Question for those who WON a 2013 regional championship

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 sinclair5150

sinclair5150

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm most certainly am hoping to go but thats a lllooonnng time away from now, who knows what work and family situations will be like by then.  I'm going to a second Regional (Greer, SC) in a couple weeks so if I do well there then maybe that'll give me even more of a reason to talk my wife into it, lol.  Also I've gotten my cousin into the game and he is going with me to that Regional so if he does well then….. who knows.  Hothie, I would certainly look forward to meeting you should I go.

#22 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hmm, water dripping through ceiling means high probability of mold.  That is very useful to know.  Radisson, ho!

#23 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Darth Vader + Engine Upgrades + Concussion Missile

Soontir Fel + Stealth Device + Push the Limit

Night Beast + Stealth Device

Academy Pilot

4-1

Shot down a lot of Falcon builds.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Worlds!

#24 DarthOctane

DarthOctane

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Won mine of May 4th. I ran

Darth Vader

Engine Upgrade

Homing Missles

Soontir Fel

Push the Limit

Stealth Upgrade

Turr Fenir

Stealth Upgrade

(still trying to come up with a squad name) I am thinking 31337 or 999 the squad that flipped the devil on his head

Undefeated and had at least one Falcon against me every match. Even had a dual Falcon for one of them. See you guys at worlds and Hoping I can squeeze in the Vikings Game that thursday night. GO VIKES!

#25 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I refer to that list as the Allstars.

It's probably my favorite 100 pt build to play, but scary to run in tournaments because a single lucky hit ruins your day.

The only difference when I run it is concussion missile on vader and vet instincts on Turr

#26 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

I won with four TIEs:

Soontir Fel with Push the Limit

Saber Squadron Pilot with Push the Limit

Howlrunner with Push the Limit.

I went 3-0, defeating a three Bounty Hunter list, a 6 TIE Swarm, and a two Bounty Hunter + Howlrunner list.

#27 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

niceas said:

I won with four TIEs:

I went 3-0, defeating a three Bounty Hunter list, a 6 TIE Swarm, and a two Bounty Hunter + Howlrunner list.

cool list. very aggressive. i bet u focus fire alot? Sabres can be gr8 blockers too eh? so manouvreable.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#28 womba

womba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

Won my local regionals with a Chewie list going 3-0.

Chewie:

• Veteran Instincts
  • Gunner

Wedge:

• Swarm Tactics

Rookie Pilot

I played a couple Firespray swarm type lists, which seemed easy to beat. My toughest match was against Han Shoots First but when it was down to Chewie vs Han the critical hits really took a toll on Han. Veteran Instincts was surprisingly relevant for my Chewie during the day but I am still unsure if that is 100% correct to be honest.

Cya guys at worlds!!

#29 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

womba said:

Won my local regionals with a Chewie list going 3-0.

Chewie:

• Veteran Instincts
  • Gunner

Wedge:

• Swarm Tactics

Rookie Pilot

I played a couple Firespray swarm type lists, which seemed easy to beat. My toughest match was against Han Shoots First but when it was down to Chewie vs Han the critical hits really took a toll on Han. Veteran Instincts was surprisingly relevant for my Chewie during the day but I am still unsure if that is 100% correct to be honest.

Cya guys at worlds!!

nice list. to b honest id replace veteran instincts with draw their fire on chewie. it keeps the heat off wedge :) can even save ur rookie at times. will paint a bulls-eye on chewie but then wedge is free to smash face :)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#30 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

The_Brown_Bomber said:

niceas said:

I won with four TIEs:

cool list. very aggressive. i bet u focus fire alot? Sabres can be gr8 blockers too eh? so manouvreable.

I didn't actually use them to block most of the time - instead, if they were going before my enemies ships, they were the bait.  If they were going after (during the movement phase), they were aggressively staying out of firing arcs to lay in the damage safely.

#31 Littlebull76

Littlebull76

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Hi Tony. Fancy seeing you here :) I finally caved and joined these forums too….

I have won two regionals. The first squad was:

Chewbacca + Draw Their Fire + Gunner + Millenium Falcon 

Han Solo + Gunner

There were 28 people at this recent regional. I went 4-0 in the qualifiers and 3-0 in the playoff. Overall, I thought the squad played nicely, but I thought that there were too many times when I won just because I had a lucky dice roll to kill a ship (i.e. one-shotting a ship should never be standard, and yet I did it several times to TIEs). That unnerves me. I kept the trophy and let the other guy take the ticket, since I already had one.

The second was a while back in April, so I'll do my best to remember. I remember having Howlrunner and two interceptors…. I believe it was:

Howlrunner + Stealth Device + Swarm Tactics

Saber Squadron + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

Saber Squadron + Push the Limit

Obsidian Squadron

Obsidian Squadron

I went undefeated here. There were less players there (I would guess a dozen). I liked the squad-esque feel, but it was lacking in my favorite swarm maneuver: Action denial. Sorry I don't remember more. It was a while ago (up north. I think you know what I mean).

I also played in a third regional. I went undefeated in the preliminary rounds. They cut to the top 4 and I flew off the map near the end of the semi-final game, even though I had it in the bag, to let my good friend have a chance at the finals. I already had a ticket and didn't need another. (It was kinda cruel fate that we ended up playing against each other). I also had to get going because it was getting a little late. Had I stayed in, though I had no qualms against putting my group up against the eventual winner and would have felt confident (3 BH build). If I remember right, this is the one where I saw you there. The squad was:

Howlrunner + Stealth Device + Swarm Tactics

Black Squadron + Draw Their Fire

Backstabber

Alpha Squadron 

Alphq Squadron

Academy Pilot

#32 galonso

galonso

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

I won a regional on 5/18 in Florida.

Bounty Hunter, Assault Missiles, Seismic Charge x2

Howlrunner, Squad Leader

3-1 (3 BHs) and 2-0 in top 4 (2nd seed), beating same 3 BH player who was 4-0 and top seed.

14 players, 7 imperial and 7 rebel

Many thanks to Hothie and my play test partners. I will be attending Worlds.

#33 sinclair5150

sinclair5150

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Congrats on the win. I do love hothie's "Additional Damage" squad, seems tons of fun.

#34 pheaver

pheaver

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

I won an 18-man regional in Chantilly today with "Han and Biggs Shoot First"

Han Solo (Mil Falcon, Swarm Tactics, Gunner)

Biggs

Rookie X-Wing

I went 3-0-1, with my draw against a 4 Y-Wing build in which we both killed precisely 46 points when time was called.  The top 4 was myself, another HSF variant, a Lando + Chewie build, and a Bounty Hunter + tie swarm.  I beat L & C, Bounty Hunter swarm beat the other HSF, and I squeaked a win out against the Bounty Swarm with 2 hull left on Han.

Paul

#35 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

galonso said:

I won a regional on 5/18 in Florida.

Bounty Hunter, Assault Missiles, Seismic Charge x2

Howlrunner, Squad Leader

3-1 (3 BHs) and 2-0 in top 4 (2nd seed), beating same 3 BH player who was 4-0 and top seed.

14 players, 7 imperial and 7 rebel

Many thanks to Hothie and my play test partners. I will be attending Worlds.

Congrats. I'll see you there! (and you're not allowed to play my squad when we meet at Worlds…:P)

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#36 ryanreinert

ryanreinert

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:54 AM

I won a regional in in NJ on 5/11 with the following build:

Outer Rim Smuggler

Rookie Pilot

Rookie Pilot

Dutch Vander, R5-K7, ion cannon

I had some lucky rolls and made a fair share on boneheaded moves, but I went 5-1 in the 17-player tournament.

#37 womba

womba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

pheaver said:

Biggs

Rookie X-Wing

I went 3-0-1, with my draw against a 4 Y-Wing build in which we both killed precisely 46 points when time was called.  The top 4 was myself, another HSF variant, a Lando + Chewie build, and a Bounty Hunter + tie swarm.  I beat L & C, Bounty Hunter swarm beat the other HSF, and I squeaked a win out against the Bounty Swarm with 2 hull left on Han.

Paul

Nice win Paul. Glad to see you finally took one down.

Also thanks for the suggestion The_Brown_Bomber. I took down another regional (20 people this time) on Saturday with the same Chewie, Wedge and Rookie list but added the Draw Their Fire; was pretty relevant during the day for me. I was able to give the card to my friend so I have someone else going out to worlds with me. Two other people were on my list as well. It went 7-2 (3-0; 2-1; 2-1) during the swiss rounds, Draw Their Fire played a pretty key role throughout the day.

#38 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Small 6-player regional in Maine yesterday.  And 4 of us came up from Massachusetts!  Many of the locals who were planning on showing forgot that it was graduation weekend, and some others were playing in the Netrunner tournament scheduled at the same time…

Some more Mass players punted on making the trip, and they will be taunted too ^,^

We wound up with 3 of us at 3-1, and each of us had lost our match within this group!  On points destroyed, it was a narrow margin with:

Blake won with: Han  + Gunner + marksmanship, 2x Gold squad + ion turret.  (he beat Mark)

I came in 2nd using my Howling Commandos swarm.  (I beat Blake; this is 3rd, 1st, and 2nd for me now with this list)

Mark came in 3rd with Han & Biggs (he beat me, but was down to Han having only 1 hull at the end!)

-- Cat

#39 galonso

galonso

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

Just booked my room for Worlds at the Radisson Hotel Roseville for $125 per night. Look forward to meeting everyone. Ill be there on the 6th.

#40 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

womba said:

pheaver said:

Biggs

Rookie X-Wing

Paul

Nice win Paul. Glad to see you finally took one down.

Also thanks for the suggestion The_Brown_Bomber. I took down another regional (20 people this time) on Saturday with the same Chewie, Wedge and Rookie list but added the Draw Their Fire; was pretty relevant during the day for me. I was able to give the card to my friend so I have someone else going out to worlds with me. Two other people were on my list as well. It went 7-2 (3-0; 2-1; 2-1) during the swiss rounds, Draw Their Fire played a pretty key role throughout the day.

cool. glad it worked for u. Draw Their Fire is very underrated imo perhaps the most underrated upgrade from wave2. im going to play a 3 x-wing sqd that uses it on luke (in combination with r2d2 and shield upgrade). big ship builds have taken lots of press. im starting to look at squads that dont use them at all.

Lord Vader

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS