It and equipmemt upgrades support a dynamic and living player economy right from the start.

I am a fantasy GM by heart, but EotE has won me over and impressed me a great deal.

#39 Tush Hog

Tush Hog

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.
Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.
I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

I've had kind of the opposite reaction to EotE compared to WFRP. I like Edge a lot, but I miss some of the cool stuff in WFRP (Actions and stance especially). For me, it misses some of the magic that has made warhammer my favorite system.

#40 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Each Jedi power comes in the form of a tree.

By buying the "base power" (for example Sense) you can already do a few basic things (sense emotions lets say); then by investing XPs on the power tree, you can customise it in different ways (more range, affect more targets, side effects etc.)

But truth be told, the core book for force users is not going to be released until 2015 or so, so nobody knows exactly how the force user careers are going to be.

Actually, I am not sure if I even agree that Warhammer has a balance problem at high levels. From my experience the balance problem starts much sooner. With as few as 10 sessions, any PC will have easily 2 yellow dice in a skill plus two (or more) fortune dice. What I experienced is that too soon (and too often) I had to "invent" justifications to throw a big enough amount of misfortune dice in order to put some challenge on the skill checks of my players, otherwise no lock was hard enough to open, no trail was difficult to follow, and no merchant /noble could stand against the haggling skills of the PCs. This is something I am not typically against of, but if it happens too fast, like in warhammer 3, I don't like it, I prefer a less step PC evolution like in SW EotE.

On the other hand, this is not an issue in combat. In Warhammer 3 you will always find a combination of critter + action card strong enough as to pose a terrible challenge for the whole party, even if they are rank 5. Indeed, at the end of my "time" playing warhammer 3, I realized that the game has too much focus on combat, may be less than D&D, I don't know that, but too much for my taste...just a few thoughts

Enjoy,

Yepes

Edited by Yepesnopes, 19 July 2013 - 02:26 AM.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS